Around the League Thread | Pre-Season Approaches

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
I think the Oilers are in trouble. Jeff Skinner and Alveridson weren't the player's they needed. This isn't the eastern conference. They don't look like a good fit

They really should have matched one of the offer sheeted players instead of losing both. They literally changed nothing in goaltending. Stu Skinner and Picard. Who they've shown they don't have confidence in (even though he's better technically than Skinner) They actually let the Canucks sign Lankenen instead of putting a bid on themselves. Its unreal.

And yet...

It is all McDavid wishcasting. They want McD to win a cup. So they convince themselves that the Oilers can do it.

Reactions: David71

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I have no clue. 13-14 years now of sucking, doesn’t look like it’ll get any better.

They need to retool that rotten loser core. Nobody in that organization knows how to win or what it takes to win.

First they need to get rid of Kevyn Adams. Then I’d start with the lame ass one dimensional players. Guys who don’t seem to give a shit or don’t bring much overall team value. Thompson, Quinn, quite honestly Power, etc.

Benson looks like a gamer but he’s f***ing 19. But you keep him, Cozens, Dahlin, Byram, Samuelsson, Tuch, and Peterka and find guys that can support them. They need Theodore, Andersson, Weegar, types. Kadri, Colton, Middleton, Granlund for example would be nice depth players to add and are role players that are actually good. Not useless bums like Lafferty or McLeod.

If I’m Buffalo I’d be working on a trade that sends Power to Calgary for Andersson. Or hell Thompson and Power for Andersson, Kadri, and Coleman. Just those 3 guys alone would instantly change the culture.
The NHL schedule-makers didn't do Vancouver's expansion cousins much of a favor--forcing them to travel to Prague for a double-header against the Devils.

The Devils are my pick to make a quantum leap in the Metro Division this year, now that their goaltending is solved with Markstrom. This is a deep team. And if they can avoid the injury bug--look out!

Reactions: LemonSauceD

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The NHL schedule-makers didn't do Vancouver's expansion cousins much of a favor--forcing them to travel to Prague for a double-header against the Devils.

The Devils are my pick to make a quantum leap in the Metro Division this year, now that their goaltending is solved with Markstrom. This is a deep team. And if they can avoid the injury bug--look out!
Did Buf volunteer to go? Or was it their turn as the nhl eyes globalization of the game?

Overall not the end of the world to lose to.NJ. Figure them for a massive bounce back this season. Car and NYR along with NJ are my bets as the top 3 in the metro. NYI along with the rest will compete for the WC. Now had they lost to NYI then that would be bad as that’s completion for the WC spot.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
I think the Oilers are in trouble. Jeff Skinner and Alveridson weren't the player's they needed. This isn't the eastern conference. They don't look like a good fit

They really should have matched one of the offer sheeted players instead of losing both. They literally changed nothing in goaltending. Stu Skinner and Picard. Who they've shown they don't have confidence in (even though he's better technically than Skinner) They actually let the Canucks sign Lankenen instead of putting a bid on themselves. Its unreal.

And yet...

It is all McDavid wishcasting. They want McD to win a cup. So they convince themselves that the Oilers can do it.

I'm fine with it personally.

We need to earn the respect of being a top tier contender and the best way to do that is to beat the Oilers in the post season and make deep runs.

Or just win the whole damn thing.

Bring on the disrespect, I hope we play with a chip on our shoulder all year because of it.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I hate to say it but I wouldn't be surprised if last year really took a toil on him mentally, thus leading to substance abuse. From what I recall when he was in Toronto is he's a great guy but an emotional one; gets inside his own head a lot. With how badly things went in Edmonton, yeah...

Really hope he gets whatever help he needs and finds a nice place to land. Definitely think a quieter team would do him wonders.

That sounds like a reasonable deduction. Oh well, hope he'll recover and get on with his life.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

And yet...

Pickard sucks, they are going to play him like 20 games and force Skinner to play 60ish and burn him out. Skinner is already pretty mid to start so imagine an overworked one.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Pickard sucks, they are going to play him like 20 games and force Skinner to play 60ish and burn him out. Skinner is already pretty mid to start so imagine an overworked one.
Its weird their number 1 doesnt compliment how they play at all

They can give up a lot down low and a lot in tight and skinner turns like a freighter

UNpess they tighten up considerably and consistently its just more of the same

Reactions: arttk and Brookbank

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I'm fine with it personally.

We need to earn the respect of being a top tier contender and the best way to do that is to beat the Oilers in the post season and make deep runs.

Or just win the whole damn thing.

Bring on the disrespect, I hope we play with a chip on our shoulder all year because of it.

Let the puck and ice do the talking.

Oilers did that to a degree last season and almost made history.

We did it too by crashing into playoffs and came close to advancement.

Florida did it by winning the 45 lb monster.

Most urinalists don't know jack shit these days.

• Haha

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

And yet...

Unfortunately the league seems on board with the media in wishing McDavid a championship. ‘Great players’ are more marketable when they win things.

It’s like the whole sport is trying to get behind getting that unfairly talented miserable sphincterface a Cup.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Doubt, I don’t think they, or any team really, is going to post a 95% PK in the playoffs. That is like a once in a lifetime phenomenon.
their pk was actually pretty good last year. average goaltending some depth scoring besides mcdrai.but they lost a ton of speed.. unless stan bowman finds some "fast players" it will be a tough task for them to go back to the finals. quite funny how vancouver and edmonton complete opposites. vancouver did get fast with the additions of debrusk,heinen/sherwood,sprong forwardwise.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
their pk was actually pretty good last year. average goaltending some depth scoring besides mcdrai.but they lost a ton of speed.. unless stan bowman finds some "fast players" it will be a tough task for them to go back to the finals. quite funny how vancouver and edmonton complete opposites. vancouver did get fast with the additions of debrusk,heinen/sherwood,sprong forwardwise.
That’s the point, there is a difference between pretty good and 95% good. They basically killed Dallas, us and the Kings with their PK. I think 80-85% is doable and I don’t think I they will make it to the finals with that %.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
That’s the point, there is a difference between pretty good and 95% good. They basically killed Dallas, us and the Kings with their PK. I think 80-85% is doable and I don’t think I they will make it to the finals with that %.
guess we shall see how the season plays out.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

And yet...

It blows my mind how overrated the Oilers are getting. Are they a good team? Sure. I'm not bias enough to argue otherwise. They made it to the cup final, after all. That being said, I don't see how they're remotely the odds on favourite to win.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
It blows my mind how overrated the Oilers are getting. Are they a good team? Sure. I'm not bias enough to argue otherwise. They made it to the cup final, after all. That being said, I don't see how they're remotely the odds on favourite to win.

Once they take a look at that blowhard, Frank Seravelli, whom wears size 45 pants to work cause that's how he loves Edmonton, they'll be locks in no time!

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Once they take a look at that blowhard, Frank Seravelli, whom wears size 45 pants to work cause that's how he loves Edmonton, they'll be locks in no time!

Seravelli is the very definition of urinalist who talks out of his ass all day everyday.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Seravelli is the very definition of urinalist who talks out of his ass all day everyday.

I cannot believe this fool is still in his 30's, guy looks severely overweight and has grey hair like no other. For a guy that puts effort in his 'journalism' and constant talking about hockey, why can't he put effort in losing some damn weight?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad