Around the League Thread | Stop f***ing crying, bro, this isn’t Junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Kings would eat over $27M in cash and also in cap hit. Some would be deferred for a number of years, but even factoring that into the account I think retaining up to $3M is an option even if they only got a bag of pucks for him.
The numbers go up and down. $1.6 mil approx for years 1-3. $3.8 mill for years 4-6. $2.8 mill for year 7, then it's like $1.4 mill for years 8-14. In years 8-14 the cap is going to be $100 mill plus. If the feel they can better utilize the $7 mill in cap room for someone better, for years 1-3 that probably is the deciding factor, unless they think he can rebound. $3.8 mill in dead cap for 3 years isn't ideal, but that's how the formula works when you have SB involved.

Reactions: mossey3535

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It was very different during the Luongo years and the Leafs were a sadsack team.

You had the TO media like Cox and Simmons taking potshots at the team, and locals would give you a bit of grief. Usually about the Sedins and how they were wusses or sissies or whatever.
To add to this, if you remember in the 2000's Calgary and Edmonton's Stanley Cup finals run the pompoms were full out to cheer 'Canada's Team' from the national media. Canucks get their run and they're the villains from day 1. I could never really understand it.

Burt Macklin

Oct 9, 2018
To add to this, if you remember in the 2000's Calgary and Edmonton's Stanley Cup finals run the pompoms were full out to cheer 'Canada's Team' from the national media. Canucks get their run and they're the villains from day 1. I could never really understand it.
I think it had a lot to do with Kesler being painted as the villain from recent olympics, and also the way Raffi Torres played the game.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Kings had an absolute treasure-trove of picks, prospects, and young players to acquire whoever they wanted and absolutely blew it. I have no idea where Blake goes from here but he deserves all the criticism.
This is not quite accurate and a good example of the challenge in rebuilding. It's not that they had the assets to "acquire whoever they wanted", but rather they had the assets to acquire whoever became available. What would have really put them over the top? Trading for a guy like say Alex Barkov. But who was available at the time they pulled the trigger? PL Dubois.

You see this a lot, it's typically 2-3 big name players that become available every summer and the real challenge if you have the assets is waiting to jump on the right guy. Brian Burke for example, when he went to Anaheim and made a big splash right away Chris Pronger was available. He tried to do the same thing in Toronto, but that summer the big name available was Phil Kessel.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is not quite accurate and a good example of the challenge in rebuilding. It's not that they had the assets to "acquire whoever they wanted", but rather they had the assets to acquire whoever became available. What would have really put them over the top? Trading for a guy like say Alex Barkov. But who was available at the time they pulled the trigger? PL Dubois.

You see this a lot, it's typically 2-3 big name players that become available every summer and the real challenge if you have the assets is waiting to jump on the right guy. Brian Burke for example, when he went to Anaheim and made a big splash right away Chris Pronger was available. He tried to do the same thing in Toronto, but that summer the big name available was Phil Kessel.
Very few true UFAs ever hit the market. Talking the few over the past decade or something like a Tavares, Panarin, Gaborik or so.
If you want someone, have to trade for them.

I mean, did LA have the package to send to Cal to get Tkachuck? And was LA somewhere Tkachuck wanted to go? It would have had to be younger package than what Calgary targeted from FLA.

Obviously, LA gave up Faber. Vilardi has done well since overcoming his back problems. Still a player who misses a lot of games. Only 63 and 47 played the past 2 seasons. Maybe he's just got Salo type luck with injuries and can't be relied upon for a 75 game season.

I think those are the 2 big prospects they gave up on. Kupari hasn't really done anything yet. And the CBS deal with GAvrikov, I think that was mostly draft picks.

Maybe I just need a fresher of this treasure trove of prospects the Kings had 2 or 3 years ago?

Last edited:

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Kings would eat over $27M in cash and also in cap hit. Some would be deferred for a number of years, but even factoring that into the account I think retaining up to $3M is an option even if they only got a bag of pucks for him.
If they buy him out now they save over 32 million but have a cap hit until 2038, not huge but it counts as one.
They could save more in retention and even get something, anything in return.
They were patient with Byfield IMO they give him another year at least until the TDL.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

mike gillis and the canucks under him had no ins to the old boys club that was even more dominant in canadian media than it is now. the few links we had (linden, steve tambellini, brian burke) were heavily alienated against the franchise at that time. and they were up against an O6 squad with alumni in prominent HNIC positions - don cherry and pj stock being the loudest of the group. finally, the canucks most prominent players were a pair of swedes, a pissy american, no household name defensemen, and a polarizing goalie that hadn't yet endeared himself broadly.

there was no conspiracy against the canucks, or some aligned nationwide hatred like many of you still seem to hold onto. things would've been different if we had played tampa, had jonathan toews instead of kesler, or had a more prominent national sports writer than gary mason, in the mould of cox, spector, or simmons covering the team

Reactions: B-rock

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
It's wild how little Benn cares about defence lol. He blew the zone when it didn't even look like they were going to get the puck out, let alone with possession.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
If it was not for Ottinger the game would be completely out of control, with Vegas leading by half a dozen goals by now.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Back when we had both the AHL and IHL Chicago could be independent. But now that we are up to 32 NHL clubs with likely another expansion in the horizon they really can’t be. Not in a league that has created rules limit teams of older players.
Chicago has to accept that otherwise there’s really no where else they can be a part of.

Probably the worst AHL organization to affiliate with since all they care about is winning, zero care about development so if a young player struggles with them they’re basically screwed and won’t see much ice time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad