Around the League Thread | LUUUUUUU!!!!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Someone gave Boeser a 3rd place all-star team vote, and JT Miller a 2nd place vote...for LW :laugh:

GRHqbS6XoAAKqL9

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Funny watching Portugal/Czech in the euros and they gave a yellow card for embellishment and in real time I thought the defender was getting it but the ref was right.

Reactions: Lindgren

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Still have no clue what Nashville and Washington are doing. They seem to be cementing themselves in a muddy middle without any high end talent coming through.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Still have no clue what Nashville and Washington are doing. They seem to be cementing themselves in a muddy middle without any high end talent coming through.

Washington's existence is hung by a single thread: get Ovechkin's fat ass to pass Gretzky's career goal record. The moment Ovechkin gets there (or gives up, whichever comes first) that team will collapse into a pile of ashes.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I get Wash motives more than Nash. Wash wants Ovy to get as close to Wayne’s record as possible as he is 41 away from tying Wayne. but he’s clearly beginning to slow down. They really don’t want it to come down to the final 2 weeks of his final year.

At worst if they are out of a WC spot they can retain and flip Mang for a 3rd or better.

Nash I don’t get. You almost never see a team opt to keep the older goalie.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
except for frontline scoring i think nashville is a better team than they get credit for. i still say it was nashville not the oilers who beat us. it just took a few more games for it to take effect.

Reactions: andora

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sarros is 29, so adding another 8 on top of his 1 year left takes him to age 38. Price for example turns 37 this year and hasn’t played in 2 seasons….

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I get Wash motives more than Nash. Wash wants Ovy to get as close to Wayne’s record as possible as he is 41 away from tying Wayne. but he’s clearly beginning to slow down. They really don’t want it to come down to the final 2 weeks of his final year.

At worst if they are out of a WC spot they can retain and flip Mang for a 3rd or better.

Nash I don’t get. You almost never see a team opt to keep the older goalie.

My guess is that they are going in with this core u til they age out, but Askarov isn't ready yet to take over. Askarov is 22 while Demko was 24 when Markstrom left. Would of had to sign or trade for a starter or throw Askarov in the deep end. I think they were okay with this contract because they didn't want to downgrade in net while this core is still competitive, and they will probably be rebuilding during the second half of the contract.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
My guess is that they are going in with this core u til they age out, but Askarov isn't ready yet to take over. Askarov is 22 while Demko was 24 when Markstrom left. Would of had to sign or trade for a starter or throw Askarov in the deep end. I think they were okay with this contract because they didn't want to downgrade in net while this core is still competitive, and they will probably be rebuilding during the second half of the contract.
Askarov is 22 with a June birthday, so he doesn't fall into that odd July to Mid Sept where if he doesn't get into enough NHL games in year 1 as a pro his UFA would be delayed until 2030. He's due to be UFA in 2029, which is 5 years from now.

But, is Nash going to compete in these next 2 or so years? I'd say no. Jossi is elite, and Forsberg is good, but not much else.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
The fact that Utah doesn't even seem to be bothering to give itself a name is one more in a long line of basically uninterrupted events in the team's timeline where you think, "No other league would ever let this happen to their brand." The whole situation has slid so far from normalcy over the years that it's just another shrug from everyone.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The fact that Utah doesn't even seem to be bothering to give itself a name is one more in a long line of basically uninterrupted events in the team's timeline where you think, "No other league would ever let this happen to their brand." The whole situation has slid so far from normalcy over the years that it's just another shrug from everyone.
I'd rather they figure it out so that they don't end up like so many clubs swapping out colors and changing logos like the Canucks, Kings, Ducks, etc.

I'm sure they have their name already, but in the process of getting trademarks and stuff.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I'd rather they figure it out so that they don't end up like so many clubs swapping out colors and changing logos like the Canucks, Kings, Ducks, etc.

I'm sure they have their name already, but in the process of getting trademarks and stuff.
They set up a fan-voted naming contest where one of the choices was simply Hockey Club, then two weeks later announced the team with play its first season without a name or any branding, then finally announced that the team would be known as the Utah Hockey Club but only on a temporary basis. And incidentally they already filed for trademarks on all possible choices of name. None of this seems haphazard to you?

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
They set up a fan-voted naming contest where one of the choices was simply Hockey Club, then two weeks later announced the team with play its first season without a name or any branding, then finally announced that the team would be known as the Utah Hockey Club but only on a temporary basis. And incidentally they already filed for trademarks on all possible choices of name. None of this seems haphazard to you?
It’s pretty embarrassing.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
it makes sense for marketing. you sell two sets of jerseys and generate buzz for season two with a name announcement.

Reactions: mossey3535

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Let's face it....any time you're offering big money and a contract length to a guy pushing 30, it's a big risk.

For every guy like Joe Pavelski who keeps on truckin' until he's 39, there's a bunch of others where there performance falls off a cliff on the wrong side of 30. Certainly the Canucks already have a lot o experience with the latter.

It seems that d-men often age better than forwards or some reason. Perhaps as the years go by they get more savvy and learn how to do more with less. So Myers will probably be OK for three more season; but Zadorov probably not.

The Canucks already have one 30-year old guy signed to a long-term extension in Miller. And it looks like the risk will pay off. But how many more can they realistically afford? That's why I'd steer clear of Guentzel.

I'd like to see the Canucks get 'younger', 'faster' and above all 'cheaper'.

ProviesGhost

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
Let's face it....any time you're offering big money and a contract length to a guy pushing 30, it's a big risk.

For every guy like Joe Pavelski who keeps on truckin' until he's 39, there's a bunch of others where there performance falls off a cliff on the wrong side of 30. Certainly the Canucks already have a lot o experience with the latter.

It seems that d-men often age better than forwards or some reason. Perhaps as the years go by they get more savvy and learn how to do more with less. So Myers will probably be OK for three more season; but Zadorov probably not.

The Canucks already have one 30-year old guy signed to a long-term extension in Miller. And it looks like the risk will pay off. But how many more can they realistically afford? That's why I'd steer clear of Guentzel.

if it isn’t Guentzel plan B will be even older I bet….

Reactions: David71

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
What part of that is haphazard exactly?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That typically isn't done via free agency. That's a draft and develop... Have to do both, but sadly, the prospects that are NHL ready are limited for the organization.

Have to use both free agency and your own guys coming up.

For Guentzal, he should make sure that if he passes up a max term deal of 8 years from CAR that he's really going to get almost that amount over a 7 year term on the open market. Klingberg didn't and lost tens of millions because of that.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I've been pushing for a Malenstyn trade for months now and I'm disappointed we couldn't get him for a 2nd. I'd much rather have him than Joshua at his cap hit and then re-sign him long term probably for less than $3 million. He'll break out with the Sabres. 20 goals next season.

Reactions: mossey3535

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad