Around The League Thread | Let the Games Begin

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think he demands a trade by Christmas if it continues.
new GM in Waddell and HC in Evason.
Said in a prior post, they needed to plan to develop their players. he's a RHD, so he needs a solid LHD partner. Won't be Werenski as he's their big minute guy getting tough matchups with Severson.
Leaves (based on handedness), Provorov, Harris, Johnson, Christianson (but he's 25 and had 44 nhl games coming into this season, so not the ideal partner).

Other RHD is Gudbranson.

Unless he was going to partner with Provorov, the Jackets needed to find a LHD that he could play with. Johnson isn't good. And they opted to scratch Harris.

I'm more in the camp of keeping kids in the A until they are ready. Like once they get a call up, I don't like having to send them down unless they are not performing well. But, again, why did they call the kid up if he ended up not ready for the NHL. Be patient.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

Dude just wants to play hockey, not musical chairs.
So while this is really funny, how does Vegas end up getting the guy for their AHL team when it was Edmonton's player at the start? How was Vegas allowed to place another claim and send him directly to the AHL when Edmonton couldn't?

Couldn't anyone get any waived player for free for their AHL team by playing waiver hot potato for a week? (assuming no one claims and keeps the player for their NHL team)

Edit: I forgot a third team put in a claim before this, that's why Edmonton couldn't just send him down

Last edited:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
So while this is really funny, how does Vegas end up getting the guy for their AHL team when it was Edmonton's player at the start? How was Vegas allowed to place another claim and send him directly to the AHL when Edmonton couldn't?

Couldn't anyone get any waived player for free for their AHL team by playing waiver hot potato for a week? (assuming no one claims and keeps the player for their NHL team)
Some team (it has to be Colorado) screwed Edmonton over by putting in a claim which forced him to go back on waivers.

As I understand, no other team aside from Vegas put in a waiver claim this time around which meant he was free to slide into the AHL.

Reactions: Nuckles

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
The Oilers didn't HAVE to put him back on waivers, they could have carried him or figured out an alternative transaction. Anyways, Team effort by everyone to hollow out the Oilers depth and youth.

Ryan McLeod was 25.
Lavoie was 23.
Holloway was 23.
Broberg was 23.
Xavier Bourgault was 21.

Foegle was 28 and a UFA, but losing him and replacing him 30+ year olds will hurt him too. Also worth noting they don't have a 2025 1st either.

All around, terrible asset management without much to show for it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The Oilers didn't HAVE to put him back on waivers, they could have carried him or figured out an alternative transaction. Anyways, Team effort by everyone to hollow out the Oilers depth and youth.

Ryan McLeod was 25.
Lavoie was 23.
Holloway was 23.
Broberg was 23.
Xavier Bourgault was 21.

Foegle was 28 and a UFA, but losing him and replacing him 30+ year olds will hurt him too.

Foegele was a really solid player for them who scored basically 20 ES goals for them last year without much help from McDavid or Draisaitl, and it's weird how his loss is basically just totally ignored.

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Raphael Lavoie right now

the-terminal-main_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqOjwtMIBfBvsmIG0UzgZgYPhrltaUY50V0um6z1LiQa0.jpg

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Heh, Celebrini scored 7:01 into the 1st period, wearing #71

Reminds me of when Daniel, assisted by Hank, scored his 22 goal, 33 seconds into the 2nd period of their final game.

Then Daniel, assisted by Henrik, scores again to win it in overtime, at 2:33.

Good times.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Foegele was a really solid player for them who scored basically 20 ES goals for them last year without much help from McDavid or Draisaitl, and it's weird how his loss is basically just totally ignored.
::HANDWAVE:: LOOK WE GOT SKINNER AND ARVIDSSON !!!

• Haha
Reactions: MS

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Not just ignored, celebrated.

They gutted half their defense, almost all speed, youth and top PKers, plugged in soft weak wingers and ahl dmans, and every idiot jumped on their delusional hype train.

There's a handful (maximum) of posters on their board who see it objectively and have raised concerns, tried to explain them in detail but the rest are just mcdrai simps repeatedly saying scf scf scf SCF !¡!¡

On a related note holloway looks good and broberg looks very good.
The rest of the hockey world caught an absolutely massive break last year when the panthers won.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not just ignored, celebrated.

They gutted half their defense, almost all speed, youth and top PKers, plugged in soft weak wingers and ahl dmans, and every idiot jumped on their delusional hype train.

There's a handful (maximum) of posters on their board who see it objectively and have raised concerns, tried to explain them in detail but the rest are just mcdrai simps repeatedly saying scf scf scf SCF !¡!¡

On a related note holloway looks good and broberg looks very good.
The rest of the hockey world caught an absolutely massive break last year when the panthers won.

Totally. They basically gutted all their mid-roster glue guys doing the dirty work for them, especially for the PK on the crazy PK run they had. And all their non-McDavid team speed.

And then replaced them with guys like a washed Jeff Skinner who scored 13 points in 40 games in the 2nd half of last season before getting bought out ... and people are like OMG LOOK HOW THEY'VE IMPROVED!

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I had not watch Foegele a lot but I recall that whenever I get a chance to look at the score board in regular season, and much of playoffs, he always seems to score one of those goals that seeded either a complete comeback or at least an effort to comeback, when the Oilers had to battle against the wind. Was rather surprised to see him letting go, to be honest.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I had not watch Foegele a lot but I recall that whenever I get a chance to look at the score board in regular season, and much of playoffs, he always seems to score one of those goals that seeded either a complete comeback or at least an effort to comeback, when the Oilers had to battle against the wind. Was rather surprised to see him letting go, to be honest.

To me after the four guys who play on PP1 (McBaby, Draisaitl, Hyman, RNH) their two most important forwards were Foegele and McLeod. Good ES scoring numbers, good two-way workers, important PK guys. And then Holloway in the playoffs looked to be joining that group.

And that group is now gutted plus who knows if/when Kane will play again, and they've basically replaced them with either old skill players or junk.

Foegele was kind of their Dakota Joshua. Not quite the physical presence but played a similar role. It's a big loss.

Reactions: Vector and valkynax

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
To me after the four guys who play on PP1 (McBaby, Draisaitl, Hyman, RNH) their two most important forwards were Foegele and McLeod. Good ES scoring numbers, good two-way workers, important PK guys. And then Holloway in the playoffs looked to be joining that group.

And that group is now gutted plus who knows if/when Kane will play again, and they've basically replaced them with either old skill players or junk.

Foegele was kind of their Dakota Joshua. Not quite the physical presence but played a similar role. It's a big loss.

I can understand the importance of mid players, especially when playoff intensifies.

Well, here's hoping Joshua will return soon so we can run our rock solid 3rd line again.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I can understand the importance of mid players, especially when playoff intensifies.

Well, here's hoping Joshua will return soon so we can run our rock solid 3rd line again.

You need unglamorous worker bees to soak up tough minutes and defensive zone starts and hard matchups and PK work.

McLeod/Foegele/Ceci were in their 10 most important players, to me. And they're gone and not replaced at all.

And yeah, Joshua/Soucy/Blueger-types are the equivalent here.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Totally. They basically gutted all their mid-roster glue guys doing the dirty work for them, especially for the PK on the crazy PK run they had. And all their non-McDavid team speed.

And then replaced them with guys like a washed Jeff Skinner who scored 13 points in 40 games in the 2nd half of last season before getting bought out ... and people are like OMG LOOK HOW THEY'VE IMPROVED!
Jeff Skinner will be one of the worst-value acquisitions of the off-season. It's baffling that they didn't spend that money on defence.

Reactions: God and MS

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I didn't watch the Oilers much and it's hard to get a good idea of how a player is doing from their board, other than that they are probably playing well if there are a lot of exclamation marks after their name when they are mentioned and probably playing poorly if their sexuality is questioned.

• Haha
Reactions: valkynax

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I didn't watch the Oilers much and it's hard to get a good idea of how a player is doing from their board, other than that they are probably playing well if there are a lot of exclamation marks after their name when they are mentioned and probably playing poorly if their sexuality is questioned.

I got to take a glance at the score board and I often see Foegele's name popping up in those times when a wind shifting goal was needed.

They did at least seal Draisaitl and will likely ink McDavid (probably north of 15 mil), so the core two are secured. But what are they gonna do if you have those two plus Nurse taking up almost half the team's caps?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad