Around the NHL 2015-16, Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I can't help but think that Holland looks at this Sharks team and thinks the Wings could be that team next year.

It's frightening.

Also **** the Sharks

They are so close! Just need to find three guys who can all score at a PPG. And one of them is a defender. Then you're the Sharks. It's like, so damn close.

Joel Ward is up there with Justin Williams for most savvy off-season signing, too.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
They are so close! Just need to find three guys who can all score at a PPG. And one of them is a defender. Then you're the Sharks. It's like, so damn close.

Joel Ward is up there with Justin Williams for most savvy off-season signing, too.

Not to mention a whole bunch of other good players. I can't wait

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Sharks are playing at a different level than everyone else right now. For me they are the most impressive team in the playoffs so far. San Jose looks hungry.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I'd be happy for the Sharks if they won. I don't have any issues with a team competing at a high level and finally winning it. I thought the Wings struggles for a few seasons in the early/mid 90s were tough. The Sharks have had it worse.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

and a huge reason why??? because the sharks got aggressive

they made trades for IMPACT roster players
they shed bad contracts
they traded for more draft picks(more picks is proven to increase odds of more success)
they trade UP in the draft(and not just down)
they publicly moved on from its previous leadership and forced them to accept smaller roles

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
I don't think I've seen Gary Bettman on TV for two years. He's doing some announcement during the game today.

Man, the hate just floods back in.

irishock

Fire Ken Holland
Jan 15, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Why? Because they're not the cakewalk for Tampa Bay that you thought they'd be?

Because they're an average team that is good at exactly nothing? Because they've luckboxed their way to a win over a good Florida Panthers team? Because Tampa would roll them in 5 games if they were any healthy? Because I had $800 on the Panthers last round and I'm tilted?

I'm not even kidding when I say that this years' Detroit Red Wings were better than the Islanders.

Last edited:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Because they're an average team that is good at exactly nothing? Because they've luckboxed their way to a win over a good Florida Panthers team? Because Tampa would roll them in 5 games if they were any healthy? Because I had $800 on the Panthers last round and I'm tilted?

I'm not even kidding when I say that this years' Detroit Red Wings were better than the Islanders.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah, the Wings were not better than the Islanders. Tavares alone makes sure of that. He's a top 5 player right now, no question. Sometimes I think he's the best player in the league at a given moment.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Posting this again so I hope it's not a double post. Internet went out as soon as I hit send

You really put 800$ on a team that relies on two players that are probably older then our whole entire team? You must be rich and that's like 5 bucks to you

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Yeah, the Wings were not better than the Islanders. Tavares alone makes sure of that. He's a top 5 player right now, no question. Sometimes I think he's the best player in the league at a given moment.

While the Panthers are definitely on their way, the stats point to them having overachieved this year. Isles are a pretty good team. Might even make the conference finals.

irishock

Fire Ken Holland
Jan 15, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Posting this again so I hope it's not a double post. Internet went out as soon as I hit send

You really put 800$ on a team that relies on two players that are probably older then our whole entire team? You must be rich and that's like 5 bucks to you

Do you think I'm like an amateur bettor or something? I only went up $4k thanks to Pittsburgh, St Louis and SJ last round.

The Wings created more 5v5 high danger scoring chances, total scoring chances, corsi than the Islanders for the entire reg season+playoffs.

While the Panthers are definitely on their way, the stats point to them having overachieved this year. Isles are a pretty good team. Might even make the conference finals.

Score-adjusted high danger stats of round 1, From Rob Pizzola of twitter: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cg3H19AWwAQ57lq.jpg:large

The Panthers didn't overachieve anything this season. They've in fact underachieved. Should've been in round 3.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Do you think I'm like an amateur bettor or something? I only went up $4k thanks to Pittsburgh, St Louis and SJ last round.

The Wings created more 5v5 high danger scoring chances, total scoring chances, corsi than the Islanders for the entire reg season+playoffs.

Score-adjusted high danger stats of round 1, From Rob Pizzola of twitter: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cg3H19AWwAQ57lq.jpg:large

The Panthers didn't overachieve anything this season. They've in fact underachieved. Should've been in round 3.

Does that mean Florida = chokers then. Or are the islanders on the same level as the panthers so it cancels it out. Just like St. Louis and San jose

irishock

Fire Ken Holland
Jan 15, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Does that mean Florida = chokers then. Or are the islanders on the same level as the panthers so it cancels it out. Just like St. Louis and San jose

No they didn't "choke". They lost a series that they played well enough to have won in 6 games, but bounces and calls didn't go their way. That's variance for you

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

During the regular season their PDO and corsi reflected that they definitely overachieved. Maybe they didn't overachieve in the first round, but during the regular season? Absolutely.

irishock

Fire Ken Holland
Jan 15, 2012
Vancouver, BC
So does choking not exist in sports or just hockey
I'd say if you underachieve in the playoffs year after year like the SJ Sharks have, you're probably choking

During the regular season their PDO and corsi reflected that they definitely overachieved.

1st half of the season they did overachieve. 2nd half, they were legit. High danger scoring chances>>>>>>everything else

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

If only that's how wins were measured. We'd be golden. Unfortunately there's this thing were the Islanders scored more goals during the year while allowing less. Finishing your chances matters, too. And not all chances are equal, even if they appear so on paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad