Around the League XXXIV: Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
You have to wonder what he and Q think sometimes...well a lot of the time.

It's just odd to me if you're someone who dislikes Q to clamor for Babcock. A lot of the same things Hawks fans don't like about Q are the same things Leafs fans and media question about Babcock. Not saying they're identical coaches but they're cut from the same cloth, really.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It's just odd to me if you're someone who dislikes Q to clamor for Babcock. A lot of the same things Hawks fans don't like about Q are the same things Leafs fans and media question about Babcock. Not saying they're identical coaches but they're cut from the same cloth, really.

Very much so. The game is changing really quickly (I would argue that it is have changed more in the past 7-10 years than it did in the 30 years before that).

Both HHoF Coaches? Q is for sure but Babs only has 1 cup but more success international. I think both are.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Seattle mayor meeting with Bettman and NHL today

At this point it is safe to assume Seattle will be joining team as team #32

If we can get Yotes to Houston things would be perfect for NHL going forward IMO

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It's his eye socket, no? Sometimes those don't heal right and your vision is never the same.

Orbital bone, yeah. But I don't think it's something risking his career. I think The Athletic jumped to conclusions on this one, without substantiating anything first. The Jackets org. waved off the speculation saying he wasn't going to play against Arizona before the AS break, anyways, even though he has been practicing with the team. And stated that he would be back with the team for their game after the AS break. And gave those as the reasons for him flying home.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, the whole just came off as odd. They say they have nothing to report but then immediately say that they don't have a police report.

That kind of implies something bad happened, no? Pretty bad journalism there.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
PK Subban was on the Daily Show last night and it was awesome. Check it out if you can. He's a perfect ambassador for the game and by all accounts an outstanding person.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Good stuff here:

The death of heavy hockey - Article - TSN

I for one am thrilled with the speed-and-skill first direction the league is heading.

Just pointing this out but you in the past have said their is little to no correlation to winning/point and hitting.

The article shows there is more than you think even though it is going away.

yost.JPG

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Just pointing this out but you in the past have said their is little to no correlation to winning/point and hitting.

The article shows there is more than you think even though it is going away.

yost.JPG

Look at the chart you just posted. They've bounced around randomly between +0.10 and -0.10, save one negative correlation spike in 2014 (~ -0.25). No pattern, and minimal correlation. That may as well be random chance.

When I said that hits aren't correlated to success, I didn't mean to imply a perfect 0.0 correlation every single year. I'm not sure there's a single relevant stat you could find in any sport that would fulfill that criteria. likewise for a perfect -1.0 or +1.0 correlation year after year.

The article states, right about this chart that this is the first year that there's a clear relationship one way or the other, as it's the first year the correlation has reached levels of statistical significance.

zpOOMvs.png

I probably should have said, 'hits correlate so weakly and so randomly to success that they're insignificant' instead of simply saying 'there is no correlation, full stop'.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Look at the chart you just posted. They've bounced around randomly between +0.10 and -0.10, save one negative correlation spike in 2014 (~ -0.25). No pattern, and minimal correlation. That may as well be random chance.

When I said that hits aren't correlated to success, I didn't mean to imply a perfect 0.0 correlation every single year. I'm not sure there's a single relevant stat you could find in any sport that would fulfill that criteria. likewise for a perfect -1.0 or +1.0 correlation. The chart reaffirms that hits don't correlate to success - in any given year, without warning or planning, you could have a .10 negative impact or .10 positive impact on your teams success by hitting. Minimal impact, no pattern, no trend.

The article states, right about this chart that this is the first year that there's a clear relationship one way or the other, as it's the first year the correlation has reached levels of statistical significance.

I take it as a majority of the seasons there is a correlation but I took your implication as an absolute one (which you tend to speak in absolutes) so my apologies if I misunderstood what you said.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I know Vegas is on what has to be their 4th or 5th string goalie, but it looks like they're coming back down to earth. It was probably great for the new fanbase to have such a hot start but now they can start securing a good draft pick like they need

Good to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad