Around The League Thread | Let the Games Begin

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
@Ernie

That's because I haven't taken a rigorous look at the various rosters around the league to make such a decision. But neither have the pundits. My point wasn't I would do a better job or have done a better job. Just that the prediction articles etc. are not articles that have a lot of thought put into them. They are about as useful as a preseason record. Good teams tend to remain good teams, bad team tend to remain bad teams with a few of each moving the other way. That is all they tend to say. My comment wasn't one where I was going to put forth my thesis on what makes a good team vs cup favourite.

I've only looked at a few rosters (Flames - awful, Oilers - got worse IMO, Canucks - got better IMO...that's about it). Of those three I wouldn't even put the Oilers as the favourite. Call me a homer.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So the Oilers protect Podkolzin and waive Lavoie, and then watch him get scooped up by Division Rival Vegas.

Kind of a baffling decision really. Lavoie has good size, at 6'4" and 215, is coming off back-to-back seasons of 25 and 28 goals in Bakersfield. More importantly he's listed as a natural center.

Podkolzin is one year younger than Lavoie, but is a winger pure and simple. And doesn't kill penalties, which really limits his duty on the third and fourth lines.

I think this is probably a mistake by Bowman and the Oilers.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
@Ernie

That's because I haven't taken a rigorous look at the various rosters around the league to make such a decision. But neither have the pundits. My point wasn't I would do a better job or have done a better job. Just that the prediction articles etc. are not articles that have a lot of thought put into them. They are about as useful as a preseason record. Good teams tend to remain good teams, bad team tend to remain bad teams with a few of each moving the other way. That is all they tend to say. My comment wasn't one where I was going to put forth my thesis on what makes a good team vs cup favourite.

I've only looked at a few rosters (Flames - awful, Oilers - got worse IMO, Canucks - got better IMO...that's about it). Of those three I wouldn't even put the Oilers as the favourite. Call me a homer.

I mean obviously pre-season predictions are not very accurate! But yes placing the Canucks above a team that beat them in the playoffs and went to game 7 of the finals is probably a home take.

The betting odds have Edmonton as the favourite with about a 13% chance of winning the cup. For a team that has McDavid and Draisatl signed for $21m between them, I'm not complaining.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
@Ernie

Even if one takes the time to do a detailed pre season SC favorite analysis things happen in the season but the outrage that the Oilers are considered favorites from the West is amusing from some sectors that started off this tangent

Sure the Oilers got worse on the back end but Florida lost 2 of their top 5 as well in OEL and Montour and like I pointed out the Oilers after round 2 had basically a non Draisatl and no Kane as well.

I'm not a huge Skinner fan but Arvidsson is a quality winger and a healthy Kane/Drai does wonders and on paper maybe only Dallas is close to them.

At least your last sentence was honest unlike the other guy who started it all.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
If it was the Oilers who acquired Debrusk , Ullmark or even Lankenin, or overpaid for Zadorov, then I could see it. Or even Montour or whoever else was out there. Debrusk would probably be Hyman 2.0 for them.

With the players they signed , they have the exact same energy as before.

Management really seemed to think that they were one of those teams who could add and shelter a small one way winger.

I don't want to say it but I don't think they have a chance against the healthy Canucks.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The center shortage around the league is plain for everyone to see on the waiver wire, with both Cole Schwindt and Rafael Lavoie being claimed from Calgary and Edmonton. Clearly Vegas values young guys who are natural centers.

You can always shift a guy from center to wing; but for whatever reason you just can't make centers out of natural wingers. For that reason I'm pretty sure the Canucks would have looked at Lavoie pretty carefully.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Thought Reichel was on his way to becoming a very good player a couple years ago. Seems that he's hit a bit of a roadblock in his development.
Clearly the Hawks have a long way to go. Kureshev, Reichel up front with Allan, Vlasic on D and Soderblom are their only 25 and under guys along with Bedard.

Will need to find that balance when they add more kids into the lineup.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The center shortage around the league is plain for everyone to see on the waiver wire, with both Cole Schwindt and Rafael Lavoie being claimed from Calgary and Edmonton. Clearly Vegas values young guys who are natural centers.

You can always shift a guy from center to wing; but for whatever reason you just can't make centers out of natural wingers. For that reason I'm pretty sure the Canucks would have looked at Lavoie pretty carefully.
Isn't Lavoie a winger though?

Even so both players are nothing burgers right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad