Around the League Thread | Pre-Season Approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Boston doesn't really have great options outside of Swayman, unless they're planning on playing a combo of Korpisalo and Dipietro.

Once they traded Ullmark, Swayman saw his leverage shoot through the roof.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
a bunch more injuries and maybe the NHL will realize that the slight money grab is not worth it and reduce the amount of preseason games.
I do think PS only needs to be like 4/5 games (2 home games for each and maybe a neutral site one). Vets typically only play 3 games.

That said, it's just sheer luck that guys get hurt that badly. Laine was against a 25 year old career minor leaguer. Doughty, he had Tanner Pearson on him. PTO with LV, but a decade plus NHL veteran. Unlike the NFL, NHL teams are not going to scrimmage against other clubs. A lot of NFL HC prefer to get their starters their work in scrimmages where they can setup situations like Red Zone vs the opposition coaches.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Swayman needs a phonecall from Klingberg
Sorokin was $8.25 last off-season
He had proven he could handle a heavy workload with substantially higher games started.
Higher vezina finishes

To me, I know there is an age difference between the two
But that contract for swayman seems like a no brainer, unless they are a part on structure.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
He had proven he could handle a heavy workload with substantially higher games started.
Higher vezina finishes

But that contract for swayman seems like a no brainer, unless they are a part on structure.
I just dont see the Bruins airing dirty laundry if it was squabbling about structure. Swayman is likely holding firm to his 10m-ish wishes

Reactions: Breakers

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Higher vezina finishes

helly begins his $8.5 mill deal this season but he's like 5-6 years older that Swayman. Swayman is 26 in Nov. But, Swayman hasn't carried a workload over 44 games. Not that I think Boston would ask him to be a 65 game starter. Probably around 55 or so starts, basically 2/3 games.

They will have to figure something out.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
swayman might be the most valuable goalie in the league, but any goalie that doesn't take a guaranteed $64m is nuts. might be the most volatile the position has ever been in terms of season by season performance from the top guys.

if i'm boston i'd put a 10x1 on the table, and challenge him to perform. if he does, give him the 10x8. if not, he takes a 7x8.

this is the opposite of the bridge contract fiascos from 5-7 years ago. there's no real upside for swayman beyond 10, so boston doesn't have much risk in holding out on him (unless he demands a trade, but then they'll get a f*** load of assets to use elsewhere). swayman could win the vezina and conn smythe this season and he still might not have many teams lining up to offer 12m+ or something.

very curious to see how that unfolds

Reactions: Josepho

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Good to see the collective insanity that still pops whenever anyone from our most recent worst era is mentioned under any context.

Green was a fine coach, not a great coach, but a fine one and mostly coaches really show their stripes in their second and third stops in the NHL.

What constitutes a bad coach in your books?

All of this extrapolating and judgment casting “he said a meanie thing and it’s because he is evil and stupid”.

For me it's more he's been a self-interested f***wit who has zero interest or care in team play going back to his days as a player. He's always rubbed me the wrong way and I'm old enough to recall him.

His stint in Utica wasn't revelatory or interesting or showed anything of note. In fact, I'd argue that he did a lot of overall damage. His stint as Canucks HC led to some of the team's worst seasons. His stint in Jersey wasn't particularly encouraging based on results/performance, and now we see him being a shitbird in Ottawa, much like how he's been for pretty much his entire career.

It’s not all so cut and dry between good and evil. Sometimes it’s just a decent coach pushing his players and a reporter catching a 2 second sound bite.

There's a difference between being a hardass who is pushing your players and just being a deluded asshole who enjoys huffing their own farts. I'm not really willing to give him a lot of latitude given all we know about him.

I don't see him as a 'motivator' or a team guy. I see him as a Barry Melrose kind of guy -- someone who had phenomenal talent who he just rode to success he had little part in.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Looking like one of those years where very few PTO's are going to win NHL contracts. Not too surprising I guess. Just too many teams struggling with cap management issues.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
What constitutes a bad coach in your books?

For me it's more he's been a self-interested f***wit who has zero interest or care in team play going back to his days as a player. He's always rubbed me the wrong way and I'm old enough to recall him.

His stint in Utica wasn't revelatory or interesting or showed anything of note. In fact, I'd argue that he did a lot of overall damage. His stint as Canucks HC led to some of the team's worst seasons. His stint in Jersey wasn't particularly encouraging based on results/performance, and now we see him being a shitbird in Ottawa, much like how he's been for pretty much his entire career.

There's a difference between being a hardass who is pushing your players and just being a deluded asshole who enjoys huffing their own farts. I'm not really willing to give him a lot of latitude given all we know about him.

I don't see him as a 'motivator' or a team guy. I see him as a Barry Melrose kind of guy -- someone who had phenomenal talent who he just rode to success he had little part in.
I'm old enough to remember him as a player as well. And you're correct that he started off as a lazy skill guy who leeched points off of playing with Palffy (an all time favorite of mine). But when that stopped working, you will also recall, he reinvented himself as a defensive center which takes humility and hockey sense to do.

His stint in Utica we went from being hapless in the minors to going to the finals. What was he given to work with? We were a team with horrendous depth and (after 2020) a broken culture from way above.
His stint in New Jersey with some of the worst goaltending and all of their D injured doesn't tell me anything.

I'm not saying he's the best coach in the league. But he's a sharp guy and I think he's a decent coach who will probably improve as he continues to wet his feet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad