Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Ixnay on Zerplanyay = Oilers couldn’t win with arguably the best player ever. Hahah #classic 🚬

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Unless you got lucky in the draft lottery or were able to land elite talent at your draft position, then you are going to have to make a trade or signing to really turn things around. I can't really argue with anyone that Yzerman drafted in round 1. Last 2, really hard at the moment to say what Kasper/Danielson will do, but they don't seem like 1st liners, probably 2nd liners. And I thought Wallstedt was the better option in net in 2021 over Cossa.

Late first at like 26 for DCat was a solid move.

Again, I think the make/break for Yzerman is how well his scouts did in rounds 2-3 in that span from 2019-2023. Going to need like 3 Forwards to be middle 6 guys and 2 to be #3-5 Dmen.

I don’t like DeBrincat at all. The trade makes sense but I don’t like his contract nor him as a player.

Thw drafting hasn’t looked very promising either. No non-1st round picks have made the team. Lots of regression after promising years. It seems Yzerman knows this and why he pivoted to signing UFAs. That hasn’t worked so he stood pat this off-season.

To me, it looks like he’s now stuck hoping for development. Then he needs to nail some trades like say a 1st and 2nd for a top-pairing right shot defenceman.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I don’t like DeBrincat at all. The trade makes sense but I don’t like his contract nor him as a player.

Thw drafting hasn’t looked very promising either. No non-1st round picks have made the team. Lots of regression after promising years. It seems Yzerman knows this and why he pivoted to signing UFAs. That hasn’t worked so he stood pat this off-season.

To me, it looks like he’s now stuck hoping for development. Then he needs to nail some trades like say a 1st and 2nd for a top-pairing right shot defenceman.
I lol’d

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
One the trade block?

RW - Brock Boeser
RW - Connor Garland
RW - Vasily Podkolzin
RW - Daniel Sprong
RW - Jonathan Lekkerimaki

• Haha
Reactions: rypper

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Probably a lower round pick.

I like the guy but he really has nothing going for him unfortunately. I dont think he's gonna figure it out here which is a shame because I like the guy.
I really thought his puck retrieval and passing skills would translate, making him a 3rd winger on a top 6 line. Just hasn't happened for him and, sadly, I'm leaning towards agreeing with you that it might never happen for him

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Probably a lower round pick.

I like the guy but he really has nothing going for him unfortunately. I dont think he's gonna figure it out here which is a shame.

If Podkolzin is traded, it’ll be as a throw in on something bigger, or some sort of “change of scenery” swap where we acquire a player in a different position who needs a change of scenery of their own.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
If Podkolzin is traded, it’ll be as a throw in on something bigger, or some sort of “change of scenery” swap where we acquire a player in a different position who needs a change of scenery of their own.
I see us acquiring a later pick for him which will be used for future trades for some veteran depth pieces at the tdl but maybe thats just me.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Yzerman absolutely knows this. He said last summer his rebuild had failed. Now he just seems to be floundering trying to do whatever he can to get a team to squeak into the playoffs.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Also hard for a New GM as they inherit the scouting staff of Holland. Unless he brought in a couple of people from TB that he worked with. But, quick look at their 2019 and 2020 list, yeah, it's not promising. Very similar to Benning in that only the 1st rounders are making the NHL.

Reactions: Vector

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
vadim sharifijanov said:
am i missing something? why do ppl care so much about whether yzerman sucks?

it’s not like he’s edmonton or calgary or toronto or chicago or boston or messier or… i just don’t see a reason to gaf

For me it's because I spent multiple offseasons arguing with people who wanted to blow this team up and start another rebuild, and those people were continually citing the Wings/Yzerman as the 'ideal' of a team doing things right because they were winning the Prospect Pool Cup and the Most Draft Picks trophy every year.

I don't particularly care about the Wings/Yzerman specifically (and I think he's actually just a pretty average GM), it's just that this situation is playing out pretty much exactly how I was telling people it would at the time, and showing how difficult it is to get from 'OMG LOOK AT ALL OUR PROSPECTS' to being an actual good team with actual NHL impact players driving the bus.

Fans act like tanking is this guaranteed formula for success and retooling on the fly is stupid and guaranteed to fail but Detroit is Exhibit 1A for how you can do everything 'right' in a tank and nothing is guaranteed. And like I tried telling the video games people for years, there are reasons that teams only tank like this as a last resort.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Yzerman absolutely knows this. He said last summer his rebuild had failed. Now he just seems to be floundering trying to do whatever he can to get a team to squeak into the playoffs.
He's quite literally running the Benning playbook: Sign meh UFAs to bad contracts with the vague hope of being "competitive" (meaningful games in March!), while trying to sell the fanbase that a mid-pack prospect pool will magically develop into all-stars and save the franchise.

Reactions: tantalum and Vector

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's quite literally running the Benning playbook: Sign meh UFAs to bad contracts with the vague hope of being "competitive" (meaningful games in March!), while trying to sell the fanbase that a mid-pack prospect pool will magically develop into all-stars and save the franchise.
Once Seider/Raymond arrived in 21/22 and Detroit landed at 8th worst, they were not going to go back into the top 3/4 spots again. Only way to have gotten that bad again was to move Larkin before his extension was needed to be done by the 23 TDL and probably well in advance of that.

Michigan, along with Minny/Mass are the big 3 of states that produce NHLers. Surprised they haven't attracted any key guys who want to go home to play for an Original 6 club.

Reactions: Caspian

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
For all the draft picks Yzerman's scouting staff has had since 2019, the hit rate has been atrocious. For the 2019 & 2020 drafts they had the following:

6 2nds: Only Johansson and Wallinder are tracking to maybe play some NHL games
6 3rds & 4ths: Nothing
9 5th-7ths: Elmer Soderblom has played 21 games and noone else is tracking

2021 looks better but everyone is really taking their time in getting close to the NHL. Edvinsson might break camp with the team. Cossa rebounded after an atrocious start in his first professional season. Too early to tell but they might have something in Buium. Mazur will probably get bottom-6 minutes eventually.

Too early to tell for the other drafts but most of the 2022 is tracking poorly. Not a single player taken in the 2022 draft apart from Kasper is tracking to play in the NHL. Also weirdly traded Andrew Gibson, from the 2023 draft, who is tracking very well as a big RD with some offensive skills just so he could dump Walman.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Looks like they did something right for once. Blue Jackets might not be a playoff team but they should at least finally play with purpose. Just look at that face! That's a guy you play hard for.

Reactions: andora and bossram

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
For me it's because I spent multiple offseasons arguing with people who wanted to blow this team up and start another rebuild, and those people were continually citing the Wings/Yzerman as the 'ideal' of a team doing things right because they were winning the Prospect Pool Cup and the Most Draft Picks trophy every year.

I don't particularly care about the Wings/Yzerman specifically (and I think he's actually just a pretty average GM), it's just that this situation is playing out pretty much exactly how I was telling people it would at the time, and showing how difficult it is to get from 'OMG LOOK AT ALL OUR PROSPECTS' to being an actual good team with actual NHL impact players driving the bus.

Fans act like tanking is this guaranteed formula for success and retooling on the fly is stupid and guaranteed to fail but Detroit is Exhibit 1A for how you can do everything 'right' in a tank and nothing is guaranteed. And like I tried telling the video games people for years, there are reasons that teams only tank like this as a last resort.

I remember all of those arguments. There were many egos bruised over video games logic.

Reality is successful teams are run by elite players which are extremely rare to draft, even when you suck for several years.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I remember all of those arguments. There were many egos bruised over video games logic.

Reality is successful teams are run by elite players which are extremely rare to draft, even when you suck for several years.

Bingo.

People kept going on about the 'failed core' when it hadn't failed at all and the reason the team had failed was bad coaching, bad management and lack of direction, and bad depth and supporting cast. And rather than trying to do fairly easy things to fix what was happening around our outstanding core players, people wanted to blow it up for a 50% chance that 6-7 years from now we might have core players that good again, with the same issues building a team around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad