Around the NHL — Episode XLXVII

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I’ll counter with

I’d much rather have Klevin at 3LD than Brannstrom and Klevin is 1.1M cheaper

I’d much rather have Gregor playing Joseph’s role, which he is playing at 2.1M cheaper.

I’d take Kastelic over Gaudette at 4LC but I think Ostapchuk will move into the role later this season and I’ll take him over both.
Don't think Gregor is playing the Joseph role.

He's a 4th line guy with some PK. 10-13 mins a game

Joseph was a middle 6 guy who'd be moved up the lineup when needed.

Ammadio/Perron are definitely the Joseph type replacements, Gregor is a Kelly type replacement.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Perron replaces Tarasenko. Vlad is better offensively but Perron is better in all other facets. He's going through hard times so I don't know how he will play when he comes back but wishing him the best. It's Amadio who replaces Joseph's cap hit and 3rd line ES role

Joseph speed, forecheck intensity and PK ability would be very welcomed right now. Amadio -6 and 0 pts in 8 games is not a really good start to say the least.

Our LD is pretty good but RD is still problematic as we can see with Zub's injury. Brannstrom was perfect to fill in for injury on both sides. We were stuck with Hamonic's contract and they didn't the desire/balls to send him to the AHL and re-sign Brannstrom. They are also very infatuated with size so not surprising that Brann is gone.
I don't think they can send Hamonic to the AHL due to his NMC. I was ok with not offering arby to Brannstrom, but once he was available on waivers at $900K bringing him back was a no-brainer IMO. Just send JBD through waivers to make room.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Don't think Gregor is playing the Joseph role.

He's a 4th line guy with some PK. 10-13 mins a game

Joseph was a middle 6 guy who'd be moved up the lineup when needed.

Ammadio/Perron are definitely the Joseph type replacements, Gregor is a Kelly type replacement.
Gregor is averaging over 13 minutes a night. He’s not being deployed in a 4th line role.

I don't think they can send Hamonic to the AHL due to his NMC. I was ok with not offering arby to Brannstrom, but once he was available on waivers at $900K bringing him back was a no-brainer IMO. Just send JBD through waivers to make room.
But JBD is a better player.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Gregor is averaging over 13 minutes a night. He’s not being deployed in a 4th line role.

But JBD is a better player.
And Joseph was averaging ~16.5. He was a guy you would throw up onto scoring lines when needed, Gregor is a guy who gets moved up to the 3rd, but won't be higher.

He was picked up for a 4th line role, injuries to the entire 3rd line have given many of our guys time on a higher line than they are going to be playing in a healthy lineup.

Brady-Stu-Ammadio/Cousins
Bath-Norris-Giroux
Grieg-Pinto-Perron

Gregor doesn't have the ability to jump onto that top line like Joseph would.

He's a guy on our 4th line who will be ~10th in icetime for our forwards.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
To be fair, we're without both Pinto and Perron, that's resulted in him getting slotted higher until we get some guys back in the lineup.

You push Reinhard and one of MacEwen/Gaudette out of the lineup, and he's back in that 4th line role

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Brannstrom back after he was on waivers still wouldn't work if Hamonic is still on the roster getting ice time. Don't know wtf he was doing half the time last night. I'd rather JBD stay on the roster and just bench Hamonic.

I thought Cousins was supposed to be a pest for other teams though. Where is that?

So far he's only been a pest to Senators fans.
If Green didn't give hell to Cousins for his idiotic penalty against Vegas Cousins is going to cost us several more games against teams that will take advantage when we're not disciplined.

The Waffler

Smartest Man-Child on HF
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
I thought Cousins was supposed to be a pest for other teams though. Where is that?

So far he's only been a pest to Senators fans.

I’m a fan of that kind of play style, so I was happy he signed here. But I was wondering where that edge in his game was as well. I thought he’s played fine for the most part, he hasn’t been the rat that he’s been advertised as.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Brannstrom is perfect on a 3rd pair, particularly if you pair him with a big guy who can defend in the corners and in front of the net.
Yeah, he's been paired with Vincent Desharnais. That pairing has been been more than the sum of its parts.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
F*** Brannstrom., F*** Joseph... I'm glad to move on from them; I don't get having to give up a 3rd in the process but I imagine there is a reason.

Maybe Kasty took a step that we didn't anticipate.. Still we got Ullmark back and who wouldn't make the trade getting rid of Korps

Reactions: PlayOn

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
F*** Brannstrom., F*** Joseph... I'm glad to move on from them; I don't get having to give up a 3rd in the process but I imagine there is a reason.

Maybe Kasty took a step that we didn't anticipate.. Still we got Ullmark back and who wouldn't make the trade getting rid of Korps
It's not like still having them would be changing the teams outcomes right now anyways. Couple tough games, get back on the horse and keep working. Things are still looking better imo.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's not like still having them would be changing the teams outcomes right now anyways. Couple tough games, get back on the horse and keep working. Things are still looking better imo.
Were are missing 3 key guys Zub, Pinto, Perron.. 4 goals against last were very preventable... one needed a call on change of possession.
I like the change in lines they finished with.
Tkachuk Stutzle Greig
Giroux Norris Batherson
Amadio Gaudette Gregor
Rino Cousins MacEwen

I would be demoting Tkachuk to a 3rd line checking line and keep him there until he shows improvement defensively.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Were are missing 3 key guys Zub, Pinto, Perron.. 4 goals against last were very preventable... one needed a call on change of possession.
I like the change in lines they finished with.
Tkachuk Stutzle Greig
Giroux Norris Batherson
Amadio Gaudette Gregor
Rino Cousins MacEwen

I would be demoting Tkachuk to a 3rd line checking line and keep him there until he shows improvement defensively.
Ya those are much bigger losses than anything else being pointed to. Ullmark only playing 3 games as well. Lots of runway left to get it on track here.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
And Joseph was averaging ~16.5. He was a guy you would throw up onto scoring lines when needed, Gregor is a guy who gets moved up to the 3rd, but won't be higher.

He was picked up for a 4th line role, injuries to the entire 3rd line have given many of our guys time on a higher line than they are going to be playing in a healthy lineup.

Brady-Stu-Ammadio/Cousins
Bath-Norris-Giroux
Grieg-Pinto-Perron

Gregor doesn't have the ability to jump onto that top line like Joseph would.

He's a guy on our 4th line who will be ~10th in icetime for our forwards.
And where would Joseph be playing in a lineup with

Tkachuk Stu Batherson
Greig Norris Giroux
Amadio Pinto Perron

Gregor replaces Joseph’s speed and PK and has been moving up in the lineup as needed. That is what Joseph’s role would be.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Tkachuk Stu Batherson
Greig Norris Giroux
Amadio Pinto Perron

Gregor replaces Joseph’s speed and PK and has been moving up in the lineup as needed. That is what Joseph’s role would be.
I think the argument is Amadio replaced Joseph and as a result if Joseph were still here, he'd be on the 4th line. If we took out Amadio instead of Gregor, Joseph would likely be slotted in where Amadio is.

Its odd to try and one for one sub guys out, but if you were to do that, you aren't acquiring Amadio without the capspace you gained by moving Joseph out. From a cap management perspective, Amadio = Joseph, Gregor = Kelly. From a role perspective, those matchups make more sense too imo, as Gregor would certainly be on the 4th line if everyone was healthy, just like Kelly, and Amadio and Joseph are guys that have tended to be used as utility players in the top 9, at least while with us.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Tkachuk Stu Batherson
Greig Norris Giroux
Amadio Pinto Perron

You just filled Joseph’s role with two other guys. Both in the top 9 and moving up the lineup like Joseph, and both making the same/similar money as Joseph. Amadio especially.

Joseph was “replaced” by Amadio and Perron in that middle 6, jump up to top line role with 15-16 mins.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You just filled Joseph’s role with two other guys. Both in the top 9 and moving up the lineup like Joseph, and both making the same/similar money as Joseph. Amadio especially.

Joseph was “replaced” by Amadio and
Perron in that middle 6, jump up to top line role with 15-16 mins.
I guess I just look at it different. I’m looking at role as what the player brings unless it’s a direct position replacement like Jensen replacing Chychrun, Ullmark replacing Korpse or Kleven replacing Branny.

Amadio is replacing a gap in last years roster.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I guess I just look at it different. I’m looking at role as what the player brings unless it’s a direct position replacement like Jensen replacing Chychrun, Ullmark replacing Korpse or Kleven replacing Branny.

Amadio is replacing a gap in last years roster.
Fair enough!

Even looking at role, Gregor is never going to be elevated to a scoring line as a complementary guy. Joseph put up 35 points playing as a utility guy, like Amadio being added to the top line the past 3 or 4.

Amadio is filling that exact role right now, filling in that top line role, for nearly the same salary.

Gregor is replacing Kelly, 10-13 mins of ES and PK time from predominantly the 4th line. He’s being paid and deployed that way.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Fair enough!

Even looking at role, Gregor is never going to be elevated to a scoring line as a complementary guy. Joseph put up 35 points playing as a utility guy, like Amadio being added to the top line the past 3 or 4.

Amadio is filling that exact role right now, filling in that top line role, for nearly the same salary.

Gregor is replacing Kelly, 10-13 mins of ES and PK time from predominantly the 4th line. He’s being paid and deployed that way.
Amadio is nothing like Joseph. Completely different players.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Amadio is nothing like Joseph. Completely different players.
They are in the exact same role.

Middle 6, ~3 million dollar utility player. They play it differently, but it’s the same role for the team.

Injury in the top 6, Amadio is a guy to get put there.

Healthy lineup, he’s on the 3rd line.

The only similarity between Gregor and Joseph is that they PK, and that’s the same similarity as Kelly, who also cost the same as Gregor.

Gregor is a league minimum 4th line guy, both Joseph and Amadio were signed to play in the top 9 and up the lineup if needed. They sent Joseph out and replaced him with Amadio in an almost money in money out deal. Likewise with Kelly, he was due a raise to ~1.1, he was replaced for 850k by Gregor.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I’ll take Kleven, Gregor, Perron, Cousins and Ullmark over Brannstrom, Joseph, Kubalik, Kelly and Korpisalo all day.

3rd pair left D
3rd line winger with speed who kills penalties
Top 9 vet winger
4th line energy player
Starting goalie

Tank was better than Amadio but Jensen fits better than Chychrun.
Who replaces who seems like its user definable and arbitrary. I looked at Perron’s advanced stats (this year) as I was curious. They looked pretty good. But, Perron’s $4m cap hit puts him pretty close to Tarasenko’s money, so hopefully Perron will provide some offensive production as well. it's still too early to pass any judgements. Amadio’s cap hit is pretty close to Joseph’s. I guess I’m just saying that comparing cap hits is another way of doing these comparisons for these wingers.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
They are in the exact same role.

Middle 6, ~3 million dollar utility player. They play it differently, but it’s the same role for the team.

Injury in the top 6, Amadio is a guy to get put there.

Healthy lineup, he’s on the 3rd line.

The only similarity between Gregor and Joseph is that they PK, and that’s the same similarity as Kelly, who also cost the same as Gregor.

Gregor is a league minimum 4th line guy, both Joseph and Amadio were signed to play in the top 9 and up the lineup if needed. They sent Joseph out and replaced him with Amadio in an almost money in money out deal. Likewise with Kelly, he was due a raise to ~1.1, he was replaced for 850k by Gregor.
We obviously define role differently. I look at the forward group as a recipe not an org chart. Our speed/PK ingredient has been Formenton -> Joseph -> Gregor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad