Around the League Thread | The one where the NHL once again is the worst.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Kind of random but I wonder what is going on with Brendan Brisson. I think he's the only VGK first rounder to actually still be with the organization. Is he going to crack the lineup full-time this year now that Marchessault is gone? Not saying he can replace him, just that a spot has opened up. Part of me thinks he's either staying in Vegas or won't be going anywhere unless he basically approves it. Pat Brisson is not really the guy you want to piss off, especially a team like Vegas, who loves their shiny toys. He represents a lot of high end talent.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Kind of random but I wonder what is going on with Brendan Brisson. I think he's the only VGK first rounder to actually still be with the organization. Is he going to crack the lineup full-time this year now that Marchessault is gone? Not saying he can replace him, just that a spot has opened up. Part of me thinks he's either staying in Vegas or won't be going anywhere unless he basically approves it. Pat Brisson is not really the guy you want to piss off, especially a team like Vegas, who loves their shiny toys. He represents a lot of high end talent.

vegas are actually pretty deep at forward still so it depends on stone's health probably

they've got eichel, hertl, karlsson and roy down the middle and stone, barbashev, holtz, dorofoyev, howden, olofsson, kolesar and rondjberg on wing. brisson definitely has a shot at cracking that group tho

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Look up Harold Ballard. There was a huge cover up.

But let’s not split hairs over which child sex abuse scandal was worst. It’s garbage people all the way down.
I cant find anything about a cover up.

I know about the pedophile feller case. But not about how the leafa org was involved.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Reactions: VanillaCoke

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
do you think they did that deliberately so he could harm children or they did it incompetentlly and ignorantly not understanding who he was?

i don't disagree that what they did deserve punishment. we just disagree on how much.

i think it’s obvious that they did it because they didn’t want to risk the bad PR that would come from the abuse going public and were willing to take the chance that he could go on to harm children to prevent it

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
i think it’s obvious that they did it because they didn’t want to risk the bad PR that would come from the abuse going public and were willing to take the chance that he could go on to harm children to prevent it
Do we know who specifically gave the recommendation? I've wondered before it was someone who wasn't at that first meeting where it all came to light and I doubt the people who were at that meeting communicated it to anyone else in the org apart from ownership.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
This:

Disagree.

This is as bad as anything a NHL org has ever done.

They should be banned for life.
It's appalling, and honestly a black eye on the league. Theyve blackballed others for less but somehow these f***ing pieces of sh*t are able to go about their livings again with barely a slap on the wrist. I wish there were larger powers in play that would put a stop to that horseshit

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Preds went all in with Stamkos and Marchessault.....but just not sure how it'll all work out. The guts of their roster like Josi, Saros, O'Reilly, and now Stamkos and Marchessault were well on the north side of 30. And even Filip Forsberg is 29.

They could squeeze a couple of competitive years out of this group......but it could also implode if some of these players age out quickly. But I guess you have to hand it to Trotz for rolling the dice.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Preds went all in with Stamkos and Marchessault.....but just not sure how it'll all work out. The guts of their roster like Josi, Saros, O'Reilly, and now Stamkos and Marchessault were well on the north side of 30. And even Filip Forsberg is 29.

They could squeeze a couple of competitive years out of this group......but it could also implode if some of these players age out quickly. But I guess you have to hand it to Trotz for rolling the dice.
For Nash, that does seem like they are pushing their chips in with what they have. Looking back in 2000 when Rinne was done they did have Sarros, yet opted to draft Askarov over Lundell and Jarvis. For a franchise that has struggled to score goals, they went goaltender over Forwards.

Now, 4 years later opted to keep Sarros long term and move Askarov, and now, there is no way he'd return either Forward. But, as with all goalies, they are long term plays.

I'm kind of surprised and disappointed that Brian Burke advocated for the the reinstatement of Bowman and Quenneville.
That is disappointing, even factoring in the Old Boys Club mentality.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The amount being spent is going to be roughly what Seattle paid (less the cost of maintaining the roof). The Delta Center isn't from the 1950's. It opened in 1991, a year before the arena in Phoenix, 4 before Moda in Portland, and 5 before Rogers Arena in Van.

For that amount, that's basically the cost of a new one I would figure. If the transit is good in the Delta Center, that's fine to spend that kind of money to renovate.
Seems like it will be split in terms of cost. Think AZ was 60/40 city to owner on the $250 mil reno. At a similar ratio, city would kick in $540 mill and team like $360 mill and the city gets a 30 year lease, which averages to like $18 mill per each year that it costs the city. AZ ended up with like $11 mill per year added onto the lease. But, that one in AZ wasn't structural changes. Mostly cosmetic. Seattle was structural.

As long as the arena has the square footage for the bells and whistles, they want to put in it, that's the main issue.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
how on earth did the new utah ownership get away with backing out of their promise for a brand new designed-for-hockey building less than six months into owning the team?

Believe a new arena is also a condition for an Olympic bid. LOL, outright lied.

giphy.gif

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
The amount being spent is going to be roughly what Seattle paid (less the cost of maintaining the roof). The Delta Center isn't from the 1950's. It opened in 1991, a year before the arena in Phoenix, 4 before Moda in Portland, and 5 before Rogers Arena in Van.

For that amount, that's basically the cost of a new one I would figure. If the transit is good in the Delta Center, that's fine to spend that kind of money to renovate.
Seems like it will be split in terms of cost. Think AZ was 60/40 city to owner on the $250 mil reno. At a similar ratio, city would kick in $540 mill and team like $360 mill and the city gets a 30 year lease, which averages to like $18 mill per each year that it costs the city. AZ ended up with like $11 mill per year added onto the lease. But, that one in AZ wasn't structural changes. Mostly cosmetic. Seattle was structural.

As long as the arena has the square footage for the bells and whistles, they want to put in it, that's the main issue.

the 900m is for the whole "entertainment district" and it's expansive. the building renovations aren't going to come near 900m

key arena/climate change also didn't have a tenant during it's renos. the jazz and utah hc both need to play somewhere during the renos. it's not gonna be the maverick center. that's going to drastically limit what they can accomplish

fergo

Are we stopped?
Dec 19, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
the 900m is for the whole "entertainment district" and it's expansive. the building renovations aren't going to come near 900m

key arena/climate change also didn't have a tenant during it's renos. the jazz and utah hc both need to play somewhere during the renos. it's not gonna be the maverick center. that's going to drastically limit what they can accomplish
If the renovations are extensive enough that they have to vacate the Delta Center for a while (which I imagine is the case), I could see the Jazz playing their home games at the Jon M. Huntsman Center on the University of Utah campus. It seats around 15,000, so while a little lower in capacity, it should suffice for a couple of years.

As for the hockey team...that one's a little tougher if they can't play at the Maverik Center. The next likely venue outside of that might be the Peaks Ice Arena in Provo (south of SLC). It was used during the 2002 Winter Olympics for hockey and had a temporary capacity of about 8,400. It looks like they might be doing renos to it to expand that temporary seating (in the event of another Olympics there) to around 10,000, but that's probably down the road if it happens. Peaks Ice Arena isn't the most practical situation for Utah HC, but at least unlike the situation in Arizona, they'll actually have a bigger arena to go back to in the end.

Failing getting into the Maverik Center and Peaks Ice Arena...the only other (relatively) practical arena that could be used is the Utah Olympic Oval, which is used for speed skating among other things. It looks like the seating is at least somewhat flexable (i.e. temporary), but I don't know the max capacity they could have, or how practical housing an NHL team even is there, but it's about the only other option I could find.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

1720193255042.png

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
If the renovations are extensive enough that they have to vacate the Delta Center for a while (which I imagine is the case), I could see the Jazz playing their home games at the Jon M. Huntsman Center on the University of Utah campus. It seats around 15,000, so while a little lower in capacity, it should suffice for a couple of years.

As for the hockey team...that one's a little tougher if they can't play at the Maverik Center. The next likely venue outside of that might be the Peaks Ice Arena in Provo (south of SLC). It was used during the 2002 Winter Olympics for hockey and had a temporary capacity of about 8,400. It looks like they might be doing renos to it to expand that temporary seating (in the event of another Olympics there) to around 10,000, but that's probably down the road if it happens. Peaks Ice Arena isn't the most practical situation for Utah HC, but at least unlike the situation in Arizona, they'll actually have a bigger arena to go back to in the end.

Failing getting into the Maverik Center and Peaks Ice Arena...the only other (relatively) practical arena that could be used is the Utah Olympic Oval, which is used for speed skating among other things. It looks like the seating is at least somewhat flexable (i.e. temporary), but I don't know the max capacity they could have, or how practical housing an NHL team even is there, but it's about the only other option I could find.
Imagine being an Utah STH who tripped over others to get in, then quickly realizing they could be paying a premium to experience the same thing the Coyotes did for decades lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad