Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Zach Hyman is on fire 9 goals in the playoffs for Edmonton so far.
At $5.5 million a year he is a steal for four more years!
He plays with that #97 guy

Last edited:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
1715230487650.gif

Are the Canucks . . . likable?

Oh my god what's happening

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Just tuned in for the last 3 minutes after I saw this comment. Canucks sure feel like they're the Team of Destiny these playoffs.

And how the heck did Edmonton only have 16 SOGs?
Edmonton played like they believed the hype about having the two best players in the world on their team. Next game they better bring their lunchbox.

View attachment 867618

Are the Canucks . . . likable?

Oh my god what's happening
They do have a gritty team with some talent sprinkled in.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I think Vancouver's zone play is something that Edmonton needs to adjust to. LA chased the Oilers around in every zone giving players like McDavid opportunities to open up the game, where as Vancouver plays with structure and clogs up the slot area.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Datsyuk and Bergeron and Toews were all legit top defensive players. Yes, it has morphed and you need to generate offence, but you should also be a standout defensively.

Matthews is a better than average defensive player, but I don't see him as a Selke nominee. Marner can PK well, but he isn't some defensive wizard.

Barkov will win it anyway, but it's still a joke to have the 2 Leafs nominated.
Matthews is a better defensive centre than Barkov.

• Haha
Reactions: Laphroaig and OD99

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
The 4’10 Connor Garland with an awesome game, it’s almost like size isn’t an issue in the playoffs as long as your willing to go to the dirty areas, grind in the corners and be tenacious on the puck and the forecheck. Compared to the 6’5 Dubois who is soft as butter and plays more in the perimeter than Mitchy Marner in the GTHL.

Oh and last years Conn Smyth winner was a short king too.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Will see what Berube would have cost soon.

Keefe has coached a superstar team, so he's going to be labelled a good coach. He'll land on his feet, likely in Pittsburgh. Not his fault, but when a team doesn't win the coach faces the brunt and gets the labels, fair or not.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think Keefe jumps right to the top of the line of available coaches (assuming Berube is going to Toronto). He has a two year contract so he can afford to be picky but if I'm the Devils or Red Wings I'm giving him a call asap. A couple of decently talented rosters who could use a push to get over the top, I think he'd be a fairly large upgrade on Ruff and Lalonde.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
A big reason why we have seen so many coaching changes is that player movement is historically harder than it has ever been.

With the cap being flat for the last few seasons, combined with NMCs, it's very difficult for teams to make major changes to their roster, let alone minor changes. Then in season, it's nearly impossible until the TDL.

So that creates added incentive to change coaches.

Look at the Leafs. There isn't much that they can do to change their core because everybody has NMCs. Switching the coach is something they can do that is perceived to be a big change.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad