Around the League Thread | Pre-Season Approaches

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Thompson and Tuch look awful. Ruff addresses this by putting Greenway on that line...

Buffalo looks awful.

Just conceding the middle of the ice over and over again. No tracking back from the Cs (especially Thompson). Looks like us from 2022.

NJ's defensive/goaltending rebuild looks impressive and they don't even have Luke Hughes or Brett Pesce healthy yet.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I think the Pesce deal is solid. Dillon, yeah. But they needed to revamp their D and get some veteran defensive guys in there.

My concern with Pesce is his skating, apparently I haven't watched him much, has declined and then had season ending surgery and isn't ready to start the season. I'm concerned he's already damaged goods.

Reactions: wetcoast

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
My concern with Pesce is his skating, apparently I haven't watched him much, has declined and then had season ending surgery and isn't ready to start the season. I'm concerned he's already damaged goods.

Fair. He's been a player I've loved for years and he's still only 29 and the AAV isn't crazy so I'm not too concerned ... but yeah, the injury is certainly a concern.

Reactions: Vector

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
There are like 20 teams that should have been lining up to give Montreal a 2nd for this player during the summer, and some contender probably should have given a late 1st for him at the deadline to get him at that salary for two playoff runs.

The NHL market is bizarre and I don't understand it.

And yeah, NJ are one of the few teams that seem to understand value propositions on D and target the right guys.
Yeah what fans often miss in these cases is that it should be less about how little a team got for a certain player and more if he was so cheap then why didn't anyone else step in with a better offer.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah what fans often miss in these cases is that it should be less about how little a team got for a certain player and more if he was so cheap then why didn't anyone else step in with a better offer.

NHL pro scouting has improved a bit in the last 10 years but it's still an incredibly inefficient market.

The trade cost for Kovacevic at $766k vs. the contracts LA gave to a washed Joel Edmundson and Toronto gave to Ilya Lybushkin just ... make no sense. Kovacevic is the best player of those 3, and the youngest by several years.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
NHL pro scouting has improved a bit in the last 10 years but it's still an incredibly inefficient market.

The trade cost for Kovacevic at $766k vs. the contracts LA gave to a washed Joel Edmundson and Toronto gave to Ilya Lybushkin just ... make no sense. Kovacevic is the best player of those 3.

Point of order! Dallas paid Lyubuskin (and Dumba). Toronto paid a one-legged Hakanpaa.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
When you go overseas, you give the clubs time to get over their jetlag upon their return.
But, it's alway odd to see real games under way while there are PS games going on.

NFL offers their clubs the option to take their bye week following their Europe games. Up to the team to accept it or not before they release their schedule.
I know why, it's just stupid on top of stupid.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The NHL is boring when it come to there PBP guys, and Intermissions. The NFL is in another stratosphere. Heck, the CFL is better.
While pre-game and half time for NFL broadcasts are much better the game itself is often dreadfully boring. Sure it's much better football in terms of athleticism and skill compared to the CFL but the CFL is a better viewing experience. IMO. Pretty much everyone I know down here watches the NFL to see how much they are going to owe their bookie at the end of the day. They aren't really fans of the sport.

Reactions: wetcoast and Vector

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

The trade cost for Kovacevic at $766k vs. the contracts LA gave to a washed Joel Edmundson and Toronto gave to Ilya Lybushkin just ... make no sense. Kovacevic is the best player of those 3, and the youngest by several years.
I think part of the problem is that teams don't trust the performances of non-name brand players on really shitty teams. And there is some good reason for this, and its also something we witnessed during the Benning years. Its hard to get value for non-name brand players who are playing well on shitty teams because other teams are skeptical that they can do this on an actual well structured and competitive team.

Teams can probably exploit this, but I have also seen tons of trades where the non-name brand player is acquired and fails to meet expectations because they actually weren't as good as they looked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad