Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
Honestly maybe I'm not the first to consider this but, have we ever thought about my good friend Jersey Fan 12's actual allegiance?

It's easy to look at the name and think "He's a fan of Jersey, the hockey team." I always have. However, given that he has never said a single nice thing about a Devils player, and spends half his time pumping Flyers success, culture, and (especially) prospect pool, maybe he's actually just a ockey fan from Jersey, perhaps, say, the Philadelphia suburbs?
There is no doubt he is not a fan of the Devils. I am guessing it is some Flyers or Ranger fans troll account.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Honestly maybe I'm not the first to consider this but, have we ever thought about my good friend Jersey Fan 12's actual allegiance?

It's easy to look at the name and think "He's a fan of Jersey, the hockey team." I always have. However, given that he has never said a single nice thing about a Devils player, and spends half his time pumping Flyers success, culture, and (especially) prospect pool, maybe he's actually just a ockey fan from Jersey, perhaps, say, the Philadelphia suburbs?

I think it's certainly crossed most of our minds. If it's a troll account, that's one hell of a commitment to the bit. I just figured it was someone that was miserable and complains about everything in life, including their supposed favorite hockey team.

Had just about any other poster on this board made the comment about Meier and Hamilton making more than Crosby I would've just laughed at the joke, but with this guy he may actually be serious.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Crosby is still on an old deal from like 8 years ago and he took a discount for his extension.

Hamilton and Meier essentially got their prime pay day here. Other teams would shell out similar contracts to what we gave them. We were the highest bidder for Hamilton. Our D core prior to signing Dougie consisted of Severson, Murray, Ty Smith, Subban, Kulikov, Vatanen, Butcher, Tennyson, Carrick, Siegenthaler (only 8 games), Bahl & Colton White. Half of those guys aren't even in the NHL anymore...Siegenthaler & Bahl atleast had better days ahead while Smith has struggled to improve and is looking like a bust. Hamilton was badly needed back then and was worth going out to sign. Marino , Graves , Luke , Nemec , Casey , Silayev , etc all came after. It's not even worth shittint on his contract right now...

Nobody was paying Hamilton and/or Meier (nor for that matter Pesce, Bratt nor Dillon) anywhere close to what the Devils are paying them.

During Fitz' tenure the franchise has repeatedly out-bid itself for players.

Would be glad to compliment the organization - and have regularly praised Nico Hischier - when it is merited.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't wanna derail this into wrestling talk again

But every time I see posts like that, I can't help but think of this theme song....

I can already see worthless Terry's wrinkly Shar Pei face walking out there playing air guitar with the big gold belt, with NWO spray painted in black across the front of it.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I don't wanna derail this into wrestling talk again

But every time I see posts like that, I can't help but think of this theme song....

I can already see worthless Terry's wrinkly Shar Pei face walking out there playing air guitar with the big gold belt, with NWO spray painted in black across the front of it.

nWo B-team theme was a banger

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

nWo B-team theme was a banger

I forgot all about that one. And I forgot how common the half mullet or shorter mullet look was in wrestling or particularly WCW in the late 90s.

And one more NWO theme from back then

After all the awful slimy shit that was said by Hogan in later years about black people, him coming out to a Jimi Hendrix song is probably even more sad irony than the boys in a Bronx Tale driving around listening to a Jimi Hendrix song en route to go and attempt to burn down a black neighborhood with molotov cocktails. That was just a movie and the Hogan garbage was real life, so I'd say that's even sadder.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

After all the awful slimy shit that was said by Hogan in later years about black people, him coming out to a Jimi Hendrix song is probably even more sad irony than the boys in a Bronx Tale driving around listening to a Jimi Hendrix song en route to go and attempt to burn down a black neighborhood with molotov cocktails. That was just a movie and the Hogan garbage was real life, so I'd say that's even sadder.

On an unrelated note, I did a White Men Can't Jump outing with my friends last weekend aka Basketball + Sizzler.

Reactions: Bleedred

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I wouldn't say Dougie or Meier are on good deals, but sometimes you have to pay for good players.

However, there will be a benefit to having cost-certainty in your core players while the cap starts going up.
Yeah you can’t literally get a discount on everyone, especially guys you have to pay to come in as opposed to homegrown talent staying, that’s where most of the ‘bargain’ deals come from including Crosby.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I just saw this on the sidebar and laughed really hard

At least it's not with Buffalo though, as Ruff's system would just destroy whatever career he might have had left!:sarcasm:

That and the AHL Coyotes/NHL Blue Jackets in 22-23 cost him a chance at getting any contract at any level in 23-24!:sarcasm:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Nobody was paying Hamilton and/or Meier (nor for that matter Pesce, Bratt nor Dillon) anywhere close to what the Devils are paying them.

During Fitz' tenure the franchise has repeatedly out-bid itself for players.

Would be glad to compliment the organization - and have regularly praised Nico Hischier - when it is merited.
You are comparing some apples and oranges.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Pesce contract was actually well recieved by the hockey world. I don't think there was many who thought ''Ya know, I can't see anyone but the Devils giving him that contract. That's not a good deal''.

And we've already been over the Bratt contract as one of the better contracts in the league right now. If we had traded Bratt (for whatever reason) the next team was definitely going to give him AT LEAST what we did. Come on now. As a matter of fact, I think most of us thought Bratt was going to get more than he did. Somewhere over $8 million per, and there was even some talk that we should probably be prepared for as much as $9 million per.

But this is falling on blind eyes, as I know I'm invisible to this particular poster.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Fitz deserves his fair share of shit, but he has done well getting our big guns locked in for good contracts

To be fair……. Dougie was overpayment but necessary. Bratt Timo are fair market value contracts. Jack and Nico signed their deals before they had breakout seasons. So while sure they are good contracts some context is needed. Like if he got Jack to sign this current deal AFTER that 99pt season I’ll agree he really got it done.

If he was smart he would do everything he can to lock Mercer up as long as possible.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
To be fair……. Dougie was overpayment but necessary. Bratt Timo are fair market value contracts. Jack and Nico signed their deals before they had breakout seasons. So while sure they are good contracts some context is needed. Like if he got Jack to sign this current deal AFTER that 99pt season I’ll agree he really got it done.

thank you for making my point for me.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Sure except you were implying the contracts were steals when they really just were market contracts. So Fitz basically did his job. Is the bar really that low ?

the Bratt, Hischier, and Hughes contracts are not and were not market contracts. This is basically a fact.

also, getting a guy to sign BEFORE he breaks out IS a credit to the GM.

what are we even doing here?

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
the Bratt, Hischier, and Hughes contracts are not and were not market contracts. This is basically a fact.

yes they were and yes bratt is.

what did you really expect fitz to do nickel and dime the two cornerstone franchise players? again maybe your bar is set so incredibly low for job performance then mine.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
yes they were and yes bratt is.

what did you really expect fitz to do nickel and dime the two cornerstone franchise players? again maybe your bar is set so incredibly low for job performance then mine.

the Bratt contract is not "market value" You are wrong. That contract is a steal.

I don't have any interest in debating this with you anymore, have a good day.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Can't see what this is replying to but I'd argue that the Bratt contract is close to a market contract but that the market is wrong - only a few teams would see how excellent Bratt is at controlling the play.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
the Bratt contract is not "market value" You are wrong. That contract is a steal.

I don't have any interest in debating this with you anymore, have a good day.
7.8 a year with 3 year avg of 28g and 76pt is pretty fair payment. how much do you think bratt should've gotten?

but thats fine if you don't want to reply if anyone else is up to continue honest question what should he have gotten?

Can't see what this is replying to but I'd argue that the Bratt contract is close to a market contract but that the market is wrong - only a few teams would see how excellent Bratt is at controlling the play.
:( i guess he blocked me

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
7.8 a year with 3 year avg of 28g and 76pt is pretty fair payment. how much do you think bratt should've gotten?

but thats fine if you don't want to reply if anyone else is up to continue honest question what should he have gotten?

:( i guess he blocked me
1726675718164.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad