Around the League Thread | The one where the NHL once again is the worst.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
the city and the ownership group already backed out of the new building. they're going to play at a renovated delta center and ryan smith is arguing with the city as to whether his plans for an entertainment district can go forward on that site

the city is backing an mlb bid/building now for it's plans
The city is backing all of it. They stipulated that the teams must remain downtown for the already approved tax increase to be used. There will continue to be twists but ultimately a NHL facility will house the team whether it’s new or completely renovated.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Sens just paid to dump Joseph to the Blues... I officially have no idea what Staios is doing. At least Dorion tried swinging for the fences?
This was the guy I hope the Canucks would target, and the Sens threw a sweetener to get rid of the contract? :laugh:

Staios definitely deserves the First Annual Jim Benning Award For Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Stupidity.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Looking around the league, it appears obvious that more and more, teams are going to use buy-out provisions on a lot of the 30-pus players that were signed on July 1st. In fact, 'buy-outs' will likely become part of their UFA strategy.

Let's face it, if you sign a 34-year old guy to a six year contact, you're basically conceding that the guy probably won't be in your lineup in three years. The last three years will be bought out.

With the salary cap likely continuing to increase, there's really no risk. And from the player's perspective, a lot of them wouldn't want to try to drag their bodies out there and last until their 40th birthday anyway. So a 'buy out; is a nice retirement sendoff.

So from Nashville's perspective.....if you can two or maybe even three productive years out of Marchessault and Stamkos, then you don't even care about the remainder of the term. It might work. But it could also blow up in their face.

Reactions: mossey3535

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
i think it's enough time.

it's been nearly three years and that is a long time to be denied the ability to pursue their careers and livelihoods. they didn't commit a crime and i think their acts were based on incompetence and ignorance not malice and look worse today because of the massive social changes since 2010. they should be judged according to the times when it happened.

i also think if bettman had suspended them for two and a half years when the story came out most people would have said that was fair punishment when it expired. it's partly the fact that he has to positively reinstate them that is triggering people.
They hid what he did and recommended him for a job working with youngsters.

I have no idea what you think has changed that affects this kind of inhumane behaviour.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
They hid what he did and recommended him for a job working with youngsters.

I have no idea what you think has changed that affects this kind of inhumane behaviour.

do you think they did that deliberately so he could harm children or they did it incompetentlly and ignorantly not understanding who he was?

i don't disagree that what they did deserve punishment. we just disagree on how much.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I am fine with young players (ie Mailloux/Desmith/etc) getting other chances after having a few years of a clean record.

I am not okay with 50 year old executives having the same privilege.
Yeah I'll be honest, the takes in this thread suggesting these guys are "unable make a living" and should be reinstated after 2.5 years is weak.

They are multi millionaires. That they're entitled to return to life as a professional sports executive in the same league is silly. They're not in jail, they are free, with boat loads of cash, and a resume that would allow them to slot into a lot of other professions. Go somewhere else.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Generally agree with this, particularly the bolded.

It's that they went soft on quietly 'hiding' the suspension in the first place that makes this feel weak, but in reality they've all lost their jobs and been suspended for the better part of three years. It should have just been announced as a suspension at the time and I think the reaction would be much less negative now.
100% disagree. These guys, arguably, should have gone to jail for covering up a sexual assault for the purpose of winning at a f***ing game, or just money or reputation as the coverup proceeded.

Being employed in the NHL is a massive privilege. And Quenneville and probably Bowman would have made a ton of cash doing so. This should have been a permanent ban from the NHL and it really shouldn’t have been a difficult decision and these guys should be rotting in Russia if they still want to be employed in hockey.

It’s insane to me to think that a private association formed to govern a game only suspended these guys for 2.5 years for intentionally covering up a rape in in order to win some “meaningless” games.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I was hoping for some push-back on that "they sucked it up for 2.5' years narrative. They abetted a predator, and their "ignorance" was, IMHO, just them choosing to turn a blind eye to what was going on, in order to stay focused on winning hockey games.
Participating in the game at the NHL level is a privilege, which they no longer merit. If they want to stay involved in the sport professionally, they should have to do it elsewhere... and hopefully, they won't look aside the next time someone gets raped.

iRageWin

Aug 7, 2014
These guys were not ignorant, they actively and intentionally attempted a cover-up of a repeat sexual assault offender. They knew they would receive backlash if anyone found out so they tried their best to keep everyone quiet, even if it meant putting others, including minors, at risk. Their actions were inhumane, and frankly, showed a borderline sociopathic lack of regard for other humans.

"Ignorant" is Toews, Kane, and other players who knew what was going on. They were willfully ignorant to look the other way so that they could keep winning hockey games. While not inhumane to the same degree, it shows some clearly messed up priorities where hockey is held above humanity

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
do you think they did that deliberately so he could harm children or they did it incompetentlly and ignorantly not understanding who he was?

i don't disagree that what they did deserve punishment. we just disagree on how much.
This:
They didn't want the distraction during a cup run so they buried it. Winning was more important then a sexual assault victim.

Generally agree with this, particularly the bolded.

It's that they went soft on quietly 'hiding' the suspension in the first place that makes this feel weak, but in reality they've all lost their jobs and been suspended for the better part of three years. It should have just been announced as a suspension at the time and I think the reaction would be much less negative now.
Disagree.

This is as bad as anything a NHL org has ever done.

They should be banned for life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad