Around the League Thread | Pre-Season Approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I loved when Sid left Tim & Sid because the entire reaction was "Oh...good". His entire job was to get reactions but that doesn't work if you aren't right at least a small number of times.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That's what Sid said about the OEL deal to Canuck fans. He called the knowledgeable portion of our fanbase 'dumb' - a hilarious irony.

Seixeiro is the exact sort of person to be dazzled by Jim Benning so you actually probably could have predicted stuff like this a mile away, ha.

As for Sidney Crosby, I don't often make weird off-ice predictions but I feel like at some point 10 or 15 or 20 years from now something truly weird/fascinating/bizarre is going to come out about his personal life. He keeps it *so* private for an athlete of his stature and the little bits that do come out are always kind of low-key weird in contrast to his super clean-cut, generic image.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
As for Sidney Crosby, I don't often make weird off-ice predictions but I feel like at some point 10 or 15 or 20 years from now something truly weird/fascinating/bizarre is going to come out about his personal life. He keeps it *so* private for an athlete of his stature and the little bits that do come out are always kind of low-key weird in contrast to his super clean-cut, generic image.

I have a feeling it's only going to be low-grade weird. Like he REALLY like cottage cheese and puts it on everything or can't swim. Him and Mike Trout come across as very similar robot sportsmen.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I have a feeling it's only going to be low-grade weird. Like he REALLY like cottage cheese and puts it on everything or can't swim. Him and Mike Trout come across as very similar robot sportsmen.

Meeting adults from Canada who can't swim is really the weirdest f***ing thing. HOW?

Reactions: Vector

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
I've never seen someone so consistently able to be wrong about *everything* as Sid Seixeiro. It's actually a wonder to behold akin to Jim Benning as a GM where you couldn't be that consistently wrong about everything if you were trying to on purpose.

He’s the Bo Jackson of being wrong across multiple sports.

IMG_0005.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Szechwan and MS

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
You can take swimming lessons with my kids. We'll cheer you on. And then laugh as you struggle in the wave pool.
I took swimming lessons up until level 6. I havent swam in like 17 years since other than the times i got in the pool and realized i didn’t remember how to swim.

I feel like (re)learning to swim as an adult is so embarrassing so I keep putting jt off

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Meeting adults from Canada who can't swim is really the weirdest f***ing thing. HOW?

used to be that everyone at least did basic swim lessons as a kid, but i think now with the cost of everything going up and time required, etc. there's a ton of people in their early 20s now that just never did, and it's only getting worse

@Vector you probably know this but don't think it helps that getting into lessons is basically harder than buying taylor swift pre-sale tickets or whatever. friends have described having like 14 tabs open across 10 devices just to get into the queue for the better lesson times

agreed that crosby will have something weird about him, but guessing it will be something neurotic - like he's a lowkey crypto billionaire and has been for the past decade

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
used to be that everyone at least did basic swim lessons as a kid, but i think now with the cost of everything going up and time required, etc. there's a ton of people in their early 20s now that just never did, and it's only getting worse

@Vector you probably know this but don't think it helps that getting into lessons is basically harder than buying taylor swift pre-sale tickets or whatever. friends have described having like 14 tabs open across 10 devices just to get into the queue for the better lesson times

agreed that crosby will have something weird about him, but guessing it will be something neurotic - like he's a lowkey crypto billionaire and has been for the past decade

My kids had lessons this summer and start again next month for a few months. Yes, it fills up quickly but all it took was knowing when the times open and logging on right away. When my wife was done, there were still spots available.

Reactions: vancityluongo

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I took swimming lessons up until level 6. I havent swam in like 17 years since other than the times i got in the pool and realized i didn’t remember how to swim.

I feel like (re)learning to swim as an adult is so embarrassing so I keep putting jt off
i also forgot how to properly swim frontstroke and re-learning wasn't that hard except for getting used to the breathing patterns (i'm still probably bad but acceptable at it).

i think if you are able to tread water and breaststroke, i would consider that being able to swim.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

Is it really something you forget? Like the old axiom 'it's like riding a bike'.
You get on a bike; you start pedaling and balancing. You get in the water; you move your limbs around so you float.

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
I mean being at times the global face of the sport of his generation Crosby probably got plenty of reasons early on to remain as private as possible for his own and his extended family's sake. A person very close to me was a nationally well known athlete in a sport under bright spotlight who kept their privacy strictly kept, and quite honestly it has kept a lot of tabloid related stress out of multiple lives when i compare to what their contemporaries did in the age of social media.

Though if i were to guess Crosby has a collection of anime bodypillows.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

To make you feel better, I didn’t learn to snap my fingers until I was 19 and can only do the right hand. I also still don’t know how to whistle.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
i also forgot how to properly swim frontstroke and re-learning wasn't that hard except for getting used to the breathing patterns (i'm still probably bad but acceptable at it).

i think if you are able to tread water and breaststroke, i would consider that being able to swim.

Is it really something you forget? Like the old axiom 'it's like riding a bike'.
You get on a bike; you start pedaling and balancing. You get in the water; you move your limbs around so you float.

I think my base problem is that I forgot how to tread & how to breathe

Once I move, I can make my way from wall to wall just because the frontstroke is simple to do at a really bad, basic level

One of my goals is to re-learn. I get $6 lessons through UBC rn, I just gotta sign up lol

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, my definition of 'able to swim' is that you can go into the water without a lifejacket and not drown and are capable of dogpaddling/breaststroking from one place to another, not that you can do all the Olympic strokes at a competent level.

Like, if you wouldn't die if you fell out of a stationary boat, you can swim.

This is how I would always have imagined it also, not that I've ever gone more than a year without swimming.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Yeah, my definition of 'able to swim' is that you can go into the water without a lifejacket and not drown and are capable of dogpaddling/breaststroking from one place to another, not that you can do all the Olympic strokes at a competent level.

Like, if you wouldn't die if you fell out of a stationary boat, you can swim.

This is how I would always have imagined it also, not that I've ever gone more than a year without swimming.
I don’t think it’s analogous.

The difference is that the inability to balance well is mitigated by the fact you just need to get going and stopping is assisted.

The inability to float and breathe means you are fighting the water. Those parts are really what need to be re-learned.

I say this as someone who only learned how to bike 3 years ago at 23. And to skate at 24.

I think skating / swimming have more similarities for a learning curve

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad