Around the League Thread | The one where the NHL once again is the worst.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
just looking at the aftermath from yesterday and the division is wide open if we can get any traction.

Edmonton will remain the favourite amongst the analysts - they did a nice job yesterday of signing people to solid value contracts.

But I think we're next after them. Calgary, Anaheim and San Jose are a ways from competing; I think LA and Vegas got a bit worse - LA with some terrible additions in free agency, and I think Vegas has made some missteps over the last few months; I think the Kraken panicked and overpaid, and I don't see them being significantly better.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Well that was a fairly short time out in the corner. You know, ethically, morally and legally speaking.

I'm on board with forgiving people, but there's still a place for real punishment for real crimes. This is both embarrassing and a harmful.

i think it's enough time.

it's been nearly three years and that is a long time to be denied the ability to pursue their careers and livelihoods. they didn't commit a crime and i think their acts were based on incompetence and ignorance not malice and look worse today because of the massive social changes since 2010. they should be judged according to the times when it happened.

i also think if bettman had suspended them for two and a half years when the story came out most people would have said that was fair punishment when it expired. it's partly the fact that he has to positively reinstate them that is triggering people.

Reactions: MS

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Edmonton will remain the favourite amongst the analysts - they did a nice job yesterday of signing people to solid value contracts.

But I think we're next after them. Calgary, Anaheim and San Jose are a ways from competing; I think LA and Vegas got a bit worse - LA with some terrible additions in free agency, and I think Vegas has made some missteps over the last few months; I think the Kraken panicked and overpaid, and I don't see them being significantly better.
you may be right on the oilers. but they went bargain hunting and that is always a gamble.

vegas sure lost a lot of veterans. they look so bleak it's hard to believe they are finished making moves.

kraken and utah will be interesting but i agree it looks more sideways than forward. one or both could emerge or they could stall out.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
you may be right on the oilers. but they went bargain hunting and that is always a gamble.

vegas sure lost a lot of veterans. they look so bleak it's hard to believe they are finished making moves.

kraken and utah will be interesting but i agree it looks more sideways than forward. one or both could emerge or they could stall out.

I think Utah is going to benefit immediately from Sergachev and Marino being on their blueline, even if long term I think they lose the Sergachev trade.

I think the Oilers did a nice job getting discount values for players to fill their lineup - and they went a long ways towards showing they can play championship level defense this last spring. But that remains their big question mark. Ekholm needs to be ageless, Bouchard needs to continue growing, and the rest of their defense just needs to f*** up as little as possible.

I think Ceci is going to be moved in a cap dump deal pretty shortly.

Reactions: ameselare

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I think Utah is going to benefit immediately from Sergachev and Marino being on their blueline, even if long term I think they lose the Sergachev trade.

I think the Oilers did a nice job getting discount values for players to fill their lineup - and they went a long ways towards showing they can play championship level defense this last spring. But that remains their big question mark. Ekholm needs to be ageless, Bouchard needs to continue growing, and the rest of their defense just needs to f*** up as little as possible.

without ceci i think nurse could bounce back somewhat and help ekholm. they are not far off. arvidsson or skinner having huge even strength seasons or bouchard emerging as a true top pair dman rather than an offence only mcdrai helper would make them dominant.

otoh, the canucks potentially have the correct kryptonite to deal with them. a four line team with big physical dmen exposes their lack of depth and counters their ability to exploit matchups.

i think nashville is the other team to beat in the west and a favourite for the cup if stamkos and marchessault find their feet.

Reactions: ameselare

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
without ceci i think nurse could bounce back somewhat and help ekholm. they are not far off. arvidsson or skinner having huge even strength seasons or bouchard emerging as a true top pair dman rather than an offence only mcdrai helper would make them dominant.

otoh, the canucks potentially have the correct kryptonite to deal with them. a four line team with big physical dmen exposes their lack of depth and counters their ability to exploit matchups.

i think nashville is the other team to beat in the west and a favourite for the cup if stamkos and marchessault find their feet.

Nashville is a curiosity to me. It's going to be one or the other from where I sit - either their old boys keep the magic alive for a couple of seasons and they are a legitimate contender, or they show their age almost immediately and the wheels fall off and they fall flat.

It'll be fascinating to watch. I suspect, for at least a season, it'll be the former.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I agree. I think SLC is a great place. The city and state are committed to the endeavor which will really help things.

the city and the ownership group already backed out of the new building. they're going to play at a renovated delta center and ryan smith is arguing with the city as to whether his plans for an entertainment district can go forward on that site

the city is backing an mlb bid/building now for it's plans

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i think it's enough time.

it's been nearly three years and that is a long time to be denied the ability to pursue their careers and livelihoods. they didn't commit a crime and i think their acts were based on incompetence and ignorance not malice and look worse today because of the massive social changes since 2010. they should be judged according to the times when it happened.

i also think if bettman had suspended them for two and a half years when the story came out most people would have said that was fair punishment when it expired. it's partly the fact that he has to positively reinstate them that is triggering people.

Generally agree with this, particularly the bolded.

It's that they went soft on quietly 'hiding' the suspension in the first place that makes this feel weak, but in reality they've all lost their jobs and been suspended for the better part of three years. It should have just been announced as a suspension at the time and I think the reaction would be much less negative now.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
A few years ago the Pacific Division looked very promising. Kings f***ed up their rebuild. Krakken hasn't taken a step forward. Flames had to trade Tkachuk. Knights capped out.
The West has really taken a hit. Dallas has young good pieces but their depth has aged out. Avs lost Landy and Nichushkin. Winnipeg has lost depth.

Reactions: canucksfan

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
the city and the ownership group already backed out of the new building. they're going to play at a renovated delta center and ryan smith is arguing with the city as to whether his plans for an entertainment district can go forward on that site

the city is backing an mlb bid/building now for it's plans
I had thought since SLC is going for the Winter Olympics in like 2034 games. Thus, would need to build a new indoor arena for it. Thought it was just a matter of timing of when they begin construction on it. Earlier now since the NHL team has arrived.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I had thought since SLC is going for the Winter Olympics in like 2034 games. Thus, would need to build a new indoor arena for it. Thought it was just a matter of timing of when they begin construction on it. Earlier now since the NHL team has arrived.

they have the maverick center (13k seats) and whatever the renovated delta center can seat (17k? maybe?). they don't really need a new building for the olympics

the city does want an "entertainment district" but ryan smith owns land south of the city that he wants to develop while the city wants it downtown. ryan smith doesn't want to pay the costs of developing in an urban area so the city is talking to ownership groups trying to bring an mlb team to slc to go ahead with it's plans instead

the most likely outcome for utah hc is they just play in the delta center for the forseeable future. there's no plans to replace it for basketball so if they reno it for hockey it'll be a long term plan, not a stop gap. long long term the team will probably move out to the suburbs where ryan smith planned to build originally

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Sens just paid to dump Joseph to the Blues... I officially have no idea what Staios is doing. At least Dorion tried swinging for the fences?
Move money for shane, too bad we don't have room for Joseph's cap hit. Or pinto for that matter, but we could definitely fit McGroarty!

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Unless he's got some big trades coming he's doing a lot of stupid things right now since there's nobody left in UFA worth throwing high $ at.
he seems to be clearing the room of guys he does not want on the team. staios is a player's player and was that very rarest of entities, a journeyman captain. i imagine he has has strong views on character and has taken an inventory of team personalities and concluded some need to leave asap for the good of the collective.

then again that is what i though the wolman trade with yzerman was until that story came back that the sharks were expecting to be asked to pay something and were prepared to take him off waivers for nothing.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sens just paid to dump Joseph to the Blues... I officially have no idea what Staios is doing. At least Dorion tried swinging for the fences?
With the max term deals they gave their kids out of elc they are entering the mid point. Chabot going into year 5 for example. Each major guy is a another year in back.

Blew the past 2 seasons so now they have to compete. Kind of why they needed a Dman back for JC deal vs prospects or picks like in DCat trade.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
This will be very telling, considering Friedge has implied multiple times that the "players" (McDavid) have vouched for Ceci in the past when they were looking to trade him, and appreciated Holland listening to them.
Not sure why they didn't just keep Skinner but I could understand the Zucker signing. It's a one year deal for a vet who provides leadership. Could flip him at the deadline. Buffalo has lots of cap room so why not.
Skinner was a net negative to the team. Made zero effort defensively. He's either top 6 or press box and they have a plethora of young forwards that will/should be pushing to play top 6 minutes. Ruff is coming in so I assume he was like, I'm not working with this guy, get rid of him please.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Seems like another really late June cup finals. Regular season ends for Canucks in April 16. So PO probably like April 20? So a 7 game series goes to May 4 if every other day. At some point going to get an extra day here and there.

Round 2 would likely finish around May 20 or so. Round 3 to like June 3 or so. Give another 5/6 day break and start finals like June 8/9? Probably go to June 22 or something. Crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad