Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Bob having 12 consecutive playoff overtime wins is pretty crazy. Tied with Patrick Roy for the most in history, he can surpass him tonight.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How valuable is fox right now in this game. He can barely move

The Florida forwards don’t look tired lol

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Need a similar article of how we came to the conclusion that Ben Roger was our pick in the second
It's not much of a mystery.

1. He put up a whole bunch of fluke points at the PBHH Invitational tournament, held in summer 2021 for guys who didn't get to play in their draft year. That's where scouting masterminds Bob Janecyk and Don Boyd got a look at him and decided he was really good.

2. He had a relationship with Jeremy Benoit, who was the strength and conditioning coach for the Belleville Senators at the time. So they knew his character/work ethic.

It's actually not that different from the process that Dallas went through to draft Wyatt Johnston - they saw him play a small number of games in a tournament, and then asked a few people about what he was like as a person.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

1. He put up a whole bunch of fluke points at the PBHH Invitational tournament, held in summer 2021 for guys who didn't get to play in their draft year. That's where scouting masterminds Bob Janecyk and Don Boyd got a look at him and decided he was really good.

2. He had a relationship with Jeremy Benoit, who was the strength and conditioning coach for the Belleville Senators at the time. So they knew his character/work ethic.

It's actually not that different from the process that Dallas went through to draft Wyatt Johnston - they saw him play a small number of games in a tournament, and then asked a few people about what he was like as a person.
Yes it’s the who watched him play that seems to be the differentiator. He was a bad pick like the second he started playing the next season.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
Yes it’s the who watched him play that seems to be the differentiator. He was a bad pick like the second he started playing the next season.
It's largely just luck though.

“I could lie and say I knew he was going to do that from an early age,” Dallas director of amateur scouting Joe McDonnell said Friday, laughing over the phone. “But that’s not the way it works. He’s exceeded [expectations] for sure.”

“You get lucky sometimes, I guess,” McDonnell said.
Sometimes your first three picks in the draft are Miro Heiskanen, Jake Oettinger and Jason Robertson and sometimes they're Ty Dellandrea, Albin Eriksson and Oskar Back. That's one year apart with the same guys doing the picking.

Or closer to home, sometimes you get Tim Stutzle, Jake Sanderson and Ridly Greig and sometimes you get Tyler Boucher, Ben Roger and Zack Ostapchuk.

This draft shit has a major luck component, which is why nobody seems to be able to consistently get it right.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Sometimes your first three picks in the draft are Miro Heiskanen, Jake Oettinger and Jason Robertson and sometimes they're Ty Dellandrea, Albin Eriksson and Oskar Back. That's one year apart with the same guys doing the picking.

Or closer to home, sometimes you get Tim Stutzle, Jake Sanderson and Ridly Greig and sometimes you get Tyler Boucher, Ben Roger and Zack Ostapchuk.

This draft shit has a major luck component, which is why nobody seems to be able to consistently get it right.
Yeah. You’re right. But Ben Roger was almost immediately a bad pick. Not even a great junior hockey player and we picked him in the second round lol.

Reactions: bicboi64

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
Yeah. You’re right. But Ben Roger was almost immediately a bad pick. Not even a great junior hockey player and we picked him in the second round lol.
No different from Jonny Tychonick, and they actually got to watch him all season in 2018.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Well made point, buuuuut Ostapchuk was a great pick at his spot.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I was watching this Tom Brady documentary a while back and there was a great quote. They asked a rival GM how teams passed on him 198 times before he got picked and he essentially said "the most important part of drafting is something you can't measure, and it's how bad a guy wants it." You can watch as many games as you want but you have no idea whether this guy is gonna mail it in after signing his ELC or whether he'll be up in the gym at 4am every morning. It's what makes the draft educated guessing.

Reactions: aragorn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If Dallas had any inkling that Wyatt Johnston would be this good they would have taken him at 15 rather than trading down to 23. Very fortuitous.

U18s seems like a good place to scout draft eligible players,

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Stankoven is such a good player. What a whiff from people on draft day. His backcheck is insane..
He’s reminding people that you can get it done without the size. You do have to have extra speed agility and strength though.
He’s pretty amazing to watch. Let’s see if he can keep it up over the years.

I remember being pissed that Harley went one spot before us and we took Lassi Thompson .

Harley is looking amazing
Same. That hurt the stomach at the time.

Reactions: DJB

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
Tanev is very good. Man can he play defense. Smart , good size, strong

Any team would be lucky to have him

Right now, absolutely.

Somebody is going to pay him $5million+ this off season though, and give him 5 - 6 years and a NTC.

I wish the Sens were in a spot to say this was the guy to put them over the hump and into solid SCF conversations, but alas, he is not. So I hope Staios looks elsewhere for RD help.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Great 4 teams left in the playoffs now. Some good hockey every game.
Hoping for a Rangers Edmonton final.
I agree in the ECF, but the WCF has been dreadfully boring in my opinion.

The Vancouver series was pretty bad, and this one is continuing the trend in my opinion.

Over two games there is no bite or animosity between the two teams to make things entertaining, and there are massive stretches with no shots on net. I mean down one 5 minutes into the third and the Oilers didn’t manage to muster more than one shot on net for the next 12ish minutes of play.

Solid strangulation play, but not really entertaining as a general fan not invested in either team.

The panthers/rangers game has more excitement due to the presence of some pesty players and hitters, along with a more open style of play.

In my opinion of course :)

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Need a similar article of how we came to the conclusion that Ben Roger was our pick in the second
Mark Stone was drafted at the end of the 6th rd, I would guess that he would be in the top 5 OA if that draft was redone today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad