Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
According to LeBrun, it doesn't look like the Devils were seriously in the mix for Askarov.

1726490748638.png

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah I was attracted to the idea of Spencer Knight and Askarov, but they had too much risk for a FO looking for stability first and foremost. The goal was always to close on a Markstrom trade this offseason.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
This article made me think of @StevenToddIves who lauded this kid. He would have been a great pick for us with our lack of organizational depth at center.

Logan Morrison will be a good NHLer for a long time and a lot of GMs and scouts will have a lot of explaining to do.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I remember there being talk that Crosby's next deal would be 2 or 3 years at $10-$11 million per.

I was skeptical it wasn't gonna be $8.7 like all of his deals, other than his ELC.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I remember there being talk that Crosby's next deal would be 2 or 3 years at $10-$11 million per.

I was skeptical it wasn't gonna be $8.7 like all of his deals, other than his ELC.
Is it time to update the Travis Green message under your avatar since it is a new season about to begin?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Is it time to update the Travis Green message under your avatar since it is a new season about to begin?
I've been asked that already, but I'm too lazy to do it. Or more specifically I can't think of anything to replace it with at the moment.

Then again, I may have already secretly switched allegiances to the Sens, so in that case no change is required!:sarcasm:

It will definitely be changed before opening night. Even if it's something completely ridiculous like ''Chorizo tacos arrrrrrr GRRRREEEAAAATTTTT!!!''.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I've been asked that already, but I'm too lazy to do it. Or more specifically I can't think of anything to replace it with at the moment.

Then again, I may have already secretly switched allegiances to the Sens, so in that case no change is required!:sarcasm:

It will definitely be changed before opening night. Even if it's something completely ridiculous like ''Chorizo tacos arrrrrrr GRRRREEEAAAATTTTT!!!''.
You should go with something Rogalski themed.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm thinking that Askarov was never a serious target of ours at any point. He hasn't proven anything at the NHL level. We were looking for guys who have. I'm sure we kicked the tires at all points, but I'm guessing he was never considered as a serious solution to our goaltending problems.
Yeah the timeline never added up for me. Especially with all the younger guys we had/have who've played more in the NHL at this point, granted none of them were first-round picks but if goaltender's shown you anything it's that you don't really need a first-round pick there to pop.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Beginning next season, both Timo Meier and Dougie Hamilton will be making more money than Sidney Crosby.

Good contracts?
Crosby is still on an old deal from like 8 years ago and he took a discount for his extension.

Hamilton and Meier essentially got their prime pay day here. Other teams would shell out similar contracts to what we gave them. We were the highest bidder for Hamilton. Our D core prior to signing Dougie consisted of Severson, Murray, Ty Smith, Subban, Kulikov, Vatanen, Butcher, Tennyson, Carrick, Siegenthaler (only 8 games), Bahl & Colton White. Half of those guys aren't even in the NHL anymore...Siegenthaler & Bahl atleast had better days ahead while Smith has struggled to improve and is looking like a bust. Hamilton was badly needed back then and was worth going out to sign. Marino , Graves , Luke , Nemec , Casey , Silayev , etc all came after. It's not even worth shittint on his contract right now...

Reactions: Bleedred

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Beginning next season, both Timo Meier and Dougie Hamilton will be making more money than Sidney Crosby.

Good contracts?
Are you f***ing serious lmao

His current 8.7 contract was signed in 2012 when the cap was 60M. The extension starts when’s he’s 38. He’s SIDNEY CROSBY extending with the PENGUINS.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Good contracts?
I do appreciate the preemptive warning of who will be on your shitlist this year, although I personally would have at least waited until preseason games started before giving it away.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Honestly maybe I'm not the first to consider this but, have we ever thought about my good friend Jersey Fan 12's actual allegiance?

It's easy to look at the name and think "He's a fan of Jersey, the hockey team." I always have. However, given that he has never said a single nice thing about a Devils player, and spends half his time pumping Flyers success, culture, and (especially) prospect pool, maybe he's actually just a ockey fan from Jersey, perhaps, say, the Philadelphia suburbs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad