Around the League Thread | Conference Final Edition | We Are All Kevin Bieksa

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Oilers have shown the ability to bounce back from bad performances these playoffs. But Florida is a very complete team with lots of experience and the best goalie they have faced thus far.
Florida didn't play their best at all played well got an outstanding performance from Bob .
Coilers same old story look who left forwards open or didn't catch their check coming back .

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Oilers have shown the ability to bounce back from bad performances these playoffs. But Florida is a very complete team with lots of experience and the best goalie they have faced thus far.

I don’t know that I would categorize Edmonton’s Game 1 performance as “poor” per se. Bouncing back from adversity, sure, but they showed up ready to play and ran into a brick wall in the form of Sergei Bobrovsky.

I think a far more interesting question was how does this look if Florida’s skaters show up and play the way they care capable of for a full 60. I didn’t think that was close to their best in Game 1.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
I don’t know that I would categorize Edmonton’s Game 1 performance as “poor” per se. Bouncing back from adversity, sure, but they showed up ready to play and ran into a brick wall in the form of Sergei Bobrovsky.

I think a far more interesting question was how does this look if Florida’s skaters show up and play the way they care capable of for a full 60. I didn’t think that was close to their best in Game 1.
3rd period was Florida's best and they didn't even score.

Like you said if they show up for a full 60, well then Edmonton has no chance.

Reactions: bbud

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

I don't really like this from an asset standpoint given that you can toss round 5-7 picks into trades to give the other team an illusion of value. At the same time, getting drafted is a pretty cool experience even if you don't end up making the NHL.

I can see the PA’s point, here - but the BOG and teams will counter that this will just let the rich, desirable markets continue to get richer when it comes to signing top undrafted prospects.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
That’s a genuinely fantastic idea imo

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
WHAT THE f***

"It won’t happen until July, but according to multiple sources, the Washington Capitals have reached an agreement to purchase the outstanding CapFriendly website.

These same sources stressed that both the Capitals and CapFriendly wanted the site to be publicly available and independently operated through the 2024 NHL Draft and the start of free agency, so it is not expected the sale will be official until at least July 5.

NHL teams that had agreements to use their tools/Application Programming Interface (API) recently received notice that these contracts would be terminated. This led to speculation that one club was buying the site, and all information pointed to the Capitals.

You can definitely see why a team would want this infrastructure. After the transaction officially closes, the website will go dark."

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
WHAT THE f***

"It won’t happen until July, but according to multiple sources, the Washington Capitals have reached an agreement to purchase the outstanding CapFriendly website.

These same sources stressed that both the Capitals and CapFriendly wanted the site to be publicly available and independently operated through the 2024 NHL Draft and the start of free agency, so it is not expected the sale will be official until at least July 5.

NHL teams that had agreements to use their tools/Application Programming Interface (API) recently received notice that these contracts would be terminated. This led to speculation that one club was buying the site, and all information pointed to the Capitals.

You can definitely see why a team would want this infrastructure. After the transaction officially closes, the website will go dark."

f***ing terrible news for hockey fans. Good for the site owners I guess that they cashed in on a terrific IP - but brutal news for fans who used it.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
WHAT THE f***

Game over, one of the best sites ever

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Great opportunity for someone to pop up and fill that niche. Rinse and repeat. Wasn't there already a cap website that got sold to a team?

Reactions: Hansen

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I can see the PA’s point, here - but the BOG and teams will counter that this will just let the rich, desirable markets continue to get richer when it comes to signing top undrafted prospects.

there's still a contract limit that most teams hover near at present. this won't really impact competitiveness at all and is a great change for the players. imo they should drop the 4th round too

Reactions: Hodgy

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Great opportunity for someone to pop up and fill that niche. Rinse and repeat. Wasn't there already a cap website that got sold to a team?

CapGeek was the original but was shut down rather than sold. Was due to the owners death.

There’s also PuckPedia which does many of the same things as Capfriendly but lacks the fun tools.

Reactions: Szechwan

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
CapGeek was the original but was shut down rather than sold. Was due to the owners death.

There’s also PuckPedia which does many of the same things as Capfriendly but lacks the fun tools.

Wasn't NHLNumbers the original? There was another as well. NHLCAP? But IIRC, NHLnumbers was the first really popular one. I believe it shut after the person running it got hired by an NHL team or something like that, although I might be confusing two different stories there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Wasn't NHLNumbers the original? There was another as well. NHLCAP? But IIRC, NHLnumbers was the first really popular one. I believe it shut after the person running it got hired by an NHL team or something like that, although I might be confusing two different stories there.

You’re right. I tried to figure it out quickly but was rebuked.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
You’re right. I tried to figure it out quickly but was rebuked.

Was it CapGeek where they effectively scooped like the entire hockey media by signings and transactions occasionally just appearing on the site before they'd been reported anywhere? IIRC, the speculation was that they knew someone who worked in whatever you'd call the department of the NHL that dealt with registering all the contracts and whatnot.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
This game was standard score effects shit - the Panthers took the lead early and defended until they won. Trying to attribute this as an 'Oilers outplayed the Panthers' is silly.

Nearly 3 of the Oilers expected goals were from the same powerplay, they're still only worth 1 goal if you score.

The Oilers only have 1 even strength goal in their last 3. We might be looking at a team running out of gas.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

I don't really like this from an asset standpoint given that you can toss round 5-7 picks into trades to give the other team an illusion of value. At the same time, getting drafted is a pretty cool experience even if you don't end up making the NHL.

Just limit the 4-7th rounder to like a year older or something.

I see only Bob showed up for the cats and they still won....
Having an exceptional goalie is a feature when he costs 10M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad