Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Interesting....would have though that Konecny and the Flyers would go different directions.

With his stature and play style it was smart to grab the bag when tabled.

Boeser is gonna be a tough one for us. If your willing to give Hronek 8yrs and fellow draft class men like Konecny are getting it good luck with discussions around not giving it

Man did last years playoff run really expose some media types. Used to think the crotch watcher was the only one on the panel who was a total 2 face.

Now they are coming out in droves
So Konecny signs an eight year contract for $70m from the Flyers. That works out to $8.75m a season.....more than Horvat got from the Islanders and more than J.T. Miller got from the Canucks.

Konecny is good, but nowhere near that good. As a career scorer, he's basically a 55-65 point player. You simply can't cough up that kind of money for a 60 point scorer. But the aforementioned Horvat got $8m out of the Islanders; and Lindholm $7.75m out of the Bruins. And they're 60-point players at the best of times.

Memo to myself--never complain about the contracts for Miller and Pettersson, ever again.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Konecny best point season was 68 this year. He’s had 61 points in 60 games in 22/23 and another at 61 points in 66 games before Covid shut down in 19/20. But availability is an ability as the old saying goes for football.

Pace only means so much.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So Konecny signs an eight year contract for $70m from the Flyers. That works out to $8.75m a season.....more than Horvat got from the Islanders and more than J.T. Miller got from the Canucks.

Konecny is good, but nowhere near that good. As a career scorer, he's basically a 55-65 point player. You simply can't cough up that kind of money for a 60 point scorer. But the aforementioned Horvat got $8m out of the Islanders; and Lindholm $7.75m out of the Bruins. And they're 60-point players at the best of times.

Memo to myself--never complain about the contracts for Miller and Pettersson, ever again.

Konecny has averaged 78 points/82 over the past two years and been the runaway leading scorer on a bad team with no linemates or support.

He’d be scoring 90 points if he was riding shotgun with Miller or Pettersson in Vancouver.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I can get Whitney laying low since he's not a local show. But, does show that he's a front runner, only there for the good times and not the bad...

Gazdic and Spector laying low despite being the local guys covering the team says a lot about them. Take a stance. Cause if it was anyone else hired, they'd be out there with their opinion on the hire.

Dumb dumber and dumbest, I'll let you guys figure out which is which, not that it matters.

For the people who think Bowman should still get a chance, I ask: will anyone dare to chirp the same tune, if this was YOUR child in Beach's place?

Yeah, that's what I f***ing thought.

Reactions: Wisp

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Konecny has averaged 78 points/82 over the past two years and been the runaway leading scorer on a bad team with no linemates or support.

He’d be scoring 90 points if he was riding shotgun with Miller or Pettersson in Vancouver.
All you can base the value of a contract on is what the player 'has' done, rather than what he 'could' do.

And on that basis, there's no way he's worth $875,000 more than J.T. Miller. And for that matter he's not worth more than Horvat either. Those two guys are natural centers, far more valuable than a winger like Konecny.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
All you can base the value of a contract on is what the player 'has' done, rather than what he 'could' do.

And on that basis, there's no way he's worth $875,000 more than J.T. Miller. And for that matter he's not worth more than Horvat either. Those two guys are natural centers, far more valuable than a winger like Konecny.

Obviously Miller’s contract is far better.

But Konecny is also not a ‘60 point player’.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Dumb dumber and dumbest, I'll let you guys figure out which is which, not that it matters.

For the people who think Bowman should still get a chance, I ask: will anyone dare to chirp the same tune, if this was YOUR child in Beach's place?

Yeah, that's what I f***ing thought.

Exactly, well said.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

Konecny has been near a point per game on an offensively inept team in Philadephia. This guy gets almost none of his points on the powerplay and is a 2 way beast. If he gets insulated and Philly adds some players for their PP he could clip 90 pts.

He is far and away better than both Horvat and Lindholm, and your other comparable (Miller) has one of the best AAV production contracts in the NHL - it's not really a fair comparison.

Reactions: tantalum

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I have a few questions on how Bowman even had the NHL allow this and that just adds to my dislike for Buttman the man has no conscience no consideration for players at risk or those affected after the cover up .
Oilers also should have had similar questions.
What a bush league move
What I've never been able to understand is how almost every NHL team is committed to recycling old and tired GM's, no matter what there record is.

Surely there has to be some good young GM candidates out there just waiting for the chance to run an NHL team. But you look around the league and it's like deja vu all over again.

I guess the Canucks are fortunate that they went out and hired Jim Rutherford, who has the sense to pass to torch to younger people. He's installed Patrik Allvin as his everyday GM and hired some young, fresh aces in the hockey ops department.

And it shows.....according to the Athletic, the Canucks now have the fifth more efficient payroll in the entire NHL.

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010
What I've never been able to understand is how almost every NHL team is committed to recycling old and tired GM's, no matter what there record is.

Surely there has to be some good young GM candidates out there just waiting for the chance to run an NHL team. But you look around the league and it's like deja vu all over again.

I guess the Canucks are fortunate that they went out and hired Jim Rutherford, who has the sense to pass to torch to younger people. He's installed Patrik Allvin as his everyday GM and hired some young, fresh aces in the hockey ops department.

And it shows.....according to the Athletic, the Canucks now have the fifth more efficient payroll in the entire NHL.
I think castonguay is an amazing hire. She seems to be doing a great job with contracts and specifically how they are structured

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Something really bad must have happened draft day. I really enjoy Marek and his his work with Friedman. His Hey Burkie segment is hilarious as well. I hope he lands somewhere good.

It sucks for consumers these days because TSN (Bell) and SN (Rogers) are aggressively in the game of cost reduction. Decent media personalities are vanishing and the overall production is starting to suck.

From a financial standpoint, it makes sense to gradually cease ties with these personalities as they are losing a fair share of market share to an oversaturated market of independent podcasters and columnists.

Reactions: Bubbles

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It sucks for consumers these days because TSN (Bell) and SN (Rogers) are aggressively in the game of cost reduction. Decent media personalities are vanishing and the overall production is starting to suck.

From a financial standpoint, it makes sense to gradually cease ties with these personalities as they are losing a fair share of market share to an oversaturated market of independent podcasters and columnists.
I mean, a lot of that is they're own doing.

They're letting all these people go who have a built-in following. They they go and start their own show/podcast/substack and try to get by independent.

It's truly baffling to understand the long-term business plan of these sports media outlets, when they let go of talented people, then their audience drops, forcing them to cut costs and let go of other people...

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I mean, a lot of that is they're own doing.

They're letting all these people go who have a built-in following. They they go and start their own show/podcast/substack and try to get by independent.

It's truly baffling to understand the long-term business plan of these sports media outlets, when they let go of talented people, then their audience drops, forcing them to cut costs and let go of other people...

Modern day corporations no longer think long-term. The instant reaction to a lackluster quarter is to immediately identify personnel to layoff. It's a fundamental flaw with our economic system that results in the destruction of many companies.

The only reason our media exists nowadays is pretty much due to having an oligopoly.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Modern day corporations no longer think long-term. The instant reaction to a lackluster quarter is to immediately identify personnel to layoff. It's a fundamental flaw with our economic system that results in the destruction of many companies.

The only reason our media exists nowadays is pretty much due to having an oligopoly.

The main explanation I've heard for this is that public companies are beholden to investors and investors are extremely stupid and short-sighted.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

For publicly traded companies, they aim to hit their quarterly/yearly earnings targets.

Rather than focus on innovation in which the real payoff is in 3 years or so down the road.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I realize this incentive for short-termism isn't isolated to sports or media, but it does seem particularly acute there.

The oligopoly point is interesting. My read is kind of the opposite. Since the media has become more and more consolidated, it seems we're losing coverage, rather than the big companies keeping things running. Every time Bell or Rogers or Postmedia buy up some outlets, they basically just shutter 'em.

Last edited:

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
The main explanation I've heard for this is that public companies are beholden to investors and investors are extremely stupid and short-sighted.

management and investors are the same group to a large extent though

the explanation is that most ceos are hired guns who are paid mostly for increasing the stock price (either directly through their compensation package or indirectly because their compensation package is largely paid in stock). all their incentives are for short term thinking

owner-managers are really rare in modern corporations. zuck, bezos and gates built meta, amazon and msft into what they are because they could take a long view as they were both owners and managers. google lost it's way when page and brin mostly exited the business. even apple pivoted from it's traditional product oriented long term positioning to short term stock price motivated actions when cook took the reigns from jobs

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

About 10 years ago I started publishing my NHL projections online and joined CapFriendly about six years ago. It was a tremendous thrill to work on the site, but also a major disappointment when I found out the site was being sold to the Washington Capitals and my services were no longer required.

As luck would have it, I discovered that The Hockey News was looking to add more roster and lineup content to their site. So here we are. We wanted to get the data online as soon as possible, so the content will temporarily be published using Google Sheets. The long-term goal is to build something more user-friendly, so stay tuned for a more robust feature down the road. The data can be a little slow to load sometimes, but I think they actually look pretty good in this format. I tried to mimic the CapFriendly layout with a few tweaks, so it should look familiar to those who visited the old pages.

It's not the best, hard to rival capfriendly yet, but I like the info/layout better than capwages and puckpedia.

#vanillapproved

Reactions: andora and Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It's not the best, hard to rival capfriendly yet, but I like the info/layout better than capwages and puckpedia.

#vanillapproved

At the very least, competition is good. Get all these sites pushing each other for a better product (so they too can eventually be bought) is great for us.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
The lineup pages are entirely blank for me?

At the very least, competition is good. Get all these sites pushing each other for a better product (so they too can eventually be bought) is great for us.
Yes definitely, actually the more I look through the hockey news lineups the more I like it, not the sharpest looking yet, but the information I seem to look at/for daily (somehow) is all there easy to see.

Also like the division format much more than the non alphabetical capfriendly list with tiny little links.

Have not and not sure I will use anything else on the hockey news site but these lineups are nice. (Minus the glaring errors like Sherwood as a scratch, there's many more similar but the gist is there.)

Edit: Also they must've just updated because it looks and works better than this morning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vector

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
The price of seeing your team winning a cup is worth selling your soul to the devil. We would all do horrible things to see it happen...

I personally would put ketchup on my scrambled eggs and drink Folgers coffee!
I call shenanigans

some lines don't get crossed

Folgers
As if

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad