Around the League Thread | Pre-Season Approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
i also forgot how to properly swim frontstroke and re-learning wasn't that hard except for getting used to the breathing patterns (i'm still probably bad but acceptable at it).

i think if you are able to tread water and breaststroke, i would consider that being able to swim.
Yeah, I think it's a reasonable take to include a lot of abilities under the umbrella of being able to swim.
I swam regularly, trained for and was a life guard for a while in my early 20's, and a buddy who competed at a pretty low level in Uni had the opinion that life guards can't swim. I guess it's kind of a relative thing.

• Haha
Reactions: God

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
Did anyone else grow up swimming competitively as a kid/teenager and then get burnt out from all the practices/training/swim meets and just avoid pools/water completely for their whole adult life? Or am I just weird like that :dunno:

Hear the same thing about some NHL players not putting skates on ever again after retirement and I totally get it

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Did anyone else grow up swimming competitively as a kid/teenager and then get burnt out from all the practices/training/swim meets and just avoid pools/water completely for their whole adult life? Or am I just weird like that :dunno:

Hear the same thing about some NHL players not putting skates on ever again after retirement and I totally get it
Probably the way it is for most elite athletes. Do we expect to see the Mannings, Brady, Brees to wear cleats again?
Same goes for the great baseball players?

Now they can still play their sport casually in sneakers. And nhlers can do so with street hockey or with roller blades in a casual setting.

Basketball players pretty easy to put on their shoes again and put up some jump shots.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Probably the way it is for most elite athletes. Do we expect to see the Mannings, Brady, Brees to wear cleats again?
Same goes for the great baseball players?

Now they can still play their sport casually in sneakers. And nhlers can do so with street hockey or with roller blades in a casual setting.

Basketball players pretty easy to put on their shoes again and put up some jump shots.

I do find it odd that NHL players don't put on skates again after retirement until the alumni games. I guess it takes extra effort to go to rink? Like they don't even go out and pass the puck around with their kid?

Basketball players have at least shot the ball. I would be surprised if HOF quarterbacks haven't thrown footballs since retirement. I would think it's the same with baseball players.

For those who swam competitively and have kids, did you not get in the pool with your kids?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I do find it odd that NHL players don't put on skates again after retirement until the alumni games. I guess it takes extra effort to go to rink? Like they don't even go out and pass the puck around with their kid?

Basketball players have at least shot the ball. I would be surprised if HOF quarterbacks haven't thrown footballs since retirement. I would think it's the same with baseball players.

For those who swam competitively and have kids, did you not get in the pool with your kids?
The other sports you can find parks to do that quietly with your kids (or if wealthy, have you big backyard to do it) and not draw attention to yourself.

Hockey players would have to go to their local rink and would draw attention.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Poor Clayton Keller - the Tom Holland/Mark Ruffalo of Utah.

I don't hate the Yeti as a name. Still don't really understand why they didn't/couldn't have it ready to go in time for their inaugural season.

They need to wait for the NHL to permit corporate logo's for 2025-2026! Get ready for the YETI wordmark to be the main logo :DD

220px-YETI_Mug_%2849670546153%29.jpg

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It could be worse than 'Yeti' but s-less names on sports teams will always be the equivalent of naming your kid Kiel or Krztoffer instead of Kyle or Christopher.
It is getting harder to land trademarks unless you go something original. Even with knights Vegas needed golden as they could t just be knights for their trademarks.

None of the options were really good. I liked the potential of a bee logo if they went Venom.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It is getting harder to land trademarks unless you go something original. Even with knights Vegas needed golden as they could t just be knights for their trademarks.

None of the options were really good. I liked the potential of a bee logo if they went Venom.

I thought 'Utah Outlaws' which was one of the main options was a quality name and rolled off the tongue really well, although perhaps the super-religious area wouldn't have loved it.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I thought 'Utah Outlaws' which was one of the main options was a quality name and rolled off the tongue really well, although perhaps the super-religious area wouldn't have loved it.

Many moons ago when I had a console capable of playing NHL video gamez, I would create a custom team and name them Outlaws. It's a solid team name that isn't used in any of the major North American professional sports leagues.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I really like the Utah Black Diamonds, thought it was a pretty rad and a bit more creative of a team name. I like Yeti more than the Kraken though, I guess we're all about mythical creatures in the NHL now.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Equally as bad as Kraken but could be worse, I'd guess it will be when the logo(s) is released.

Par for the course these days but I'm not buying a sweater so whatever.

Yeti better be the team 'sponsor' though it's too obvious.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Equally as bad as Kraken but could be worse, I'd guess it will be when the logo(s) is released.

Par for the course these days but I'm not buying a sweater so whatever.

Yeti better be the team 'sponsor' though it's too obvious.

As far as s-less names go the ones that are at least a tangible 'thing' are a small step up on the ones that are, like, a verb. One of the WPHL teams is called the 'Charge' which is just about the lamest thing I've ever heard.

Reactions: Vector

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Crosby's obsession with 87 is so strange.

He's cool of course. Making cool contracts is more important than money to him. Although I would imagine he makes far more in endorsements etc., so it doesn't really matter However him staying with the Pens in this fashion is just a testament to why he's the best player in the world the last 2 decades ... he's 100% dedicated to his team and himself.

Instead of fishing for a team he can just jump to and piggyback to win a cup he feels he can make a difference on the team and players he's already with. That's a true champ imho!

Reactions: Flik

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
As far as s-less names go the ones that are at least a tangible 'thing' are a small step up on the ones that are, like, a verb. One of the WPHL teams is called the 'Charge' which is just about the lamest thing I've ever heard.
Maybe the logo makes up for the name.
Kraken, I get that they were never going to actually put a squid on the logo. But, IMO, Kraken logo gives off more of a NFL/MLB logo vibe. Because you'd mostly see it as a decal on a helmet or the baseball cap. Hockey, with a larger area on the jersey, you can afford to be a bit more detailed, but not to point of the LA shield logo, but it got to be too much as you miss out on the sunglasses on the lion when you have to shrink the logo down for a pin, shot glass, and other merchandise.

Minny Vikings, on a hockey jersey would put the full face of the viking, which is pretty much also on all merchandise vs. just the horn or whatever that is on their helmet decal.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

That was my personal favourite, too. Don't hate the Yeti, and it lends itself to fun logos, mascots, merchandising, etc. - but Outlaws is a sweet name.

Reactions: MS and Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad