Around the League Thread | Pre-Season Approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Crosby's obsession with 87 is so strange.
It's cost him a lot of money. Basically 19 year contract that averaged $8.7 mill from the time he was 21 to 40. Cap was $56.7 in year 1 (his 4th in the NHL) of this $8.7 mill AAV and should be in the $95 Mill range in the final year of his contract.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Not surprising Crosby re-signed. Guys that have played their whole career in 1 place usually want to finish there. This was the 99.9% outcome maybe a 0.1% he goes to Colorado to play with Mackinnon.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
It's cost him a lot of money. Basically 19 year contract that averaged $8.7 mill from the time he was 21 to 40. Cap was $56.7 in year 1 (his 4th in the NHL) of this $8.7 mill AAV and should be in the $95 Mill range in the final year of his contract.

eh, i'd say $8.7m has basically been a fair cap hit for crosby for his entire career. considering a hometown discount (he could have gotten $10m per on that 12 year contract, but probably not that much more considering $10m would've been in line with the ~15.5% of the cap mcdavid signed for years later)

sure, crosby could find someone to give him $11 x 4 or something right now, so money on the table in that sense, but it seems like he's just pretty set on playing three more years and calling it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
eh, i'd say $8.7m has basically been a fair cap hit for crosby for his entire career. considering a hometown discount (he could have gotten $10m per on that 12 year contract, but probably not that much more considering $10m would've been in line with the ~15.5% of the cap mcdavid signed for years later)

sure, crosby could find someone to give him $11 x 4 or something right now, so money on the table in that sense, but it seems like he's just pretty set on playing three more years and calling it.
I’d have to disagree. $8.7 mill on his rfa 5 year deal was still good value as the max would have been over $11 mill based on the cap. Sid had the back diving deal that paid him $3 mill per over the past 3 years which brought down the AAV. Given his concussions at the time he wanted to be protected against it. If the 8 year max term was in the original cba, can’t image he’d would have been at $8.7 over those whole 12 years.

But in the end it’s his money. 22 ywars in the nhl and he would have gotten in around $175 mill in career earnings.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

I suspect he'll recoup some of those losses when he retires and Pittsburgh all but gifts him a job in management somewhere the moment he asks for whatever price he wants.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I’d have to disagree. $8.7 mill on his rfa 5 year deal was still good value as the max would have been over $11 mill based on the cap. Sid had the back diving deal that paid him $3 mill per over the past 3 years which brought down the AAV. Given his concussions at the time he wanted to be protected against it. If the 8 year max term was in the original cba, can’t image he’d would have been at $8.7 over those whole 12 years.

But in the end it’s his money. 22 ywars in the nhl and he would have gotten in around $175 mill in career earnings.

generally don't disagree, but the bolded is the main thing - on a 12 year deal, taking him to age 37 when it looked like he might struggle to be healthy enough to be at that level even to age 27, all i'm saying is i don't think he left that much money on the table. relatively speaking of course - $15m is obviously not nothing.

this extension, sure, but it could be novelty as much as superstition given that he's probably getting a equity stake in the franchise once he retires. or... $175m in career earnings eh? divide that by two :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Nick Lang

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
generally don't disagree, but the bolded is the main thing - on a 12 year deal, taking him to age 37 when it looked like he might struggle to be healthy enough to be at that level even to age 27, all i'm saying is i don't think he left that much money on the table. relatively speaking of course - $15m is obviously not nothing.

this extension, sure, but it could be novelty as much as superstition given that he's probably getting a equity stake in the franchise once he retires. or... $175m in career earnings eh? divide that by two :sarcasm:
$8.7 mover 19 years is about $165 mill or so. I just guess $10 mill on the elc to max out bonuses. But yeah could have landed at $87 mill if divided by 2. lol…

He’s made his decision to retire a career penguin. So hopefully the r mods won’t allow for any trade proposals for Sid.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
So did any team reach out to "life long Seahawks fan but played in Boston so he's a life long Patriots fan" Milan Lucic?

Haven't heard anything from him since last season.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
What is with Washington's pre-season roster?! They have a football team including practice rosters worth of players...they have 7 goalies! SEVEN!

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
What's more strange is fans not getting that he likes it there. He has three cups. Who cares if he left money on the table. He has two Olympic golds and is an icon.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Nolan Bombgardener

Dec 23, 2005
What's more strange is fans not getting that he likes it there. He has three cups. Who cares if he left money on the table. He has two Olympic golds and is an icon.
Three cups, two Olympic gold medals (could be 3 before he retires), and only one World Championship gold medal. Obviously he wants more opportunities to win two more WC gold medals and secure the elusive triple-Triple Gold, which playing for a team like Colorado may not afford him the opportunity to do.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Listening to Dangle's podcast atm. They just pointed out another of Crosby's crazy superstitions.

Once his next contract finishes, he'll have played 19 years at a cap hit of 8.7, aka, 1987.
See this is absolutely bonkers to me. It makes zero sense why anyone would do that themselves, it only hurts them and their family. And for it to be completely voluntary - to listen to Steve Dangle without a gun to your head? We need those involuntary care beds to open up ASAP.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The timing of when those comments were made is just sheer perfection. :biglaugh:

Talk about aging like milk.

I've never seen someone so consistently able to be wrong about *everything* as Sid Seixeiro. It's actually a wonder to behold akin to Jim Benning as a GM where you couldn't be that consistently wrong about everything if you were trying to on purpose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad