Around the League Thread | Pre-Season Approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Habs are gonna look scary real soon.

Hutson has looked incredible thus far. Slaf, Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Guhle, Reinbacher, Mailloux, and Demidov just had a 4 point night in the KHL as an 18 year old.

They also have terrific younger depth pieces like Roy, Thorpe, Xhekaj 1 and 2, Strubble, etc.

Slaf last 30 games was like watching Caps/Rangers Jagr.
I'm not so sure about that as some of these players have real ceilings and might already be close to it right now.

As for Slaf he was better and still has room to grow but no he didn't look like Capitals/NYR Jagr in terms of impact at all as Jagr was still a force in the NHL while Slaf was good but tied for 50th in league scoring.

Demidov also won't be in Montreal for a couple of years and the Habs still have work to do but they do have a lot of picks coming up.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
The heck did Gilmour do to you bro.

Was my baby sitter in St. Louis.

I almost met Dougie once when my friend got us into the Canucks dressing room after a game. Guys were still coming in on their skates and he was already outside the room 10 min after the game dressed up to the nines, hair slicked back, in a black leather jacket with two 6 foot super models. I tried to say "Hi", and he just looked at me and then shook his head to one of the girls and said "Does he know who I am"? What a dick lol.

He was super short too haha. His ladies were like half a foot taller than him.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
if you went with a two league system and relegation there would need to be an equivalent to the fa cup running all season in parallel with the regular season/playoffs to give an incentive to the buried teams.

i got roasted for suggesting relegation on the main board. to be fair it is a hard path. it would require complex revenue sharing and player loans to make it happen, but the entrenched interests and mindset shift is the bigger hurdle. the worst teams currently in the nhl would always oppose the move even if the consequences were revenue neutral.

but there is drama and excitement in relegation and promotion derbies can be milked. in the epl small market teams that regularly flirt with relegation can become more well known than middle of the pack steady eddies. there is also drama from a team moving up into contention.

the reality though is that with 36 teams the league starts to get too large to follow. that is over 800 roster players plus prospects.
Markets like Anaheim and Carolina already had issues filling up their arena shortly after winning a cup, if they ended up relegated, there will be nobody showing up at all. Even competitive teams like SJ, Tampa, etc has had trouble drawing crowds during their down years. I think relegation could potentially kill off half the league. I mean, would you guys pay $100 a ticket to watch the Nucks if they play in the relegated league? Maybe the hardcores, but certainly not the fair weather fans or the corporates, and the merchandise wouldn't sell. And lets not kid ourselves that ticket price would be cheaper for relegated teams, that ain't happening.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
relegation would only work if you got rid of the draft otherwise you'd risk stuff like bedard or celebrini being stuck in omaha in the third division for the primes of their career

i wouldn't necessarily be opposed to getting rid of the draft though. i think with a salary cap the draft is probably counterproductive in ensuring competitiveness

agreed with abolishing the draft, but why would relegation run the risk of omaha? even with relegation it'd be mental to expand beyond 36 teams.

celebrini is already going to be stuck on a dog shit sj team for the next number of years; this way he might actually get to achieve something (becoming a playoff eligible team) over the next half decade.

Markets like Anaheim and Carolina already had issues filling up their arena shortly after winning a cup, if they ended up relegated, there will be nobody showing up at all. Even competitive teams like SJ, Tampa, etc has had trouble drawing crowds during their down years. I think relegation could potentially kill off half the league. I mean, would you guys pay $100 a ticket to watch the Nucks if they play in the relegated league? Maybe the hardcores, but certainly not the fair weather fans or the corporates, and the merchandise wouldn't sell. And lets not kid ourselves that ticket price would be cheaper for relegated teams, that ain't happening.

it wouldn't be relegation for existing teams, it would have to be framed as "promotion" for the others that effectively serves the same function.

we're already seeing the path to it with the introduction of the in-season tournament in the nba

there are going to be teams like columbus (unfortunately), nyi, post-crosby pittsburgh, etc. that are stuck in a decade long purgatory of no playoffs and no real hope (ie. the jim benning canucks). the canucks didn't sell out in those years. but if you can craft actual stakes to games so that there are always meaningful games in march, that's a win.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
So just to inform you guys, tons of goalies around the league in these first pre-season games using the Vertical-Horizontal (VH) instead of the RVH (Reverse Vertical Horizontal) which is what I've been saying has been contributing to Demko's injury issues.

IMO just the start of a move away from blind application of the RVH. Goalie coaches and goalies are adapting to the increased prevalence of shooters looking for bad angle short side roofers. Also helps with the Michigan to some extent. I expect to see more butterfly overlap as well but this move keeps you inside the post so helps you react faster to wraparounds.

Again, the RVH isn't inherently flawed. But the way many goalies and definitely our goalies were applying it as a panacea was starting to get exploited by forwards.

Dana Murzyn

Oct 5, 2005
So just to inform you guys, tons of goalies around the league in these first pre-season games using the Vertical-Horizontal (VH) instead of the RVH (Reverse Vertical Horizontal) which is what I've been saying has been contributing to Demko's injury issues.

IMO just the start of a move away from blind application of the RVH. Goalie coaches and goalies are adapting to the increased prevalence of shooters looking for bad angle short side roofers. Also helps with the Michigan to some extent. I expect to see more butterfly overlap as well but this move keeps you inside the post so helps you react faster to wraparounds.

Again, the RVH isn't inherently flawed. But the way many goalies and definitely our goalies were applying it as a panacea was starting to get exploited by forwards.
Genuinely appreciate your deep-dive goalie content, in spite of only understanding about 30% of it.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Let me know which bits you want me to explain. Or you can look into my post history, I usually describe it every so often.
This is a page I used a bit ago when trying to figure out what the heck you were talking about lol. Perhaps it helps some others who are as dumb as me.

Reactions: mossey3535

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad