NHL Around the NHL 2018-19 V - Pens trade Brassard+ for Bjugstad+

Status
Not open for further replies.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Do you remember how much people were gushing about Muzzin on here a year ago? He was talked about our fans like he was the second coming of Orr. Now hes with Toronto hes a #4 of course.
Haha. So true. I'm not at all happy about the trade since it makes Toronto a better team. Muzzin is legit a very good d-man. Not ideal for the Leafs, but good enough to make them appreciably stronger on D. It was a good trade for both teams. Toronto has improved quite a bit since the Bs beat them in the playoffs. The Bs are worse overall. Toronto might not be done adding to the D. If Andersen stays healthy the Leafs are going to be tough to beat come playoff time. If Sweeney doesn't make a trade for a legit top 6 scoring winger the Bs can kiss any chance of a Cup run goodbye. I'm not even sure if they could get by Toronto at this point since Toronto just improved its roster even more, and the Bs have yet to do so.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Haha. So true. I'm not at all happy about the trade since it makes Toronto a better team. Muzzin is legit a very good d-man. Not ideal for the Leafs, but good enough to make them appreciably stronger on D. It was a good trade for both teams. Toronto has improved quite a bit since the Bs beat them in the playoffs. The Bs are worse overall. Toronto might not be done adding to the D. If Andersen stays healthy the Leafs are going to be tough to beat come playoff time. If Sweeney doesn't make a trade for a legit top 6 scoring winger the Bs can kiss any chance of a Cup run goodbye. I'm not even sure if they could get by Toronto at this point since Toronto just improved its roster even more, and the Bs have yet to do so.

Funny thing is, I was listening to a Leafs roundtable on radio last night (I usually avoid that), but 4 guys and not one of them thinks the Leafs have done enough to beat the Bruins.

Right or wrong they think the Bruins will be able to shut the Leafs offence down and that the Leafs need to add a forward with some grit to combat the Bruins defence. They also feel that adding Muzzin won't be enough to contain the Bruins top line, especially in Boston when the Bruins get last change and favorable matchups.

Reactions: old blue

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Funny thing is, I was listening to a Leafs roundtable on radio last night (I usually avoid that), but 4 guys and not one of them thinks the Leafs have done enough to beat the Bruins.

Right or wrong they think the Bruins will be able to shut the Leafs offence down and that the Leafs need to add a forward with some grit to combat the Bruins defence. They also feel that adding Muzzin won't be enough to contain the Bruins top line, especially in Boston when the Bruins get last change and favorable matchups.
The Leafs took the Bs to 7 games last year and led going into the third period of game 7. The addition of Tavares is huge. The Bs seem to be able to shut Matthews down well enough, but it will be tougher to shut down an offense in the playoffs that has added Tavares, especially given the great season he is having. Also, Marner looked pretty darn good in the playoffs last season and he is playing even better hockey now than he was last April. We'll have to see how big of an addition Muzzin really is, but I think it's a pretty big deal considering they already have an improved offense, and now they've improved the D with at minimum a top-3 d-man with good offensive skill. Add to all of that the Bs are having even more problems with bottom 6 scoring than they did last year. When I look at all that and realize the Bs barely eeked out the 7 game series in the last period of game 7 last season I get fairly concerned about the Bs chances.

Reactions: Estlin

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
The Leafs took the Bs to 7 games last year and led going into the third period of game 7. The addition of Tavares is huge. The Bs seem to be able to shut Matthews down well enough, but it will be tougher to shut down an offense in the playoffs that has added Tavares, especially given the great season he is having. Also, Marner looked pretty darn good in the playoffs last season and he is playing even better hockey now than he was last April. We'll have to see how big of an addition Muzzin really is, but I think it's a pretty big deal considering they already have an improved offense, and now they've improved the D with at minimum a top-3 d-man with good offensive skill. Add to all of that the Bs are having even more problems with bottom 6 scoring than they did last year. When I look at all that and realize the Bs barely eeked out the 7 game series in the last period of game 7 last season I get fairly concerned about the Bs chances.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Or them. Just delivering the message.

Let me ask you this, in terms of shutting down the Leafs big guns or the Bruins big guns: Who improved more in that category, the Leafs adding Muzzin or the Bruins adding Carlo? (if in fact Carlo does not get injured again before the playoffs)

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

Let me ask you this, in terms of shutting down the Leafs big guns or the Bruins big guns: Who improved more in that category, the Leafs adding Muzzin or the Bruins adding Carlo? (if in fact Carlo does not get injured again before the playoffs)
Oh I know. I should have clarified that my response was directed at their concerns.

Carlo is a better defender in his own zone than Muzzin for sure, but Muzzin does upgrade the Toronto D. My main worry is that Toronto now has one more big gun the Bs have to deal with this year (Tavares), and it's a huge one, combined with Boston having only one line that delivers. Shut down or at least contain the top line of the Bs and there's not much beyond that currently in terms of scoring. I'm not as hyped as some Toronto fans are about Muzzin being the second coming, but by the same token as a Bs fan it definitely makes me concerned. He is a quality player that is a pretty big addition. The Bs will hopefully be adding Carlo to the mix in the playoffs, but the Leafs will be adding Muzzin plus Tavares. I wouldn't trade Boston's top line for any other top line in the NHL, however they are going to need more help, Carlo or no Carlo in the lineup, than last year given that Toronto is a markedly improved team in a couple of areas.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Krug is a #1 D, as in he is capable of playing heavy minutes on any NHL teams top pairing and has the skill set to be in that role if required yes, just as Rielly is.

Although Krug is miniature so perhaps that’s one thing that might hold him back in your eyes.

Personally I find it bizarre that Bruins fans don’t consider Krug a top D man if what you’re telling me is true.
The thing holding Krug back,is not his size, but the fact that he is below average defensively. Sorry, that fact alone means he's not a #1 D. He's not even close actually. He's probably a top5 offensive defenseman in the league - his offense isn't in question. But defensively, he's probably the least consistently effective regular defenseman on the Bruins.

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
What's the definition of "metro area"? I've seen that include areas including NH, which is going pretty far out for calling it part of the city.

There are parts of NYC, Chicago and LA where everything is in Russian.

BROOKLYN
040311_Brighton_hmed.grid-6x2.jpg

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Agree.

But a team that took us to 7 when we blew them out a couple times and were dominant most of the series added a super star, filled their biggest hole, and the kids are a year older. Don't blame me for wanting WC1.

I also really want to play Toronto after they get out of the first round I'd love to see them 2nd round when their fans and team act like they've won the Cup after winning a series. I don't want to give them a shot at us early. WC1 and Metro winner sounds good. Let Toronto prove their metal vs the Habs.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016

Muzzin. Way more physical and better offensively. Just the fact he is there playing, will give way more confidence to the entire team.(Sorry didn’t realize you said frame the shutting down part only)

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
What's the definition of "metro area"? I've seen that include areas including NH, which is going pretty far out for calling it part of the city.

No idea?

I looked it up and that’s what it said. The parameters of what defines a Metro area were not included, but they probably are laid out somewhere.

Regrdless of what the actual Metro area is, I would think that Boston has as much to offer as most NHL cities?

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

keep in mind the Leafs added a big gun in Tavares so it's
Tavares & Muzzin
vs
Carlo

at least until Sweeney gets off his ass and addresses the gaps in this team's lineup that have existed since at least October.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
keep in mind the Leafs added a big gun in Tavares so it's
Tavares & Muzzin
vs
Carlo

at least until Sweeney gets off his ass and addresses the gaps in this team's lineup that have existed since at least October.

I've been doing this long enough to know the Leafs added Tavares. I'm not a rookie :laugh:

Again, I'm just delivering the message.

Swinging back to Tavares, I don't think bringing him up has anything to do with the question they (Leafs media) posed. I say that though (I've said this many times) that English is my third language, so I may have misunderstood them.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Do they realize Boston's 3rd line is a combination of Kuraly-Nordstrom-Acciari-Wagner?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I've been doing this long enough to know the Leafs added Tavares. I'm not a rookie :laugh:

Swinging back to Tavares, I don't think bringing him up has anything to do with the question they (Leafs media) posed. I say that though (I've said this many times) that English is my third language, so I may have misunderstood them.
Not sure why you're being so defensive, but I'll have a go...
This was how you framed the question:
Let me ask you this, in terms of shutting down the Leafs big guns or the Bruins big guns:
The thing is you can't just look at the D in a vaccuum. Even if we say for the sake of argument that Muzzin & Carlo cancel each other out, "shutting down the Leafs big guns" has gotten much harder for the Bruins D since last year because they added a hell of a big gun in Tavares.

So yeah having a healthy Carlo will help the Bruins a ton, but the Leafs haven't just improved on D so it could be moot.

Reactions: AM Bruin and Estlin

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada

Isn't that the DKH bug?

Reactions: TCB

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Not sure why you're being so defensive, but I'll have a go...
This was how you framed the question:

The thing is you can't just look at the D in a vaccuum. Even if we say for the sake of argument that Muzzin & Carlo cancel each other out, "shutting down the Leafs big guns" has gotten much harder for the Bruins D since last year because they added a hell of a big gun in Tavares.

So yeah having a healthy Carlo will help the Bruins a ton, but the Leafs haven't just improved on D so it could be moot.

The rookie part comes from another thread. I thought it was funny enough to use here so I apologize.

Again. I'm just delivering the message. I never said I believed it, in fact I don't.

But it's not a debate I want to have because It wasn't my statement, it was the Leafs Media!! I thought I had made it clear.

I like you and I say this with all great respect: It gets a little annoying when I get a "notification" and it's someone wanting to debate a point that wasn't even a point I made. I hope you can see it from my point of view.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
The rookie part comes from another thread. I thought it was funny enough to use here so I apologize.

Again. I'm just delivering the message. I never said I believed it, in fact I don't.

But it's not a debate I want to have because It wasn't my statement, it was the Leafs Media!! I thought I had made it clear.

I like you and I say this with all great respect: It gets a little annoying when I get a "notification" and it's someone wanting to debate a point that wasn't even a point I made. I hope you can see it from my point of view.
lol you brought it up. I assumed you were bringing it up for discussion as this is a place for discussion. I wasn't even debating it with you, simply pointing out how the Muzzin vs Carlo logic is flawed if it ignores Tavares. Wasn't even attributing the point to you, just talking about it, which again I thought was your aim in mentioning it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad