Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
It’s ok. I like the Yzerplan.

We develop the D (Vilen and the Russian/Belarussian gang not named Sily) and then trade one or two for MBN. Profit.

My dream will not die!
IMG_9546.gif

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I was wondering about him. Has he fallen out of favor after two years?
Not so really but his numbers are not blowing your mind.
They drafted Danielson for second center role. they have Raymond and MBN for wingers roles, I believe they like Debrinkat. So for now Kasper looks like potential third line center for them.
Yeah, their defensive prospects pool looks solid - Seider is already good NHL defenseman, Edvinsson is in the making, Pellikka was good in SHL, Wallinder too, Buium(other one) was productive in NCAA...

Doesnt look like they really need Casey)

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

A bunch of teams’ schedule releases.

IMG_8296.jpeg
But of course.

Ranked the rest because I watched them for some f***ing reason.

Good Job Guys
St Louis
Chicago
Vancouver

Ok Job Guys
Los Angeles (Well produced, with real VO talent and solid writing, but no NHL specific jokes, like the top ones.)
Carolina
Calgary (level of likability depends on your feelings about “kids say the darkest things”)
Columbus (good smashing things video)
Dallas

They Tried
Boston
Ottawa
Tampa

Boring or Not Good (mostly boring)
Minnesota (Imagine the Dougie one @ the amusement park w/ no jokes. Yeah, boring.)
Detroit (I assume dog bus viral videos are a thing but this doesn’t deliver)
Colorado (bad smashing things video)
Utah
Montreal

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ya, I have no idea what Yzerman is doing. They are going nowhere with that defense.
Been shredding and mocking the Yzerplan ever since the Chiarot signing. He really lost me on that one. And he brings in at least one bad defenseman via free agency every year and signs them to a stupid, shit ass contract.
Yzerplan

Approaching the jarmo territory of over rated
I don't think he's as bad as Jarmo. Tampa had success, but Jarmo won a single playoff round in all those years.

We had the Tallon conversation last week, but it's sort of reminding me of Tallon's time in Florida. He didn't FUBAR an extension draft or anything, but it's similar in that he's striking out in his second GM gig after success in his first one.
He’s really an idiot isn’t he? Like, every move he makes is just bad.
Pretty much. It's getting bad. He also seems to be fodder for the ''general managers who don't take analytics seriously and laugh in the face of the advanced stats nerds'', even though I haven't seen many in that community particularly bash him or accuse him of not caring about analytics. But his signings of BAD defensemen annually would suggest that he doesn't really give much of a f***. And it didn't stop at Chiarot.

I think he's just throwing shit at a wall at this point, he knows his job is probably cooked if Detroit doesn't start producing soon. They have gotten f***ed over in draft lotteries a ton, I think the Canucks are the only team that have gotten it worse but it's not like they didn't get Seider/Raymond to build around.
This is something in slight defense that I've long since wondered too. That he's taking short cuts with the building through UFA strategy because ownership is in his ear that we need to make the playoffs now, it's been 8 years without them. And if they don't make them soon enough then he's getting canned, so maybe he feels pressure for that. Still, can't he do better than some of these black holes he annually signs on D?

At some point last season a Red Wings fan of the mainboard claimed that he would never get fired because the Ilitch's love him so much and with the exception of his stint as the GM of Tampa, he's worked for Detroit/the Ilitch's for the last 40 years now and that he likely has a job for life if he wants it.

I believe maybe he does have a job for life there, it just won't be as the GM. I'm not sure if this is a playoffs or bust year for Yzerman, but it could be. I could see both him and Dr. Evil punted after this season if they miss the playoffs again.

I will also say in his defense that Ken Holland left the organization in even worse ruins than Lou did. Probably significantly worse, with all the shit contracts that were left over.

But just think of what Shero's legacy would be here if he signed some bozo UFA defenseman to bad contracts every year he was GM. He didn't even last 5 years, and he actually made the playoffs once. It'll be 6 after this year for Yzerman. Now like I said, they were in worse shape when he took over than we were when Shero took over, so he probably gets some leeway. They realistically shouldn't have been expected to be a consistent playoff team until 2025-2026, but he's not been very good. The constant defense of him is ''Well they're better now than when he took over''.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Been shredding and mocking the Yzerplan ever since the Chiarot signing. He really lost me on that one. And he brings in at least one bad defenseman via free agency every year and signs them to a stupid, shit ass contract.

I don't think he's as bad as Jarmo. Tampa had success, but Jarmo won a single playoff round in all those years.

We had the Tallon conversation last week, but it's sort of reminding me of Tallon's time in Florida. He didn't FUBAR an extension draft or anything, but it's similar in that he's striking out in his second GM gig after success in his first one.

Pretty much. It's getting bad. He also seems to be fodder for the ''general managers who don't take analytics seriously and laugh in the face of the advanced stats nerds'', even though I haven't seen many in that community particularly bash him or accuse him of not caring about analytics. But his signings of BAD defensemen annually would suggest that he doesn't really give much of a f***. And it didn't stop at Chiarot.

This is something in slight defense that I've long since wondered too. That he's taking short cuts with the building through UFA strategy because ownership is in his ear that we need to make the playoffs now, it's been 8 years without them. And if they don't make them soon enough then he's getting canned, so maybe he feels pressure for that. Still, can't he do better than some of these black holes he annually signs on D?

At some point last season a Red Wings fan of the mainboard claimed that he would never get fired because the Ilitch's love him so much and with the exception of his stint as the GM of Tampa, he's worked for Detroit/the Ilitch's for the last 40 years now and that he likely has a job for life if he wants it.

I believe maybe he does have a job for life there, it just won't be as the GM. I'm not sure if this is a playoffs or bust year for Yzerman, but it could be. I could see both him and Dr. Evil punted after this season if they miss the playoffs again.

I will also say in his defense that Ken Holland left the organization in even worse ruins than Lou did. Probably significantly worse, with all the shit contracts that were left over.

But just think of what Shero's legacy would be here if he signed some bozo UFA defenseman to bad contracts every year he was GM. He didn't even last 5 years, and he actually made the playoffs once. It'll be 6 after this year for Yzerman. Now like I said, they were in worse shape when he took over than we were when Shero took over, so he probably gets some leeway. They realistically shouldn't have been expected to be a consistent playoff team until 2025-2026, but he's not been very good. The constant defense of him is ''Well they're better now than when he took over''.
Why you are talking about Chiarot when he signed Holl. May be the worsest defenseman.

They have good young defensemen but it doesn't look they are using their experienced vets to play with them.
Their D core now is really bad and the only hope is their young guys wil take a next step. I don't know what they are thinking about, may be will try to sell their short term pieces.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why you are talking about Chiarot when he signed Holl. May be the worsest defenseman.

They have good young defensemen but it doesn't look they are using their experienced vets to play with them.
Their D core now is really bad and the only hope is their young guys wil take a next step. I don't know what they are thinking about, may be will try to sell their short term pieces.
Well, Chiarot kicked off the bad long term UFA D signings.

But I couldn't believe the Holl signing the next year. I thought maybe Chiarot was just a one off. Even Bill Zito (who is one of the better general managers) gave up a first for Chiarot early on, so maybe he just had an overinflated reputation around the league......But then came Holl.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Well, Chiarot kicked off the bad long term UFA D signings.

But I couldn't believe the Holl signing the next year. I thought maybe Chiarot was just a one off. Even Bill Zito (who is one of the better general managers) gave up a first for Chiarot early on, so maybe he just had an overinflated reputation around the league......But then came Holl.
Holl has a deal. The fact he has is it make this deal worser.

Its really interesting how they could be in the play off race so long. East was really weak in the mid. I hope Devils will be healthy enough to make a step forward. Because Carolina is making step back, wsh looks better on paper but they should have more problems next year with aging and maturing, pens should age more.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Be careful going through the comments sections on any post announcing this. Humanity is f***ed.
I’ve not even read any comments on it outside of this forum.

But I was thinking earlier that there was likely a ton of toxic comments about it, perhaps even on the main board.

Edit - the first page wasn’t that bad. Mostly positive comments except for maybe one poster. Maybe some of it had to be cleaned up though.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I’ve not even read any comments on it outside of this forum.

But I was thinking earlier that there was likely a ton of toxic comments about it, perhaps even on the main board.

Edit - the first page wasn’t that bad. Mostly positive comments except for maybe one poster. Maybe some of it had to be cleaned up though.
I was mostly referring to Twitter and other social media. Which is always a cesspool so I shouldn't be surprised.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's almost surprising that baseball became the first sport with a female GM - especially considering all the women in hockey front offices now and ex-players around the sport, but A) Kim Ng was like ten times more qualified than most first-time guys who got the job by the time she got one, and B) after inexplicably getting demoted following a playoff season she still hasn't gotten another GM job yet.

Don't think baseball actually has any female coaches though, football even has a couple I believe. Basketball there was Becky Hammon until she went to the WNBA for head coaching experience.

Reactions: Bleedred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad