Around the League Thread | Stop f***ing crying, bro, this isn’t Junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Thats some Benning level signing right there.
Holy moly

Oh, the buyout actually doesn't look...THAT bad? Or am I talking out of my ass here?

Ok f*** it, I want the Leafs to win game 7

I still feel pretty neutral towards both teams, but it's always nice to see players who are lightning rods getting their acts together and come out big.

Next game obviously will be very important.

If we get to see Brad Marchand crying again, it'll be worth it.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Oh, the buyout actually doesn't look...THAT bad? Or am I talking out of my ass here?
I dont even know if the buyout makes sense for them at this point, I dont think that cores got it in them anymore so maybe just bite the bullet and ride it out.

Who knows maybe some dumbass GM will trade a top 10 pick along with prospects to get PLD.

I do agree that the penalty isnt really that bad though, sucks that it was self inflicted and lasts for more than a decade though lol

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I dont even know if the buyout makes sense for them at this point, I dont think that cores got it in them anymore so maybe just bite the bullet and ride it out.

Who knows maybe some dumbass GM will trade a top 10 pick along with prospects to get PLD.

I do agree that the penalty isnt really that bad though, sucks that it was self inflicted and lasts for more than a decade though lol

No matter how the series turn out, there's one bright spot:

After this season, our ears will never bleed again from listening to Jack Edwards.

Another Empty Netter

Jan 14, 2011

Fire Blake and then do it!

makes sense BUT

I think I'd rather LA keep that money tied up in him so he can be bag skated and scratched every day like in that movie Groundhog Day for the term on the contract he signed.

Maybe valet cars for other players on game days as well. He'd probably breach his contract

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
One caveat is the age the player is deemed at the buyout date. Elliotte Friedman is wondering if it’s like UFA where the date is based at July 1 or for the age you are deemed when you sign your contract to determine the length of your elc deal which is at Sept 15.

Buyout period is like 2 days after the cup is awarded. So around June 20 give or take. But is the buyout based on your age at buyout date or at a certain date like July 1 in which Dubois would then be deemed to be 26 not 25.

Heard he mentioned it on his radio sport for 690 or something . See if he follows up to confirm.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Man oh man, that 2016 draft, you just have to shake your head at. Austin Matthews to the Leafs at #1 was a no-brainer.

But after that, it was Patrik Laine to the Jets; Pierre Luc Dubois to the Jackets; Jesse Puljujarvi to the Oilers; and Oli Juolevi to the Canucks. Laine and Pierre Luc Dubois started their careers on fire; but then the rot set in. Laine ended up in Columbus where the sun is slowly setting on his career; while Dubois is now underachieving on his third team. Puljujarvi's career never really got off the ground.

The second-best player in that draft was Matthew Tkachuk who went 6th to Calgary. And Clayton Keller has been decent in Arizona. But sometimes that's what the way the cookie crumbles at the top of the draft.

But even a season or two of Laine and Dubois, would have been better than what the Canucks got out of Juolevi.

Last edited:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
But even a season or two of Laine and Dubois, would have been better than what the Canucks got out of Juolevi.

image.jpeg.695d7f35a69e3d10eb18fed203b1d261.jpeg

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I honestly don’t even hate the leafs. I’ve lost the hatred I had but to be honest, I can’t even remember why I hate them why I hate them. The Kadri hit on Daniel and Martin running rookie Stecher probably the only thing I can really think of that really made me hate them for awhile but they don’t even play for them anymore. Nylander and Matthews are likeable people. No real douchebags, some good hard nosed guys. If we don’t win, I don’t mind cheering for them. Yeah they a ton of media attention but who cares? They have the biggest fanbase in the league. And no other team is as cursed as the Leafs have been for the last 60 years.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
No Canadian team has won the Cup in 30 years.......and I suppose there's still a chance it could happen this season.

And if by some miracle it was the Leafs.....I wouldn't be all that upset. Patriotic blood is thicker than water. Besides Toronto and the Leafs Army has had enough disappointments since the 'Shanaplan' was introduced to last a life-time. And the Leafs faithful have paid the price in blood, sweat and tears.

But then I guess the same can be said for almost every Canadian team over the past decade. There's been a lot more 'downs' than 'ups'.

Reactions: DarrenX

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
And if by some miracle it was the Leafs.....I wouldn't be all that upset.
I am bemused by the virulent Toronto/Leaf hatred here (a team with which the Canucks have no natural rivalry and little history), and I'd enjoy the Leafs winning just to see heads explode. I grew up in BC but live in TO now. I'm a fan of both teams tbh. The regional resentment of Central Canada is entirely one way.... nobody in Toronto thinks about other Canadian teams very much. (Even the Hab hate is cooled because it's been a long time since both teams were good at the same time).

how the hell a Canucks fan cheers for @#$% Boston under any circumstances, I'll never understand. To paraphrase Churchill talking about the Nazis: "If the Boston Bruins were playing the Devil, I'd cheer on the Devil".

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
No Canadian team has won the Cup in 30 years.......and I suppose there's still a chance it could happen this season.

And if by some miracle it was the Leafs.....I wouldn't be all that upset. Patriotic blood is thicker than water. Besides Toronto and the Leafs Army has had enough disappointments since the 'Shanaplan' was introduced to last a life-time. And the Leafs faithful have paid the price in blood, sweat and tears.

But then I guess the same can be said for almost every Canadian team over the past decade. There's been a lot more 'downs' than 'ups'.
I'd be upset if the Leafs won the Cup in the modern era before we do. Same with any other Canadian team. It's a jealousy rivalry thing, especially with teams like Toronto who are rammed down our throats every day in the media. Oilers I don't like because they've been gifted so many top picks and have managed to screw up many of them. The American teams don't bother me as much for some reason. Once we've won our cup I don't care who else wins it. Just give me one Cup.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I'd be upset if the Leafs won the Cup in the modern era before we do. Same with any other Canadian team. It's a jealousy rivalry thing, especially with teams like Toronto who are rammed down our throats every day in the media. Oilers I don't like because they've been gifted so many top picks and have managed to screw up many of them. The American teams don't bother me as much for some reason. Once we've won our cup I don't care who else wins it. Just give me one Cup.
Bettman crowned TO as "Canada's Team" like all of Canada is one franchise. Which would work out the number if they are all counted as one franchise. I mean the odds of a Canadian team if you count them up individually are beyond counting, like lightening striking the same spot 10 times is more likely. Some math guy ;) ;) worked out the odds of a Canadian team not winning a cup to be trillions to one if counting all 7 franchises separately but that gets reduced dramatically if all are counted as one.

Nov 1, 2011

It’s pretty weak thinking.

Just like Canucks fans caring what the Oiler fans have to say after any of our wins.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
nobody in Toronto thinks about other Canadian teams very much.
And you wonder why we don’t like them? I mean normal fans thinking that way is fine. That thinking bleeds to the media and basically ended with the effect of multiple generation having the leafs shoved in front of our faces because they don’t think we actually care about the teams that are not the leafs.

Reactions: Nuck Bonino

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

bro, you have been watching too much BP's ad :laugh::laugh::laugh:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
lol 14 years of cap pen
It's a long penalty, but manageable, as it's around $1.6 mill for 3 years, then jumps to $3.8 mill for 3 years, then down to $2.8 mill then down to the regular $1.4 mill. By the time the $3.8 mill hits, the cap will be into the low to mid $90's depending on HRR.

There is some catchup that needs to occur to the NHL cap for 2-3 years, then it should level out after that since the PA wants to keep escrow low. And I don't think NHL gambling money is as big, but maybe I'm under estimating that. Escrow was set to 6% this year and probably ends up being around 3% of a player's salary that they end up returning to the NHL, which is what the PA wants vs a higher cap of $3-5 mill and having to return 8% of the salary in the end.

Reactions: BimJenning

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I honestly don’t even hate the leafs. I’ve lost the hatred I had but to be honest, I can’t even remember why I hate them why I hate them. The Kadri hit on Daniel and Martin running rookie Stecher probably the only thing I can really think of that really made me hate them for awhile but they don’t even play for them anymore. Nylander and Matthews are likeable people. No real douchebags, some good hard nosed guys. If we don’t win, I don’t mind cheering for them. Yeah they a ton of media attention but who cares? They have the biggest fanbase in the league. And no other team is as cursed as the Leafs have been for the last 60 years.
I don’t hate the actual team at all, outside of maybe Domi. I just want them to lose because a lot of their fans/media were happy to see Boston win in 2011.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Eh, I guess the path of...least resistance?

I wonder what the plan actually is. They trade Guentzle, Crosby is a bit ticked off, and now they are gonna make Sullivan upset too? Is this the first step to a tear down rebuild? Because screwing over your franchise player and champ coach doesn't sound like a good start to continue competing for playoffs.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Eh, I guess the path of...least resistance?

I wonder what the plan actually is. They trade Guentzle, Crosby is a bit ticked off, and now they are gonna make Sullivan upset too? Is this the first step to a tear down rebuild? Because screwing over your franchise player and champ coach doesn't sound like a good start to continue competing for playoffs.

Plan?

Squeeze every last juice of Crosby, Malkin and Letang and scrape into the playoffs, and see what happens. That was pretty much the plan. And do it with sub-par goaltending, the Kyle Dubas way.

It was doomed from the start.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Plan?

Squeeze every last juice of Crosby, Malkin and Letang and scrape into the playoffs, and see what happens. That was pretty much the plan. And do it with sub-par goaltending, the Kyle Dubas way.

It was doomed from the start.
If Sid is retiring after the final year of his contract, I'd say stay in Pitt and call it a career. If he intends to play longer than I'd say he should look to move on. There's no major milestones for him to reach like Ovy. Sid likely needs to play like 5 more years to hit 2000 points as he is just under 1600. Unlikely he'd get 404 more in the next 328 regular season games. So, probably not playing that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad