Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I'm telling you, there's a world where the Canucks eliminate the Oilers in the second round and Draisaitl doesn't sign an extension this summer because he's unsure if the team has what it takes to make it over the hump.

That would've been back-to-back losses in the second round for the Oilers.

Now we gotta deal with this guy for the next 7-8 years.

But think how funny it's going to be when they don't win a thing during those years!

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Are they going to tie up $30M AAV between Conner and Drai's extensions? Drai needs to go to be the #1 guy on another team.

Whether you’re the Oilers or another team, you give them whatever it takes to sign them, even if it’s the max. It’s an especially big no brainer for the Oilers given their history of struggling to retain players.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Whether you’re the Oilers or another team, you give them whatever it takes to sign them, even if it’s the max. It’s an especially big no brainer for the Oilers given their history of struggling to retain players.

Absolutely.

$25-30 million for 2 guys that can score a combined 230-280 points a season and be a PPG+ in the playoffs?

What do you really gain by letting these guys go for the sake of cap room?

Reactions: Caspian and rypper

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Absolutely.

$25-30 million for 2 guys that can score a combined 230-280 points a season and be a PPG+ in the playoffs?

If you're not going to give two of the greatest players of all time, nevermind the current league, the max...then who will you give it to?

If they walk up to you and say "hey, I'll sign today for max cap and term", you try not to break your ankles running to get the pen and paper to sign them.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
If you're not going to give two of the greatest players of all time, nevermind the current league, the max...then who will you give it to?

If they walk up to you and say "hey, I'll sign today for max cap and term", you try not to break your ankles running to get the pen and paper to sign them.

What is the allowed maximum contract, term and cap per year, right now anyways?

And I'm guessing it'll have NMC plus buyout prevention options?

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
They are an incredible duo but if they both get the max AAV allowed it doesn't put them in a great spot. The two best forwards in hockey surrounded by fringe depth hasn't been working, and that's not even with McDavid, Draisaitl and Bouchard mega deals they are all due to get.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
They are an incredible duo but if they both get the max AAV allowed it doesn't put them in a great spot. The two best forwards in hockey surrounded by fringe depth hasn't been working, and that's not even with McDavid, Draisaitl and Bouchard mega deals they are all due to get.

McD + Drai + Bouchard is likely going to take up 40m in cap space.... for 3 players...

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don't think Draisaitl was ever leaving.

Of the two, there seemed to be the most smoke around him rather than McDavid. If he is in fact opting to say, that's terrific news for the Oilers and, more specifically, the city of Edmonton, who watched pretty much every good player they developed walk away from them in the 90s/00s except for a hardcore, team-first guys like Ryan Smyth.

Not that they deserve this abundance of riches, especially with their most recently personnel decisions, but I digress.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Absolutely.

Draisaitl will more than earn his contract if the league continues give its acceptance for him to take out the oppositions best forward with an elbow to the head. And you don't hear much from the media about it. For f**ks sake that weasel Ron McLean was still bitching about Burrows years later.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
As much as I would like to see that, would Drai actually ask for max even if it's to stay in Edmonton? Both Matthews and MacK took considerably less than max even though they could easily ask for it.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
As much as I would like to see that, would Drai actually ask for max even if it's to stay in Edmonton? Both Matthews and MacK took considerably less than max even though they could easily ask for it.
Well there is no reason why he doesn’t ask for like 15, what’s the Oilers going to do, let him walk or trade him? lol

Reactions: supercanuck

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

I remember the days when Draisaitl's contract was considered bad. Wasn't me, but it was. Those were some weird times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad