Around the NHL — Episode XLXVII

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Dach might be taking the next step

Still blows my mind our size queen management group decided to trade for 5'7 DeBrincat who was a UFA in 2 years instead of 6'4 Dach who was an RFA and under the team's control for many years.

That would have "accelerated the rebuild". What Dorion tried to do, which he won't admit, was take dumb risks in an attempt to push the team to the playoffs early so he could save his own skin.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Still blows my mind our size queen management group decided to trade for 5'7 DeBrincat who was a UFA in 2 years instead of 6'4 Dach who was an RFA and under the team's control for many years.

That would have "accelerated the rebuild". What Dorion tried to do, which he won't admit, was take dumb risks in an attempt to push the team to the playoffs early so he could save his own skin.
That’s generous perhaps. Debrincat had one year or term and then a Qualifying Offer for $9 m for the 2nd year which we couldn’t afford with our cap situation (iirc).

Otherwise, yes I agree with your general idea that it was a bad move & strategy for a rebuilding Senators and an attempt to save his GM position.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
That’s generous perhaps. Debrincat had one year or term and then a Qualifying Offer for $9 m for the 2nd year which we couldn’t afford with our cap situation (iirc).

Otherwise, yes I agree with your general idea that it was a bad move & strategy for a rebuilding Senators and an attempt to save his GM position.

A qualifying offer which took him right to UFA status, meaning he could walk in 2 years.

And given he could walk in 2 years by taking his QO he effectively got to choose his destination in summer 2023 after only a single season with the team.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
A qualifying offer which took him right to UFA status, meaning he could walk in 2 years.

And given he could walk in 2 years by taking his QO he effectively got to choose his destination in summer 2023 after only a single season with the team.
Yes, I agree with that & those details. I was just adding a little detail about that 2nd year. I don’t think that 2nd year was tenable given our circumstances.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

While I agree with the general logic of trading for an RFA who was drafted really high, the move would only marginally be better considering how unproven Dach was at the time and wouldn't really fit a specific team need (aside from just generally adding cost controlled talent).

I could've lived with getting rid of a top 10 draft pick even if we had a positional need filled.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
While I agree with the general logic of trading for an RFA who was drafted really high, the move would only marginally be better considering how unproven Dach was at the time and wouldn't really fit a specific team need (aside from just generally adding cost controlled talent).

I could've lived with getting rid of a top 10 draft pick even if we had a positional need filled.

Yeah I wouldn't necessarily been thrilled with trading the 7th OVR pick for Dach, as I have never been a huge fan, but adding a 20YR old former 3rd OVR pick to the roster with team control for many years would have made infinitely more sense as a way of "accelerating the rebuild" than trading the pick for DeBrincat.

Reactions: bicboi64

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Yeah I wouldn't necessarily been thrilled with trading the 7th OVR pick for Dach, as I have never been a huge fan, but adding a 20YR old former 3rd OVR pick to the roster with team control for many years would have made infinitely more sense as a way of "accelerating the rebuild" than trading the pick for DeBrincat.
You know you've lost the plot when you think trading the 7OA for a guy who had, at the time, less than 20 career goals is a better theoretical trade than trading the same pick for a multi 40G scorer.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
You know you've lost the plot when you think trading the 7OA for a guy who had, at the time, less than 20 career goals is a better theoretical trade than trading the same pick for a multi 40G scorer.
That's not exactly his point though. It's not just trading for a 3OA who has scored less than 20g instead of trading the 7OA for a 40g scorer. It's trading for a 3OA with potential to get much better that we can hold onto for longer than one season.

Of course, both trades would be stupid if Dorion acquired either player without being able to talk to either players' agent to discuss extensions. The point is, trading for Cat only thinking of his 40g seasons in the past is short sighted because there's only certainty that we'd get one year of him.

Would you rather move the pick for one season of top 6 scoring, or potentially several?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

A multiple 40G scorer who only put up those numbers because he played with prime Patrick Kane, who also happened to be two years from UFA and had zero interest in signing in Ottawa (which is why Dorion didn't even bother asking before the trade).

Defending the DeBrincat trade right now is impossible, but I wish you the best of luck in that endevour.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Luckily DBC has turned into UllMark, which is a much better need.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Examining the Debrincat disaster

Out:

2022 - 7OA
2022 - 39OA
2024 - 72OA
Mark Kastelic

In:

2024 - 112OA (Javon Moore)
Donovan Sebrango
Linus Ullmark
3M in cap space x 4 years

Staios managed to salvage a very good result considering he also fixed a major Dorion gaffe.

Ullmark + 3M in cap space for 4 years is decent value for 7OA. Sebrango/ Kastelic is beginning to look like a wash.

Reactions: Micklebot

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

Out:

2022 - 7OA
2022 - 39OA
2024 - 72OA
Mark Kastelic

In:

Donovan Sebrango
Linus Ullmark

Staios managed to salvage a very good result considering he also fixed a major Dorion gaffe.

Ullmark + 3M in cap space for 4 years is decent value for 7OA. Sebrango/ Kastelic is beginning to look like a wash.
Are you missing a 1rst rnd going out to Boston?

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
A multiple 40G scorer who only put up those numbers because he played with prime Patrick Kane, who also happened to be two years from UFA and had zero interest in signing in Ottawa (which is why Dorion didn't even bother asking before the trade).

Defending the DeBrincat trade right now is impossible, but I wish you the best of luck in that endevour.
Actually (worse) Dorion was denied permission to speak with the agent/player, but went ahead anyway. He confirmed this.

For the record I was still excited about the trade at the time.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

You're getting further and further from reality. Keep talking about how trading for Dach made "infinitely more sense" to accelerate the rebuild than a guy who was a proven commodity. Your revisionism of Debrincat's accomplishments is the typical braindead HF take. "He only scored 40+ multiple times because he played with someone better"...is just about the dumbest, most simple take you can possibly have. Impossible to comprehend how you can think Dach would have been a better trade than Debrincat. A guy who's a career 0.5ppg in 200+ career games vs a guy with a career .83ppg in 500+ games. You know, it's ok to admit you're wrong sometimes. I don't know if you think an anvil is gonna fall on your head if you admit it but I can assure you it won't.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

Out:

2022 - 7OA
2022 - 39OA
2024 - 72OA
Mark Kastelic

In:

Donovan Sebrango
Linus Ullmark

The full Debrincat implication?

Doesn't look so bad in retrospect.

OUT:
Kevin Korchinski (#7)
Joonas Korpisalo (cap dump - 4 years @ $3M)
Paul Ludwinski (#39)
AJ Spellacy (#72)
Mark Kastelik

IN:
Javon Moore
Donovan Sebrango
Alex Debrincat (1 year)
Dominik Kubalik (1 Year)
Linus Ullmark (1 year @ 5M, 4 years @ $8.25M)
Are you plagiarizing my posts? Lol.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
You're getting further and further from reality. Keep talking about how trading for Dach made "infinitely more sense" to accelerate the rebuild than a guy who was a proven commodity. Your revisionism of Debrincat's accomplishments is the typical braindead HF take. "He only scored 40+ multiple times because he played with someone better"...is just about the dumbest, most simple take you can possibly have. Impossible to comprehend how you can think Dach would have been a better trade than Debrincat. A guy who's a career 0.5ppg in 200+ career games vs a guy with a career .83ppg in 500+ games. You know, it's ok to admit you're wrong sometimes. I don't know if you think an anvil is gonna fall on your head if you admit it but I can assure you it won't.

A proven commodity who DIDN'T WANT TO PLAY HERE. As Butchy pointed out Dorion tried to gauge his interest in discussing an extension in Ottawa and the Hawks declined to let him speak to DeBrincat's agent, which is all he should have needed to know.

You can't overlook that fact considering he was 2 years away from attaining UFA status and had a 9M QO in 23/24.

Dach was unproven but was 20 years old and was a recent 3rd overall pick that obviously had a lot of talent and upside. If the scouting staff didn't like the names available at 7 and Dorion was intent on trading the pick to speed up the rebuild, trading it for Dach would have been a far smarter way to do it as a Turris-esque buy-low move adding a talented former 3rd overall pick that was struggling.

He traded for DeBrincat because he thought it provided the best chance to push the team to the playoffs early, long-term success be damned. He didn't care about the eventual implications, as he wanted to be able to say he rebuilt the Sens into a playoff team to try to save his own job. It failed spectacularly and defending it is laughable at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad