Around The League Thread | Let the Games Begin

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Six more seasons of Darnell Nurse at $9.25M.

He will only mature and get better and faster.

Yeah, as much as this is hilarious they’ll be fine, in the regular season at least.

I also think they will be ok but I’m not gonna lie I’m loving this. Their fans are now saying their cup window is closed and it was last year and the year before. It’s really great.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Hire JQ if it make your team better. Not Babs though.

Carter Hart is a disappointment but only because I cheer for TC above all else. We have no goalies. I am curious who make the net in this hillbilly tourney in 2025.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Oh definitely. They’ll right the ship just the same way I believe the Canucks will. It’s just that two of the most unhinged and reactionary fan bases are ours and theirs.

Well the Canucks and Oilers had like polar opposite seasons last year and we barely held off their white-hot second half for the division. Precedent-wise, Oilers should be a lot more comfortable with a bad start.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Oh definitely. They’ll right the ship just the same way I believe the Canucks will. It’s just that two of the most unhinged and reactionary fan bases are ours and theirs.

Imagine if Montreal and Toronto were also off to winless starts.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
The Oilers have Philly next. Damn that's gonna leave a mark.

Stu Skinner faked it till he made it. He's not an NHL goaltender. If they were sensible, they would make a goalie trade asap, even if they have to overpay. Instead they will probably wait it out and he'll go on one of his "streaks."

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
As much as I relish in pointing and laughing, to be totally fair, if last season is of any indication, I think they have reasons to not panic about what's going on right now.

I understand it's different season, different players, different circumstances. And like MS pointed out they did lose some key mid players and has gotten older with some questionable acquisitions. Last season they were near the bottom of the league, and McDavid was visible with seething rage and frustration.

The marathon has only started, teams just gotta go into playoffs with a fair position.
They are panicking though and should be. The all ceiling no floor effect is worse this year than last year.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
The Canucks 2 games don't compare to these blowouts. We scored first and took 2 points in games that we should have won. With our 2nd and 3rd tier goaltender.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Oilers will still most likely make the playoffs after firing the coach and getting a new coach bump.
Don't see them winning the cup though considering this is pretty much a healthy roster and half of it is dog shit or on the wrong side of 30. If they actually run into one or two significant injuries they will be f***ed ten ways until tomorrow. Last year they were very fortunate to not have any injuries and were able to ice the same roster every night.

One thing I've noticed is that the Oilers are Charmin soft on the wings compared to last year. Young hungry teams should be able to win board battles all day against those wingers. Once you win those battles it becomes easy to expose the Oilers defense and Skinner.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
The Oilers have Philly next. Damn that's gonna leave a mark.

Stu Skinner faked it till he made it. He's not an NHL goaltender. If they were sensible, they would make a goalie trade asap, even if they have to overpay. Instead they will probably wait it out and he'll go on one of his "streaks."
I doubt the Oilers do anything with goaltending. They are basically married to him as their guy and I doubt they find much on the trade market.

Oilers have a lot of needs besides goaltending and not a ton of capital to acquire them. Oilers needs are also the hardest things to acquire which will make it extremely taxing to find solutions They need a top 4 right shot D and they need some Top 6 wingers with size/jam. They will likely have to go bargain bin shopping at walmartfor stone cold movies in the $5 Movie bin.

Reactions: Bubbles

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The only thing I get from the Oilers board today is how most of them don't understand a goaltender has to have full access to his crease. If the goaltender is unable to come out further because of an opposition player is there on his own accord it's interference. Perry is untouched and unimpeded just standing in the crease. You can't do that. (Goals should be disallowed only if: (1) an attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal...
...The overriding rationale of this rule is that a goalkeeper should have the ability to move freely within his goal crease without being hindered by the actions of an attacking player. If an attacking player enters the goal crease and, by his actions, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to defend his goal, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.)

1728914623173.png

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
At least we're losing with some dignity. The Oilers are just getting blown out every night. :laugh:

Skinner rocking a glorious 5.40 GAA and a .805 SV% :biglaugh:
You love to see it, but you know they're just going to acquire Carter Hart or some other besmirched goaltender and go on another 31-2-2 run or something.

edit: OK, I see @Nuckles had the exact same thought. :laugh:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I am once again here to bitch and moan about the NHL's terrible spacing of game times.

nhl times.jpg

I don't care that they want to leave a 3+ hour window for families on the East coast to eat together :nono:

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Had the Oilers bought Nurse out this summer it would have cost them $18.4 MM...which is actually only $6.4 MM more than he is being paid this year. They would have given themselves $10 mil in cap space this year, $8 mil next year, then a few years where you are carrying that massive cap hit (followed by a minor $1.5 mil hit for a number of years). Paying an extra $6.4 MM this year could have erased that contract for the purposes of the cup window.

If the calculator I'm looking at is correct I'm actually a little shocked they didn't do that. Those two years of cap savings are massive for a team in a cup window. They get hit with essentially his full cap hit later on of course but the window is now.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Had the Oilers bought Nurse out this summer it would have cost them $18.4 MM...which is actually only $6.4 MM more than he is being paid this year. They would have given themselves $10 mil in cap space this year, $8 mil next year, then a few years where you are carrying that massive cap hit (followed by a minor $1.5 mil hit for a number of years). Paying an extra $6.4 MM this year could have erased that contract for the purposes of the cup window.

If the calculator I'm looking at is correct I'm actually a little shocked they didn't do that. Those two years of cap savings are massive for a team in a cup window. They get hit with essentially his full cap hit later on of course but the window is now.
Well, the flip side is the bill becomes due when McDavid is done his current deal. So would he sign a new one knowing there is $9 mill in dead cap coming. And what of Leon? Would he have signed this summer?

But, to win you have to be willing to be aggressive. But that might have been too aggressive.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Well, the flip side is the bill becomes due when McDavid is done his current deal. So would he sign a new one knowing there is $9 mill in dead cap coming. And what of Leon? Would he have signed this summer?

But, to win you have to be willing to be aggressive. But that might have been too aggressive.
It's aggressive to be sure. No doubt about it. But they are going to have to figure something out with Nurse. He is playing at a #7/8 level. Have to dig your way out of that deal somehow. 50% retained+good asset hurts the same I'd wager.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Dahlin laying a hip check in practice on Peyton krebs and they drop the gloves

You can tel he is pissed with that team

Wildest part is that he threw the hip check and then immediately went at him rather than the fight being Krebs reacting to the hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad