Around the League Thread | The one where the NHL once again is the worst.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
If he ends up in Detroit, the NHLPA/Goodrow better file a grievance.
I’m not a CBA expert, but I’m wondering if this trade actually violates a rule? Perhaps there is a general rule that may be violated?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I’m not a CBA expert, but I’m wondering if this trade actually violates a rule? Perhaps there is a general rule that may be violated?

The letter of the rules were followed here. I think if the NHLPA were to file a grievance, they would argue that the spirit of the rule (NTCs) wasn’t followed. But that’s just my guess.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Yeah, players with NTCs have been threatened with waivers forever. That's how the Lightning moved McDonagh, it's how the Benning-era Canucks moved Garrison...Drury just followed through on the threat with Goodrow. I don't think it's actually happened since Columbus waived Todd Marchant, which was almost 20 years ago.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Wait so they are actually gonna go with Utah HC? Stupid AF
For the first season. No time to decide on the name, logo/branding, uniforms etc... So they will use Utah HC and the light blue/white/black as temp name and colors. Unless Utah HC wins the voting of course. It might. Soccer uses FC all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vector

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
There is a general “no circumvention” rule that could in theory be applied here. Haven’t looked to see if there is anything more specific.

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
There is a general “no circumvention” rule that could in theory be applied here. Haven’t looked to see if there is anything more specific.
I kinda get the feeling our management group knew it wouldn't be challenged for any reasons before filing it. I'm not saying other groups would get caught with their pants down after failing to confer with the league and the PA. I'm really not.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Is Suter the first player to be bought out twice?

Still an incredibly smart defenseman but the legs were not moving against Edmonton. Like Pavelski, these guys are longer capable of playing high intensity hockey.

Dallas is in a good spot. Many of their older guys in Duchene, Smith, Dadanov, Benn and Faksa are either off the books this season or after next year. Seguin will be their only anchor.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I wonder who takes over for Holland in Edmonton. Would be somewhat hysterical if they went back to their OBC for a GM.
Now, bear with me one second....can you imagine....

jim-benning.jpg

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Yeah, players with NTCs have been threatened with waivers forever. That's how the Lightning moved McDonagh, it's how the Benning-era Canucks moved Garrison...Drury just followed through on the threat with Goodrow. I don't think it's actually happened since Columbus waived Todd Marchant, which was almost 20 years ago.

Slight digression: It's so funny to think back to them dumping Garrison for a 2nd and everyone was like "hey thats a good move, we got a valuable pick" before immediately flipping it for Linden Vey.

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Slight digression: It's so funny to think back to them dumping Garrison for a 2nd and everyone was like "hey thats a good move, we got a valuable pick" before immediately flipping it for Linden Vey.
As soon as that happened is when I started getting a bad feeling about that management group.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Here's the actual thing with Jim Benning. I know for a fact that he's actual quite dumb. That hasn't stopped other GMs from being successful. The big giant issue with Benning was only he and Weisbrod made any decisions. They were so insular that everything was decided in a bubble with no outside input. Jim Benning could be superficially successful in another organization if he's surrounded by smarter people. Similar to Don Waddell in Carolina. The main difference, I don't think Benning's ego would allow himself to be put in that situation but maybe that's the price he has to pay to be a GM again. Even if it's in name only.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
benning going to edmonton and then making a couple of riverboat gambler moves that lead to immediately winning the cup there would be perhaps the funniest thing ever to happen to this board. almost worth it for all the heads exploding.

• Wow
Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
There’s nothing wrong per se with threatening waivers to ditch a productive player who has an NTC. The team(s) that make a claim would have a legitimate interest in acquiring a player they would otherwise have to pay for free.

But it’s different if the Sharks only put the claim in for expectation of getting something else via trade later. Thats arguably circumvention.

Making a claim would require PA/Goodrow to effectively admit he isn’t worth his contract though, so that makes it less likely they try anything.

Reactions: Vector

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
There’s nothing wrong per se with threatening waivers to ditch a productive player who has an NTC. The team(s) that make a claim would have a legitimate interest in acquiring a player they would otherwise have to pay for free.

But it’s different if the Sharks only put the claim in for expectation of getting something else via trade later. Thats arguably circumvention.

Making a claim would require PA/Goodrow to effectively admit he isn’t worth his contract though, so that makes it less likely they try anything.

Ah yes, I see what you mean. Even in the Marchant case, Fedorov went to Columbus first, and *then* he got waived.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
This Holland thing is interesting. You would think he’d want to see it through to a championship. Maybe he knows Drai is unlikely to sign?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Here's the actual thing with Jim Benning. I know for a fact that he's actual quite dumb. That hasn't stopped other GMs from being successful. The big giant issue with Benning was only he and Weisbrod made any decisions. They were so insular that everything was decided in a bubble with no outside input. Jim Benning could be superficially successful in another organization if he's surrounded by smarter people. Similar to Don Waddell in Carolina. The main difference, I don't think Benning's ego would allow himself to be put in that situation but maybe that's the price he has to pay to be a GM again. Even if it's in name only.

I think on top of being dumb as a post, Dimbo also has this fascinating tendency to think that he's 100 steps ahead of and way smarter than everyone. If you look at much of the stupid crap he did, a lot of it screamed self-unawareness.

He was an imbecile who thinks he's playing 4D chess like Carlsen and Fischer, while in reality couldn't even draw a full circle without somehow setting his house on fire.

smrt-homer.gif

And Aquaman led him stay for almost 8 years.

Reactions: supercanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad