Around the League Thread | Pre-Season Approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Robertson made a business decision.
I wasn't watching this game. Why was Robertson hooking/touching him? There was nothing to his left he needed to know about unless Robertson though he was about to be blindsided by the defender buttonhooking and putting his shoulder on him, but he didn't have the puck and it's a preseason game.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Good to see the collective insanity that still pops whenever anyone from our most recent worst era is mentioned under any context.

Green was a fine coach, not a great coach, but a fine one and mostly coaches really show their stripes in their second and third stops in the NHL.

All of this extrapolating and judgment casting “he said a meanie thing and it’s because he is evil and stupid”.

2 things that should be patently obvious:

1. This is professional sports with millions to billions of dollars on the line. This probably isn’t the harshest thing the players heard that day. It’s so clear that many many people here never played serious team sports.
No it’s not okay to humiliate or violate people’s sense of personhood like Babcock clearly did.
But hearing it harsh that “many of you aren’t gonna make the team” and blowing up about that is just soft as a grape without knowing of any special evil context.

Which brings me to:

2. A single tweet that quotes a single sentence without much context. We don’t know how he said it, what he said before it, or what he said after it.
I personally hate all of the famous and unfunny comedians crying about how the world is too woke to laugh at their special jokes (when really they mostly aren’t funny and constantly punch down instead of up which is cowardly and typically not funny), but this is like when some HuffPo blogger would quote a premise as if the comedian said it while staring into the eyes of a crying child.

Get ahold of yourselves and remember that these are people and professionals at that.

It’s not all so cut and dry between good and evil. Sometimes it’s just a decent coach pushing his players and a reporter catching a 2 second sound bite.

Very well said. I still find it incredible how so many people started blaming Green when the roster construction was 99% to blame.

As you said the many people jumping and piling on to call out Green should re-evaluate their understanding of what was happening on the team on that point. Obviously he is a good enough coach that informed hockey people keep giving him chances. Should tell people something. As you said it often takes a coach several iterations before they come into their own. He's just a regular coach who coached poorly built hockey teams.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I wasn't watching this game. Why was Robertson hooking/touching him? There was nothing to his left he needed to know about unless Robertson though he was about to be blindsided by the defender buttonhooking and putting his shoulder on him, but he didn't have the puck and it's a preseason game.

He was doing that weird and honestly probably mostly counterproductive pushing your teammate on the backcheck thing that players have started occasionally doing over the past few years.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
LA is f***ed, especially considering they lost their #2RD (and #2 TOI D) in Matt Roy already this summer.

Their right side is now Jordan Spence-Kyle Burroughs-Brandt Clarke. Spence and Clarke are pure skill D that you don't want anywhere near a leverage matchup.

Reactions: arttk and Vector

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

fracture ankle sounds like half a season gone type of injury.

LA is f***ed, especially considering they lost their #2RD (and #2 TOI D) in Matt Roy already this summer.

Their right side is now Jordan Spence-Kyle Burroughs-Brandt Clarke. Spence and Clarke are pure skill D that you don't want anywhere near a leverage matchup.
amazing how Blake pissed away all that RD depth for nothing in return really.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

I wonder if Anderson or Gavrikov( who will now be playing above where he should) can play the right side. Even if they can't, they may be better off with them playing together to handle the tough minutes, instead of playing Spence or Clarke in a role they will get eaten alive in.

Reactions: Peen and MS

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Any idea why he was demoted? Was Demko’s injury dragging out blamed on Clark?

either they weren't interested in having clark run goaltending if he wasn't also going to be taking a direct hand in coaching (ie on ice) or they blame him for some of the issues around demko's durability

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Any idea why he was demoted? Was Demko’s injury dragging out blamed on Clark?
Clark wanted to step back from being on the ice all the time and expected to keep his head of goaltending development position, the Canucks instead moved him into a scouting role. There's speculation that the team has questioned his training methods in light of Demko's injury.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
IMG_6667.jpeg

Holy shit I didn’t know Skjei had grey hair. He turned 30 like 6 months ago.

• Wow
Reactions: Kevinsane

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Yikes,. It looks like the face went into the skate at the end.
Very well said. I still find it incredible how so many people started blaming Green when the roster construction was 99% to blame.

As you said the many people jumping and piling on to call out Green should re-evaluate their understanding of what was happening on the team on that point. Obviously he is a good enough coach that informed hockey people keep giving him chances. Should tell people something. As you said it often takes a coach several iterations before they come into their own. He's just a regular coach who coached poorly built hockey teams.
I think it was proved with Bruce and Tocchet that the same lineup gave different results than he ever did. For someone who played his career on D, he certainly couldn't come up with a system that worked other than over relying on the goalie.

For further proof, he's the only coach for the Canadian team at the Spengler Cup to never win a game. Yes, they were a beer league team, but so were all the other teams.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Yikes,. It looks like the face went into the skate at the end.

I think it was proved with Bruce and Tocchet that the same lineup gave different results than he ever did. For someone who played his career on D, he certainly couldn't come up with a system that worked other than over relying on the goalie.

For further proof, he's the only coach for the Canadian team at the Spengler Cup to never win a game. Yes, they were a beer league team, but so were all the other teams
Green was a forward. That's still no excuse for the defence his teams played though. Actually "have you seen my effing roster" is probably Green's best excuse for his record here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad