Around the League Thread | LUUUUUUU!!!!

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Still an incredibly smart defenseman but the legs were not moving against Edmonton. Like Pavelski, these guys are longer capable of playing high intensity hockey.

Dallas is in a good spot. Many of their older guys in Duchene, Smith, Dadanov, Benn and Faksa are either off the books this season or after next year. Seguin will be their only anchor.
what are the odds he is willing to sign a cheap one year contract with us? Depth is never a bad thing.

Darwin101

Mar 9, 2014
Like I've said before here :

I cheered for that team in 2006. I thought it was nice given how dire the franchise looked a few years before, and at that point I actually bought into the 'oh, it would be nice to see a Canadian team win the Cup' thing. I genuinely wanted them to do well. Most of our fanbase was the same.

Then 2011 happened. And the absolute vindictive hate that fanbase and media had for our team was beyond belief. It was like Celtic-Rangers kind of stuff, out of nowhere. Their media like Spector were openly campaigning against us. Fans were celebrating when we lost. It was nuts. And after that I said that hell would freeze over before I ever gave an iota of support to that shitty city and shitty fanbase ever again.

On top of that, the Oiler fans on this board this year are a trainwreck. One guy has made like 10000 posts denigrating the Canucks. Hasn't exactly convinced me that anything has changed. Nor has that dipstick Gazdik.

And, I mean, sports are allowed to be tribal. That's, like, the whole deal in European soccer.
That's fair to an extent, it's just that everything you're saying is so clearly untrue it's miles below your usual takes. The fanbase is crazy. The building is loud. McDavid is actually quite the leader and doesn't complain more than most superstars. The Team isn't going anywhere. The city isn't shitty, at least in the summer (that one is up for debate ;-)). And most Canadian fans have a trollish side and I doubt Edmonton is any different than other cities. I also don't think it's fair to let one or two media cranks dictate your opinions so wildly long term.

Reactions: wetcoast

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Still an incredibly smart defenseman but the legs were not moving against Edmonton. Like Pavelski, these guys are longer capable of playing high intensity hockey.

Dallas is in a good spot. Many of their older guys in Duchene, Smith, Dadanov, Benn and Faksa are either off the books this season or after next year. Seguin will be their only anchor.
Looking back, you can see why Minny had to buy them out. They both still had another year on their contract with Minny. Suter, might still play. Parise is retiring. Minny knew neither was landing on LTIR as they both wanted to play, even Parise who did have some back issues earlier, kept chugging along.

They didn't tap out like Hossa, Zetterburg, Weber and others in their back diving years.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Some nice asset management from the Sharks, there. Grier doing some solid work.
Similar to the price AZ paid to move up in 2019 with PHI so that they could take Soderstrom. A 2nd in the mid 40's. Wonder who SJ is targeting....

Damn I saw the Sabres first pick and I thought it was the Necas trade.
That's the rumour is that it's a first to get Necas. Dropping down 3 spots to add 42 helps out if that is ultimately what Buffalo ends up doing. But, buffalo has a lot of smaller skilled prospects and though Necas has size, he doesn't use it. More of pure skill player.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That's fair to an extent, it's just that everything you're saying is so clearly untrue it's miles below your usual takes. The fanbase is crazy. The building is loud. McDavid is actually quite the leader and doesn't complain more than most superstars. The Team isn't going anywhere. The city isn't shitty, at least in the summer (that one is up for debate ;-)). And most Canadian fans have a trollish side and I doubt Edmonton is any different than other cities. I also don't think it's fair to let one or two media cranks dictate your opinions so wildly long term.

Edmonton is the most toxic fanbase in the NHL. Period. And I know other teams have elements but they're just ... a special breed.

McDavid is a massive baby. His comments after the opening game of the season where frankly comical.

And, I mean, you probably need to apply some critical thinking to be able to differentiate between the posts where I'm talking about Edmonton constructively and the ones where I'm taking a poke at a team and fanbase I just plain don't like.

That building was a morgue at the end of the season and the start of the playoffs. It did ramp up considerably as the playoffs went along.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Now, bear with me one second....can you imagine....

jim-benning.jpg
I'd rather him sign with the Leafs as they're a lot more away from contending. Jethro could always get lucky in Edmonton (Though I wouldn't count on it)

I think on top of being dumb as a post, Dimbo also has this fascinating tendency to think that he's 100 steps ahead of and way smarter than everyone. If you look at much of the stupid crap he did, a lot of it screamed self-unawareness.

He was an imbecile who thinks he's playing 4D chess like Carlsen and Fischer, while in reality couldn't even draw a full circle without somehow setting his house on fire.

smrt-homer.gif

And Aquaman led him stay for almost 8 years.
Well Frankie is known as Fredo for nothing.

Reactions: valkynax

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

And again, I ask you: if you're so eager to be the voice of reason, have you ever defended the Orcas when Oiler fans made insulting comments about either the team or our players, and what did you do if anything at all when Seravelli talked shit about Vancouver as a city which is "so clearly untrue"?

hlrsr

Sep 16, 2006
That building was a morgue at the end of the season and the start of the playoffs. It did ramp up considerably as the playoffs went along.

They are a veteran playoff team now with Cup expectations. We'll see the same thing here once we get used to being in the playoffs IMO.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Yzerman starting to look more and more like Holland - without an insane amateur scouting staff to support them, they start to look more & more clueless. To be fair to him, the scouting has definitely hurt them, as being bad this long without any sort of franchise talent to show for it sucks (Seider and Raymond are top line players, but not franchise level). Once Jim Nill left, their scouting department went to shit (and subsequently Dallas' became insane - funny how that works).

None of that excuses the bevy of absurd contracts for mid-tier players he's handed out. Right now the guy looks like Jim Benning with better marketing, especially after this Walman deal. If I'm an agent and my player is looking for maximum cash, Yzerman would be the first guy I'd call.

Also still don't understand all these pick for pick trades before the draft. Seems like a high price to pay when you don't even know if your guy is going to be on the board.

Reactions: BimJenning

Darwin101

Mar 9, 2014
Edmonton is the most toxic fanbase in the NHL. Period. And I know other teams have elements but they're just ... a special breed.

McDavid is a massive baby. His comments after the opening game of the season where frankly comical.

And, I mean, you probably need to apply some critical thinking to be able to differentiate between the posts where I'm talking about Edmonton constructively and the ones where I'm taking a poke at a team and fanbase I just plain don't like.

"Edmonton is the most toxic fanbase in the NHL. Period"

"McDavid is a massive baby"

"That building was a morgue at the end of the season"

Thank you for hammering home my point with another series of massive hyperboles. I get your point about differentiating takes, having said that, I guess I'm left somewhat questioning your critical thinking if those are the conclusions you're drawing about Edmonton fans. Having lived in both cities and been immersed in both fanbases, I don't really understand where you're getting your opinions from, beyond the trauma inflicted upon your psyche in 2011 when a bunch of trolls and a couple media cranks weren't very nice.

Anyways, not much else to say I suppose. Big fan of your posts still.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Thank you for hammering home my point with another series of massive hyperboles. I get your point about differentiating takes, having said that, I guess I'm left somewhat questioning your critical thinking if those are the conclusions you're drawing about Edmonton fans. Having lived in both cities and been immersed in both fanbases, I don't really understand where you're getting your opinions from, beyond the trauma inflicted upon your psyche in 2011 when a bunch of trolls and a couple media cranks weren't very nice.

On the McDavid thing.

We blew them out in the opening game of the season. He then proceeded to whine like a baby that we played our 1PP at 5-1 and (bizarrely) that we took our sick goalie out of the game.

This is the same guy who the previous season made the Blackhawks stand around in a blowout so they could embarrass them by putting in their EBUG and then celebrated like they won the Cup. And then he's complaining because ... he thought we were trying for a shared shutout?

Likewise he's made a career of piling up PP points in blowouts and then whines when someone else does it. And hell yeah you play your PP1 at 5-1 against the Oilers. Those guys could score 5 PP goals if a Canuck takes a major penalty.

That was probably the most embarrassing display of whinging I've seen from an NHL player. So yes, massive baby.

He's also the greatest hockey player ever to walk the face of the earth who was able to just decide to record 100 assists this year when he couldn't shoot the puck properly. But what an unlikeable human being.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

This is one of the most condescending snarky passive aggressive shit post I've read in quite some time.

Talk down on others for making negative comments about Edmonton like you're some crusader of justice, while ignoring dipshits like Seravelli or the Oilers fans making equally hyperbolized comments about Vancouver that are clearly false.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
benning going to edmonton and then making a couple of riverboat gambler moves that lead to immediately winning the cup there would be perhaps the funniest thing ever to happen to this board. almost worth it for all the heads exploding.

Paris Hilton building a rocket in her basement and then flying it to the moon would be funny, too, and has about the same chance of happening.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

You could change some words around here and this reads like a @MarkusNaslund19 post

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I think fans are the same everywhere. There's a spectrum within each group, each with a likely similar share or percentage of obsessive lunatics.

Of course fan reaction will be shaped by experiences, such as how the team plays relative to expectations, dealing with losing, and roster frustrations. I think the Canucks fanbase got a bit toxic after 2012 or so. I wasn't much of a happy camper myself.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad