Around the League Thread | LUUUUUUU!!!!

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Crazy idea : Oilers buy out Nurse and Campbell to make cap space.
Just checked cap friendly, buying out Nurse actually save them 1.2m cap space next season, and a cap hit of less than 1m the following season, but then there are 4 seasons of 8.8m, 9.6m, 9.6m and 9.6m cap hit starting in 2026-27. If they are planning to go all in next 2 seasons, might not be a bad idea.

They have to find a way to dump Campbell though.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Better off attaching multiple 1sts to dump nurse if it’s possible, retain a bit if needed. Campbell buyout a no brainer
Not like those 1st round picks will be high picks. Two elite forwards & Ekblad holding the fort on the blueline means they likely make the playoffs even with a goalie like Skinner (eg., pick won't be a lottery pick).

I know we're not supposed to body shame but old man Tkachuk really is a tub if goo.
He really earned that 'nick' - Tkachunk.:laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: mathonwy

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Think most of the former Canucks have held up well. Those that were drafted in around Tkachuk’s time in the early 90’s. Keith is 52. Ohlund who is 48 now looked good when he went into the ring of honour. Lu a bit heavier now.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Doubt it. I think next season is going to be like their last dance. Like I said, even at a discount he is going to cost them 14M. McD at a discount is like 16M? That’s 30M right there. Bouchard after that playoff is going to cost 10 and he’s not going to take anything lower than Nurse. That’s 50M right there. You think they don’t realize that they can’t be competitive with 4 players taking up 50M?

Edmonton is probably f***ed. If Drai doesn’t extend they have to trade him but Edmonton being Edmonton probably won’t and once Drai walks then McD is gone for sure and they probably won’t trade him either.
I would bet a lot of money McDavid is retiring an Oiler. We can dream of this scenario of him finally being out of the division but he’s an Oiler for life and would be extremely out of character for him to ever leave.

Draisaitl I could see on a different team, how it happens remains to be seen.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Just checked cap friendly, buying out Nurse actually save them 1.2m cap space next season, and a cap hit of less than 1m the following season, but then there are 4 seasons of 8.8m, 9.6m, 9.6m and 9.6m cap hit starting in 2026-27. If they are planning to go all in next 2 seasons, might not be a bad idea.

They have to find a way to dump Campbell though.
which team needs a goalie...??? that can take his 5mill dollar capspace. utah?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I know we're not supposed to body shame but old man Tkachuk really is a tub if goo.

Must've taken a bunch of Lizzo.
Screenshot_2024-05-27_at_10.36.01.png

Reactions: ddawg1950 and dez

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I would bet a lot of money McDavid is retiring an Oiler. We can dream of this scenario of him finally being out of the division but he’s an Oiler for life and would be extremely out of character for him to ever leave.

Draisaitl I could see on a different team, how it happens remains to be seen.
I think he signed that extension to cover 1 year of UFA for a reason. “I am giving you guys 1 year of my UFA and then bye”

Also the oilers wasting this prime by creating this flaw ass team doesn’t help. If they did a good job building a good team and giving him more opportunity to compete then yeah, but after this many year of this shit, good luck expecting him to be Oiler for life.

Last edited:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Crazy idea : Oilers buy out Nurse and Campbell to make cap space.

If Edmonton wanted to get rid of Nurse they would have dangled him in front of Benning like a set of keys in front of a baby.
Better off attaching multiple 1sts to dump nurse if it’s possible, retain a bit if needed. Campbell buyout a no brainer

Is there a list of other loser GMs in the NHL that still have jobs? Nurse strikes me as the classic "definitely bad but certain GMs think he's good because of his draft pedigree" thing.

• Haha

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
This isn't the way the game is typically called. I don't know what to tell you.

Watch any game and you will see examples of a guy falling and someone else falling over him. I have never seen something like this called a penalty in 30 years of watching hundreds of games a year.
They called it because it was in the play and directly creating a scoring chance.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

I remember coming out of the 05 lockout, there were reports of Tkachuk coming into camp ridiculously out of shape. And the guys on the cfox Jeff O'Neill show calling the Blues arena and doing the classic "is your refrigerator running?" Prank but then asking if Keith ate it.

(Or it might have been all the phones. But it was him eating some kind of appliance.)

Reactions: ddawg1950

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Today is Day 1 of Fanatics being the NHL’s jersey provider for the next decade. Moron parade has a puff piece out about how this is going to be a seamless transition and there’s “4 different price points”. Why do I get the feeling Authentic jerseys are about to get jacked up way beyond their already crazy levels?

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Today is Day 1 of Fanatics being the NHL’s jersey provider for the next decade. Moron parade has a puff piece out about how this is going to be a seamless transition and there’s “4 different price points”. Why do I get the feeling Authentic jerseys are about to get jacked up way beyond their already crazy levels?

The cheapest jerseys will be temu quality.

I miss CCM jerseys. Those things were durable.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The cheapest jerseys will be temu quality.

I miss CCM jerseys. Those things were durable.

Yup. CCM jerseys, IMO, remain the best they’ve had.

Reebok was reasonably solid, too - their pro replicas were still pretty decent quality.

Once the move to Adidas came, the Fanatics replicas were God awful. The Adidas Authentic jerseys were fine, but they cost a ton.

Can’t imagine this is going to be better with Fanatics at the wheel.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Can't wait to buy my screenprinted cheesecloth fanatics jersey, it's actually better because I'm a serious athlete and it will be light as air.

• Haha

Darwin101

Mar 9, 2014
Joshua missed a pile of games. Now do PPG or regular season + playoffs combined.

Toffoli also played a huge chunk of games (and his most productive games) with Jack Hughes.
"Awww, that’s a real shame.

Hopefully that wonderful Edmonton fanbase can look back fondly on this near miss when their franchise moves to Houston in 5 years."

I can't reply to your post directly since the thread is closed, so I am just going to do something a little weird and post it here.

I just want to say I am a huge fan of your sports takes and you almost always are the voice of reason. But your take on Edmonton is such boring childish tribalism. Whether it be insulting McDavid as the whiniest player in the league, or commenting that the building is dead and the fanbase is super quiet, or joking that they' be leaving in a few years. Whatever silly hyperbole it is, it's quiet a contrast to your usual voice of reason. As a born and bred Canucks fan who lives in Edmonton and has experienced what a crazy fanbase the Oilers have, it's kind of sad that someone so smart comes across so ill-informed just because they can't extract the us vs them homerism from their childhood.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
which team needs a goalie...??? that can take his 5mill dollar capspace. utah?
I don't think any team "need" a $5m goalie like Campbell, if you trade him it is essentially a cap dump and the Oilers will have to attach some assets. I guess you can look at the typical dumping grounds, like Campbell + assets to SJ for Blackwood (as an example); or Campbell + assets to Chi for nothing.

Buying out Nurse and dumping Campbell gives them 14.25m and 13.5m cap space the next 2 seasons, that is a lot of depth and talent they can add during McDavid's current contract. I think they'll have to do it and go all-in next 2 seasons. Sure that means no cap space for either Draisatl or Bouchard after their current deal, but holding on to those two will make it impossible to improve the team for next season.

Reactions: David71

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I don't think any team "need" a $5m goalie like Campbell, if you trade him it is essentially a cap dump and the Oilers will have to attach some assets. I guess you can look at the typical dumping grounds, like Campbell + assets to SJ for Blackwood (as an example); or Campbell + assets to Chi for nothing.

Buying out Nurse and dumping Campbell gives them 14.25m and 13.5m cap space the next 2 seasons, that is a lot of depth and talent they can add during McDavid's current contract. I think they'll have to do it and go all-in next 2 seasons. Sure that means no cap space for either Draisatl or Bouchard after their current deal, but holding on to those two will make it impossible to improve the team for next season.
*AND* it's not like he's on an expiring contract. That $5 million for the next *THREE* seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad