Around the League Thread | LUUUUUUU!!!!

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I wonder if they'll bring back Connor Brown, and if so, at what type of contract. LOL

It'll be interesting to see what both Brown and Janmark get. Both had pretty abysmal regular seasons before having a really strong playoff run - but that playoff run was highlighted by an almost guranteed-to-be-unsustainable PK run that they were both key parts of.

They both seems like likely candidates to be overpaid based on their playoff. But at about $1M or less, I think they'd be decent bargains.

Reactions: supercanuck

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Not a knock against the players inducted yesterday, but kind of is. How is Shea Weber a first-ballot HOFer while Alexander Mogilny remains twisting in the wind after all of these years?

And also, Johnston quite correctly skewers Colin Campbell's induction. If there was ever a "because he's buddies with the committee / Bettman" induction, this is it.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

I think the shine would come off Woodcroft in an awful hurry in Columbus. He seems like a nice enough guy, but coaching Edmonton is largely "let McDavid and Draisaitl do their thing". Knoblauch brought a decent amount of psychology to the gig, I have to admit, but coaching a franchise in the state that Columbus is in currently will be a much different and more difficult task.

Reactions: Vector

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
"Awww, that’s a real shame.

Hopefully that wonderful Edmonton fanbase can look back fondly on this near miss when their franchise moves to Houston in 5 years."

I can't reply to your post directly since the thread is closed, so I am just going to do something a little weird and post it here.

I just want to say I am a huge fan of your sports takes and you almost always are the voice of reason. But your take on Edmonton is such boring childish tribalism. Whether it be insulting McDavid as the whiniest player in the league, or commenting that the building is dead and the fanbase is super quiet, or joking that they' be leaving in a few years. Whatever silly hyperbole it is, it's quiet a contrast to your usual voice of reason. As a born and bred Canucks fan who lives in Edmonton and has experienced what a crazy fanbase the Oilers have, it's kind of sad that someone so smart comes across so ill-informed just because they can't extract the us vs them homerism from their childhood.

Like I've said before here :

I cheered for that team in 2006. I thought it was nice given how dire the franchise looked a few years before, and at that point I actually bought into the 'oh, it would be nice to see a Canadian team win the Cup' thing. I genuinely wanted them to do well. Most of our fanbase was the same.

Then 2011 happened. And the absolute vindictive hate that fanbase and media had for our team was beyond belief. It was like Celtic-Rangers kind of stuff, out of nowhere. Their media like Spector were openly campaigning against us. Fans were celebrating when we lost. It was nuts. And after that I said that hell would freeze over before I ever gave an iota of support to that shitty city and shitty fanbase ever again.

On top of that, the Oiler fans on this board this year are a trainwreck. One guy has made like 10000 posts denigrating the Canucks. Hasn't exactly convinced me that anything has changed. Nor has that dipstick Gazdik.

And, I mean, sports are allowed to be tribal. That's, like, the whole deal in European soccer.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Wonder how many vets get placed on waivers in the hopes they get claimed. 32 thoughts talking Pageau as a buyout. He has half the league he can't be traded to, so that's likely the CAD teams and most western and bad teams in the US.

If I was running a weaker club like Ana/Chi/SJ and the like, I'd probably pick him up on waivers vs having to hand out cash/term on a Killorn who was 33 turning 34 when he signed last season for $25 mill over 4 years. 2 years of Pageau is only $5 mill AAV over 2 years and only like $8 mill or so in real money. Some to have on the PK.

Reactions: BimJenning

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
And, I mean, sports are allowed to be tribal. That's, like, the whole deal in European soccer.
Anyone remember the Heysel disaster back in the mid 80's where Liverpool 'fans' ran amok resulting in the deaths of a few dozen Juventus fans? I was travelling in Italy a few months later and spotted a very large piece of graffiti in Rome saying "Grazzi Liverpool", undoubtedly put there by AS Roma fans. I found it funny then but my feelings about sports tribalism or any kind of tribalism have shifted due to current circumstances and I now find it very sad.

• Wow
Reactions: Nick Lang

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Wonder how many vets get placed on waivers in the hopes they get claimed. 32 thoughts talking Pageau as a buyout. He has half the league he can't be traded to, so that's likely the CAD teams and most western and bad teams in the US.

If I was running a weaker club like Ana/Chi/SJ and the like, I'd probably pick him up on waivers vs having to hand out cash/term on a Killorn who was 33 turning 34 when he signed last season for $25 mill over 4 years. 2 years of Pageau is only $5 mill AAV over 2 years and only like $8 mill or so in real money. Some to have on the PK.

Most importantly for Pageau is the 2 more years that expires with Bedard contract, and at least a year ahead of Smith/Celebrini etc. If you're CHI/SJS you absolutely have to consider it to just have a rock solid pro 3C to give the draconian defensive assignments.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Most importantly for Pageau is the 2 more years that expires with Bedard contract, and at least a year ahead of Smith/Celebrini etc. If you're CHI/SJS you absolutely have to consider it to just have a rock solid pro 3C to give the draconian defensive assignments.
I agree. I mean it’s way better than giving a 33 turning 34 killorn $24 mill til he turns 37. I mean Pageau turns 32 in Nov and ends the deal at close to the age Killorn began his with the ducks.

Waivers is as way to circumvent the mntc.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
1719421645661-png.887522

GRBASq6b0AEee0E

Last edited:
Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad