Around the League Thread | Stop f***ing crying, bro, this isn’t Junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Urgh, even as a goalie I don't think a single skate blade when the goalie chooses to be on top of the crease is necessarily interference.

Reactions: Vector

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
8 HC changes since start of 21/22 season. Hakstol was 6th longest tenure. Cooper, Bednar, Sullivan are 1-3 and won a Cup. Brindy and Keefe at 4/5. Brindy will return next season as Canes are a good team. Keefe may get the ax for the Leafs.

Add in CBS is likely to hire a new HC once they name a GM as well. Could get to 10 changes from start of 1 season to the next. Crazy.... But, in a guaranteed contract and hard cap league, not much a team can do to change things up.
Returning with Keefe was madness this season let alone next season.

Reactions: BimJenning

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Returning with Keefe was madness this season let alone next season.
And they extended him....

But, would expect to see him canned plus a change in Columbus to take us to 10 HC changes. Which is pure insanity.

For context, how many GMs have been axed?

Dorian in Ott. Jarmo in Columbus.

Guys who fired their HC are Francis in SEA, Holland in Edm, Grier in SJ, Lou in NYI, Adams in Buf, Fitzgerald in NJ. Who is safe and really for how long?

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
If the Oilers advance to the WCF....Most of us here will probably just stop watching.

If the Canucks advance to the WCF....They'd probably set up viewing parties to root against us.
As a hockey fan, If you wouldn't want to watch a WCF with the Oiler vs one of Vegas/Dallas/Colorado, I don't know what to tell ya.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

But, would expect to see him canned plus a change in Columbus to take us to 10 HC changes. Which is pure insanity.

Guys who fired their HC are Francis in SEA, Holland in Edm, Grier in SJ, Lou in NYI, Adams in Buf, Fitzgerald in NJ. Who is safe and really for how long?

Grier should be safe for another year because SJ is rebuilding. Holland should be safe unless the Kings comeback. The rest are definitely on the hot seat and could be fired with a bad start/season

Reactions: mossey3535

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Grier should be safe for another year because SJ is rebuilding. Holland should be safe unless the Kings comeback. The rest are definitely on the hot seat and could be fired with a bad start/season
Agreed. Lou been there for a while. Fired Trotz after a pair of final 4 trips but missed the PO in 2022. Now fired Lambert. Adams, also under pressure for Buf to make PO. Fitz, had the Hughes injury to bail him out but Meier didn't look as good and he needs to solve the goalie issue otherwise he's likely toast if they miss again.

Francis, I'd say is safe for next season, but the year after that is unknown. Holland, who knows. He's not likely to get another contract from EDM anyways. Grier, the fact he fired his HC after just 2 years isn't good for a rebuilding team. He really needed that HC to endure the bulk of the losing like Eakins and Blashill did for Ana and Det.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

At this point I think the players are likely more of a problem.

Leafs have to move Tavares first, this guy is becoming more useless every year while taking up a mind boggling 11 million cap hit.

Not sure if Marner trade is a must but, I think his attitude is starting to stick out like a thorn in the Leafs' ass. He seems to project this superiority complex, that he himself is above criticisms, and that he doesn't have to care about or answer to anyone. No, this is not a good thing.

Speaking of which, Samsonov needs to be out. I don't know if Marner got it from him or he got it from Marner but, this guy's superiority complex borders insanity. Unlike Marner who can at least flash his skills, I don't see Samsonov being a serviceable goalie.

Look at options on those three, and get help on defense. I'm just pulling this out of my ass here but I think it'd at least be a start.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Both Tavares and Marner have nmc. Though easier to move Marner since he would want a max term deal and if he wont get it in Toronto he’d probably be more willing to move on. Tavares less likely given he won’t need a max term deal. So more likely to see him stick it out.

Toronto since Matthews selection in 2016, they only have Liljegeen and Knies as drafted players in their lineup. When you pay 4 forwards $40 odd mill need some young guys to develop.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
At this point I think the players are likely more of a problem.

Leafs have to move Tavares first, this guy is becoming more useless every year while taking up a mind boggling 11 million cap hit.

Not sure if Marner trade is a must but, I think his attitude is starting to stick out like a thorn in the Leafs' ass. He seems to project this superiority complex, that he himself is above criticisms, and that he doesn't have to care about or answer to anyone. No, this is not a good thing.

Speaking of which, Samsonov needs to be out. I don't know if Marner got it from him or he got it from Marner but, this guy's superiority complex borders insanity. Unlike Marner who can at least flash his skills, I don't see Samsonov being a serviceable goalie.

Look at options on those three, and get help on defense. I'm just pulling this out of my ass here but I think it'd at least be a start.
These "changes will be made" are all posturing; they know they can't really move Marner and Tavares at their cap hits. The Leafs will change their coaching staff this off-season and roll out the same core 4 for their last hurrah; then, once both Marner and Tavares are off the books, they will start making moves.

That's a WTG prediction LOCK, so it is truth

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
These "changes will be made" are all posturing; they know they can't really move Marner and Tavares at their cap hits. The Leafs will change their coaching staff this off-season and roll out the same core 4 for their last hurrah; then, once both Marner and Tavares are off the books, they will start making moves.

That's a WTG prediction LOCK, so it is truth

Yeah that sounds like the most plausible scenario.

Doing so means wasting more prime years of Matthews, which...is a shame.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Neither of them should've counted imo, and it's a dumb challenge considering the call on the ice.
Stay out of the crease it's rather simple.

Reactions: stampedingviking

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Players were involved, per Kaplan:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Treliving could have done literally anything last off-season and he did nothing. All of those guys had NMC/NTC kick in July 1st and he got hired in May.

Plus everyone inside and outside the league knew the Leafs were basically either chokers or worst case completely gutless. Treliving could have easily fired Keefe and moved out either Nylander (though I wouldn't, he is arguably the best of the four) or Marner for help. Instead he added useless players around the edges.

I don't even blame him for Samsononv based on the previous year, the guy regressed hard this year.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
As a neutral hockey fan, it should have been the Penguins. I badly wanted to see Crosby in the playoffs again and think a healthy Pens team with Guenztel would have given the Rangers a bigger roadblock. Just too unfortunate that Rust, Letang and Guentzel all went down with injuries.

Capitals will have wasted probably 5-7 years of a potential rebuild, all to allow one player to chase a record.
The Pens season was absolutely inexplicable to me though. They actually weren't all that bad but they somehow had a terrible PP with those players.

Like if they had a normal PP for a 15 game stretch they probably easily make the wild card. Jarry wasn't even as bad as people made out and Nedeljkovic was a good pickup.

Part of it was Malkin, you can't list him a big asset unless there's major bounce back next season, I was shocked how slow and ineffectual he was on the ice.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
What did Hakstol even do? I remember Boeser mentioning that he went to UND because of Hakstol on the spittin chicklets podcast (Hakstol ended up joining the Flyers just before Boeser’s freshman year).

Also what’s with college coaches seemingly being ass once they coach the NHL.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
What did Hakstol even do? I remember Boeser mentioning that he went to UND because of Hakstol on the spittin chicklets podcast (Hakstol ended up joining the Flyers just before Boeser’s freshman year).
Took them to the Frozen Four a bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad