Around The League Thread | Let the Games Begin

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Wildest part is that he threw the hip check and then immediately went at him rather than the fight being Krebs reacting to the hit.

Yeah, Dahlin had to get something off his chest

he clearly felt krebs wasnt playing hard or practicing hard to throw that type of hit, then fight him after

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Had the Oilers bought Nurse out this summer it would have cost them $18.4 MM...which is actually only $6.4 MM more than he is being paid this year. They would have given themselves $10 mil in cap space this year, $8 mil next year, then a few years where you are carrying that massive cap hit (followed by a minor $1.5 mil hit for a number of years). Paying an extra $6.4 MM this year could have erased that contract for the purposes of the cup window.

If the calculator I'm looking at is correct I'm actually a little shocked they didn't do that. Those two years of cap savings are massive for a team in a cup window. They get hit with essentially his full cap hit later on of course but the window is now.
This is correct in terms of cap savings but the actual buyout cost would've been $18.4M in base salary + $24M in signing bonuses.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Yeah, as much as this is hilarious they’ll be fine, in the regular season at least.
I think the Oilers will probably be competitive this season, ie 100+ points, but I'm not taking anything for granted. The defence is just so old and thin outside of Bouchard, and there's absolutely nothing on the way to help. Dermott and Stecher need to at least tread water.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I think the Oilers will probably be competitive this season, ie 100+ points, but I'm not taking anything for granted. The defence is just so old and thin outside of Bouchard, and there's absolutely nothing on the way to help. Dermott and Stecher need to at least tread water.
Having McDavid and Draisaitl, plus one of the best first lines and 5 man units in the NHL. With elite special teams is gonna win you a lot of games.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
It's aggressive to be sure. No doubt about it. But they are going to have to figure something out with Nurse. He is playing at a #7/8 level. Have to dig your way out of that deal somehow. 50% retained+good asset hurts the same I'd wager.

Considering they just wasted their last 4 1st round picks, why not just trade their next 4 1sts and see if a team like Columbus would bite? Heck add in Reid Scheafer. With McDavid and Drai they will be drafting 25th+ for the next decade anyways.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
The Sens have 7 goals but are still the same old Sens. Ullmark out for maintenance and their goalies have let in 7 goals on 22 shots.
travis green has entered the chat

(There's a real (albeit unlikely) path to Brady or Shane or Zub or or or this year when the Sens bomb again, the chef better be prepared)

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver
Blast from Canuck past in the Sens 8-7 win vs Kings today:

1728939474944.png

MacEwen had 2 goals today.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Lol Red Wings fans are so sensitive. Can’t handle their GM being criticized for all of his awful UFA signings.

I hate having to watch Stankoven and Guenther thriving. We need to be more angry at Aquillini for not firing Benning in the 2021 offseason.
Benning’s ability to convince Aqua that the moves he made that offseason were the way to go is amazing, but then again it’s Aqua.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Dahlin laying a hip check in practice on Peyton krebs and they drop the gloves

You can tel he is pissed with that team
Dahlin for Petey, who says no? :sarcasm:

*(Other than Petey).

I hate having to watch Stankoven and Guenther thriving. We need to be more angry at Aquillini for not firing Benning in the 2021 offseason.
To be fair, I’m still incredulous he wasn’t gone in the 2016 offseason when it was more than apparent he was clueless.

Reactions: Kryten and Vector

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Dahlin for Petey, who says no? :sarcasm:

*(Other than Petey).

To be fair, I’m still incredulous he wasn’t gone in the 2016 offseason when it was more than apparent he was clueless.

Each time he was extended you could have very easily made a case for him to be fired. Him being fired or just let his contract run out always felt like the more likely option and then he would wind up sticking around.

Reactions: Vector and Jyrki21

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Each time he was extended you could have very easily made a case for him to be fired. Him being fired or just let his contract run out always felt like the more likely option and then he would wind up sticking around.
His last extension was like 2019. Really odd then that he got more than 2 years. Cause then his deal was up in 2023. Had it been up in 2022 then in 2021 you either extend him or you let him go. But still with FA, he likely would have extended him just like he did with the coaching staff.

All that buyout BS with money being tight regarding Sutter is so damning when a year or so later he spent how much to pay JB, Green and co, plus BB while paying the new staff?

JB wasn’t going to miraculously turn it around after 7 seasons. Set the franchise back 2 years minimum plus lost assets and cap room keeping him.

But we all knew that once FA opted to bring him back vs use the 2021 to clean house with the coaching staff unsigned.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
His last extension was like 2019. Really odd then that he got more than 2 years. Cause then his deal was up in 2023. Had it been up in 2022 then in 2021 you either extend him or you let him go. But still with FA, he likely would have extended him just like he did with the coaching staff.

All that buyout BS with money being tight regarding Sutter is so damning when a year or so later he spent how much to pay JB, Green and co, plus BB while paying the new staff?

JB wasn’t going to miraculously turn it around after 7 seasons. Set the franchise back 2 years minimum plus lost assets and cap room keeping him.

But we all knew that once FA opted to bring him back vs use the 2021 to clean house with the coaching staff unsigned.
The Benning era completely changed my attitude towards the game, where I'll often find other things to occupy my time instead of watching the Canucks. It actually physically hurt to watch his tenure drag on after his first contract, with predictable results for the team.

The season starting so late and other Bettman shenanigans (gambling) hasn't helped either. It feels like the NHL is poorly organized and run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad