Around the League Thread | The one where Florida blows it…?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
They were talking about this on the 32 pod and it happened before leading to the introduction of the NMC
Those of you who listened to 32 thoughts today are brave men, I couldn't do it after the Oilers win last night

I can't remember one. I think TB threatened Ryan McDonagh with it when they originally moved him out in order to leverage the actual trade that happened. It was like 'we're waiving you and Columbus will claim you unless you accept this trade to Nashville' or something like that.
Pretty funny since he went crawling back to them now

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
There were rumours that McDonagh to the Predators was one of these deals where they threatened to put him on waivers but that's been denied.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I just skip the oilers c*^k sucking part

I've literally never listened to the podcast. I just can't do it. When Friedman gets into his "talking without saying anything" mode it's insufferable.

I miss the written version, to be honest. Allowed me to skim for the nuggets I cared about with ease.

Just another reason why @Vector is the hero we need and don't deserve.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There were rumours that McDonagh to the Predators was one of these deals where they threatened to put him on waivers but that's been denied.
Think a transaction between the 2 clubs will occur in the future which could be a swap of picks that involved SJ sending over a minor leaguer to free up a contract slot.

Hardest part for rebuilding clubs is getting good vets to join them. They know Goodrow so they have some comfort there.

Can SJ afford to be terrible bad with Macklin, Smith, Eklund on the team next season? With a rookie nhl HC too?

SJ also has no more retention slots to acquire a guy for tdl trading purposes. Not until after burns is done.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I've suggested this as a way to get around NTCs in the past and it's interesting to see it actually being done.
this is how McDonagh ended up in Nashville. It was 'waive to Nashville or be waived and be picked up in Columbus.'

I have no doubt this happens a lot behind the scenes. Nate Schmidt willingly waiving to Winnipeg causes me to raise my eyebrow.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
this is how McDonagh ended up in Nashville. It was 'go to Nashville or be waived and picked up in Columbus.'

I have no doubt this happens a lot behind the scenes. Nate Schmidt willingly waiving to Winnipeg causes me to raise my eyebrow.

I think that was purely because he saw what a tire fire it was here and was willing to go anywhere else.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
i guess the king's got a goalie and a little capspace but that whole sequence that brought them to this point is pretty funny.

Reactions: mossey3535 and quat

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
PLD is only 25, i like the chances of him working out in a different environment.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
When you consider Kuemper's substantially negative value, they lost the equivalent of 3-4 1st round picks in value for one bad season from Dubois.

It's one of the worst trades of the cap era.
At least they are not cap f***ed

LA wins this in terms of sheer value but for a team needing to take a big step forward I think banking on Dubois returning to form would be a better bet than Kuemper + 3 million in cap space.
I think that shows how little confidence in PLD to bounce back

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
How absolutely hilarious is it that Washington bought CapFriendly only to go and acquire Dubois and his 8 years

Like did they not get access to the site yet
They need a guy with some skill to feed Ovie and they are gonna rebuild after Ovie breaks the record so this wouldn’t matter for them

Reactions: mossey3535

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
PLD is only 25, i like the chances of him working out in a different environment.
Has it ever happened before? 3oa pick on his 4th team at 25 years old.

I found a couple that would go to their 3rd team at 25 but never 4th. Maybe they are hoping to get similar results as they got with Dylan Strome.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I can't remember one. I think TB threatened Ryan McDonagh with it when they originally moved him out in order to leverage the actual trade that happened. It was like 'we're waiving you and Columbus will claim you unless you accept this trade to Nashville' or something like that.
Tampa Bay did the same thing with Dan Boyle to force him to waive his NTC to go to San Jose.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They need a guy with some skill to feed Ovie and they are gonna rebuild after Ovie breaks the record so this wouldn’t matter for them
Yeah but to have both old and Wilson on the books for 7 more season? Oshie and Backstrom are going to be ltir this season. Retained on Kuz. And Ovy and Carlson are done their deal in 2 seasons. Would flush out a lot of cap after 2 more seasons.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah but to have both old and Wilson on the books for 7 more season? Oshie and Backstrom are going to be ltir this season. Retained on Kuz. And Ovy and Carlson are done their deal in 2 seasons. Would flush out a lot of cap after 2 more seasons.
I mean rebuild would take like 5-8 seasons. I think it will take 2 seasons min for Ovie to break the record and then after that those contracts will help them be absolute ass for like 2-3 seasons so the timeline is really not that bad.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I'm pretty sure you can go into threads each time he was traded and find this exact statement, adjusted for age.

PLD underwhelmed in three very different systems... if he gets to stand still in the PP and rack up points while his team gets blasted, that still won't be a measure of success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad