Around the League

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
The two stories out there are that 1) they didn't think his knee would hold up after he got injured and/or 2) it was his conduct unbecoming of a Canadien (too much partying), like getting arrested for public urination and fighting cops.

wikipedia says the trade happened towards the end of June and 1 day after the public urination thing

that sounds like too much of a coincidence for it not to have had at least some factor to me if that timeline is true

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
wikipedia says the trade happened towards the end of June and 1 day after the public urination thing

that sounds like too much of a coincidence for it not to have had at least some factor to me if that timeline is true

In Detroit you can pee on the floor in the arena too. Must be why he liked it here

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
I can see where Savoie is arguably redundant with some of the players in that Sabres top six but McLeod feels like such underwhelming value for the player lol.

Pronman from the Athletic kind of called this last week in one of the post-draft podcasts. Said Sabres are not going to be able to get good value when they have to move some of their smaller guys out because the whole league knows they're stuck. He also said Savoie isn't as highly thought of in the league as others might think...

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Pronman from the Athletic kind of called this last week in one of the post-draft podcasts. Said Sabres are not going to be able to get good value when they have to move some of their smaller guys out because the whole league knows they're stuck. He also said Savoie isn't as highly thought of in the league as others might think...
Even considering all that he's a 9th overall pick. I'd expect at least a 2nd coming back.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

Yeah none of that surprises me too much honestly. Exhibit 63 of the Sabres not having a cohesive plan to build this team.

I think Savoie on his entry deal is a good fit for the way the Oilers attack on offense.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I think time and time again, we are so often shown such a disparity between what we (HF) think of a player/prospect/etc. vs. what 32 GM and their respective professional organizations think of the players/prospects.

I loved Savoie and was all about him up until the week before the board talk me into Kasper but I still thought Savoie was a lights out prospect with all sorts of crazy offensive upside - if he were half the player potentially as I thought he was in my head, there's no way he would've been moved for a young, gritty third line winger. These things do not add up.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I’m totally onboard with Savoie holding less value than expected with NHL GMs and totally on board with moving him for a 3C if the need is glaring.

But man McLeod is not the guy I’d go for there. Defensive and PK metrics are good but he’s not a player that wins in the difficult areas of the ice. In a vacuum (age and contract aside) I’d definitely prefer Copp at 3C.

Reactions: NickH8

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I think time and time again, we are so often shown such a disparity between what we (HF) think of a player/prospect/etc. vs. what 32 GM and their respective professional organizations think of the players/prospects.

I loved Savoie and was all about him up until the week before the board talk me into Kasper but I still thought Savoie was a lights out prospect with all sorts of crazy offensive upside - if he were half the player potentially as I thought he was in my head, there's no way he would've been moved for a young, gritty third line winger. These things do not add up.
I hear you, I was also on the Savoie train. Starting with Savoie, the Sabres have picked the players I really wanted us to get in the first round of the last three drafts. But yea, Buffalo has stocked up on the same type of players, making some of their prospects redundant. I'm still pretty floored by this trade and I really like McLeod as a player, but still feel they should have done more.

By now, I'm totally fine with Kasper over Savoie, I'm loving Danielson (though I still want Benson) and I never expected Helenius to drop to us, so Buffalo deserves him for being perpetually unable to dig themselves out of a rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad