Around the League Thread | Stop f***ing crying, bro, this isn’t Junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Jon Cooper - Lightning - Mar 25, 2013
Mike Sullivan - Penguins - Dec 12, 2015
Jared Bednar - Avalanche - Aug 25, 2016
Rod Brind'Amour - Hurricanes - May 8, 2018
Sheldon Keefe - Maple Leafs - Nov 20, 2019
Andre Tourigny - Utah/Coyotes - Jul 1, 2021
Martin St. Louis - Canadiens - Feb 9, 2022
Bruce Cassidy - Golden Knights - Jun 14, 2022
John Tortorella - Flyers - Jun 17, 2022
Peter DeBoer - Stars - Jun 21, 2022
Paul Maurice - Panthers - Jun 22, 2022
Luke Richardson - Blackhawks - Jun 27, 2022
Derek Lalonde - Red Wings - Jun 30, 2022
Jim Montgomery - Bruins - Jul 1, 2022
Rick Bowness - Jets - Jul 3, 2022
Rick Tocchet - Canucks - Jan 22, 2023
Spencer Carbery - Capitals - May 30, 2023
Andrew Brunette - Predators - May 31, 2023
Greg Cronin - Ducks - Jun 5, 2023
Ryan Huska - Flames - Jun 12, 2023
Peter Laviolette - Rangers - Jun 13, 2023
Pascal Vincent - Blue Jackets - Sep 17, 2023
Kris Knoblauch - Oilers - Nov 12, 2023
John Hynes - Wild - Nov 27, 2023
Patrick Roy - Islanders - Jan 20, 2023
Lindy Ruff - Sabres - Apr 22, 2024

Vacant:
Blues (Interim Drew Bannister)
Senators (Interim Jacques Martin)
Kings (Interim Jim Hiller)
Devils (Interim Travis Green)
Sharks
Kraken

-Rick Tocchet is the 16 longest tenured coach in the NHL
-Andre Tourigny's start time is technically Apr 18, 2024 but that seems dumb
-8 head coaches were hired in the summer of 2022; 6 in 2023

Reactions: Lindgren

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I see a lot of teams play worse hockey than Hakstol’s Kraken

Yeah. People acted like he was Dallas Eakins or Travis Green when he was hired. Made the playoffs 3/7 years coaching mostly bubble teams. I'd say he's met expectations relative to the strength of teams he's coached. He's definitely a better coach than the coaches that carousel the bottom feeders

Berube is available and likely gets picked up somewhere.

Travis Green still not tied down and available for anyone wanting to try and win but tank since every other team in the league is a "good one".

I find it hilarious that New Jersey got worse after their "new coach bump"

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I'm still a bit shocked that the Habs went and hired Marty St. Louis to be their head coach. I think he had only coached his son's hockey teams up until that point.

Like, hire me. I could probably figure it out pretty quickly if there's no expectations of success. Plus I can kind of speak French.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
8 HC changes since start of 21/22 season. Hakstol was 6th longest tenure. Cooper, Bednar, Sullivan are 1-3 and won a Cup. Brindy and Keefe at 4/5. Brindy will return next season as Canes are a good team. Keefe may get the ax for the Leafs.

Add in CBS is likely to hire a new HC once they name a GM as well. Could get to 10 changes from start of 1 season to the next. Crazy.... But, in a guaranteed contract and hard cap league, not much a team can do to change things up.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Their Around the League thread may as well be re-titled "f*** Vancouver". It's so comical how much they talk about us in there.

lol, there is as much or possibly more of an oilers obsession amongst canucks fans as there is over there. i didn't catch the jets game and hopped into this thread to see if there were any good recaps, only to see like 5 pages of "lol pdo" in here, along with the constant edmonton talk in gdt and on vancouver radio, etc.

which sure, best player in the world and all that... but they're a pretty flawed team that we match up very favorably against. but hundreds of posts per oilers game? genuinely don't get it.

i want the canucks to win the cup, and right now the biggest barriers would be colorado and vegas. hope winnipeg at least plays physical for a couple games before the inevitable loss there, and hopefully dallas ties it tonight.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
If the Oilers advance to the WCF....Most of us here will probably just stop watching.

If the Canucks advance to the WCF....They'd probably set up viewing parties to root against us.

2011 really f***ed us up psychologically lol. respectfully, this is leaf fan levels of paranoia

i can assure you that aside from the dozen weirdos on the oilers board that are obsessed with hating the canucks more than they like the oilers that this would not happen haha

Reactions: Lindgren

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Five vacant coaching spots and I wouldn't be surprised if there's one or two more once the first round ends. Additionally, as far as I know Brind'Amour hasn't been signed to an extension yet.

Carolina is insane if they don't re-sign Brind'Amour, IMO. I think he's an excellent coach.

The word is like last time, he is all but signed, and is making sure his assistants are also taken care of before he signs... think EF said it on 32 thoughts in one of the podcasts.

The reporting around it is that he wants all of his assistants to get extensions first. There's also loose speculation that they are being somewhat cheap again but that seems to be idle thinking about why it's taking so long.

I should have gone to the next page before replying...

• Haha
Reactions: Vector

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
With ailing superstars Nylander and Matthews ,the Leafs should be toast next game…Same for the Kings who have zero answers for the potent Oilers offense.

The Canucks/Predators series could go to 7 games, based on their close series

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With ailing superstars Nylander and Matthews ,the Leafs should be toast next game…Same for the Kings who have zero answers for the potent Oilers offense.

The Canucks/Predators series could go to 7 games, based on their close series
Van needs to step up and close out the series asap tomorrow.
Van is the home team in rd 2. That would go either Sunday (when game 7 with Nash could go), or it has to be Tuesday, given the concert on Monday.

Reactions: BimJenning

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I didn't get to comment on it yesterday, but glad the Rangers swept the Caps.

Ovechkin is in Mark Messier territory now. Past his best-by date, a total defensive liability, and just cherry picking his way towards a record (with Messier it was Howe he was chasing)

As a neutral hockey fan, it should have been the Penguins. I badly wanted to see Crosby in the playoffs again and think a healthy Pens team with Guenztel would have given the Rangers a bigger roadblock. Just too unfortunate that Rust, Letang and Guentzel all went down with injuries.

Capitals will have wasted probably 5-7 years of a potential rebuild, all to allow one player to chase a record.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
None of the teams in contention for the Eastern WC2 spot deserved to make the playoffs. None of them could even fail upwards properly. A pox on those organizations!

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
lol, there is as much or possibly more of an oilers obsession amongst canucks fans as there is over there. i didn't catch the jets game and hopped into this thread to see if there were any good recaps, only to see like 5 pages of "lol pdo" in here, along with the constant edmonton talk in gdt and on vancouver radio, etc.

which sure, best player in the world and all that... but they're a pretty flawed team that we match up very favorably against. but hundreds of posts per oilers game? genuinely don't get it.

i want the canucks to win the cup, and right now the biggest barriers would be colorado and vegas. hope winnipeg at least plays physical for a couple games before the inevitable loss there, and hopefully dallas ties it tonight.
I understand that frustration. But the Oilers are the Canucks biggest rivalry, so I kind of like that both fanbases are rilled up by the potential matchup.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
As a neutral hockey fan, it should have been the Penguins. I badly wanted to see Crosby in the playoffs again and think a healthy Pens team with Guenztel would have given the Rangers a bigger roadblock. Just too unfortunate that Rust, Letang and Guentzel all went down with injuries.

Capitals will have wasted probably 5-7 years of a potential rebuild, all to allow one player to chase a record.
Backstrom got hurt. Kuz has personal issues. Oshie, breaking down, but given his age, not surprising. They took a shot with Sandin, so not sure how that's going, but they are no longer in the market to buy at the TDL. They aren't moving forward.

Ovy, also is old. Ovy would have been a really young 2003 draftee had he been born 2 days earlier. Carter just retired. Leaving really Burns and Pavelski remaining from that draft class. He's record chasing, so the Caps want him to do that for them.

They are on their way to a massive overhaul of the roster. Just need to purge it. Probably should aim to move Wilson if they can. Carlsson has 2 years left. Those are the 2 guys they can get something for.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Carolina is insane if they don't re-sign Brind'Amour, IMO. I think he's an excellent coach.
Insane to be so cheap as to let probably the best coach in the league walk over money, when he's the reason that franchise makes money.

I Brindamour is a FA I expect a massive bidding war that the leafs win after they fire Keefe.

Hakstol is a decent coach amd he did a pretty good job, just too many other high tier coaches available now, and probably more to come, but I expect him to land on his feet.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Insane to be so cheap as to let probably the best coach in the league walk over money, when he's the reason that franchise makes money.

I Brindamour is a FA I expect a massive bidding war that the leafs win after they fire Keefe.

Hakstol is a decent coach amd he did a pretty good job, just too many other high tier coaches available now, and probably more to come, but I expect him to land on his feet.
He’s been in Carolina for a long time. But really stupid to bet on a guy not willing to leave the city. Given that he’s 4th longest tenured HC should get paid. I mean AV was getting $5 mill per from NYR and Phi.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I see a lot of teams play worse hockey than Hakstol’s Kraken
Hakstol is as mid/mediocre of a coach as it gets. Smart move to fire him right now, with a bunch of interesting/good coaches on the market.

In SEA and Philly, Hakstol's teams have been poor at creating chances, mostly due to his antiquated style of play. Even last season, when they were "good", at 5v5, SEA was 20th in xGF/60 in 22/23, per Evolving Hockey. 22nd in scoring chances for/60, per NST.

Pretty much were just benefitting from good fortune last season. SEA was first league-wide in 5v5 shooting percentage in 22/23, at 10.4%. They were at 8.2% in 21/22, and 7.7% in 23/24.

• Wow
Reactions: mossey3535 and Peen

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Agreed. If there is any fanbase with a weird persecution/inferiority complex, it's the Canucks. Half the posts here are about the Oilers. It's sad.
If the Oilers advance to the WCF....Most of us here will probably just stop watching.

If the Canucks advance to the WCF....They'd probably set up viewing parties to root against us.
Case in point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad