Around the League the First: Government Shutdown Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Good to see Dalpe score a goal last night, but does the discussion on Vancouver's board sound familiar to some of the discussions around here over the past few years?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=77169739&postcount=114

Dalpe has scored at every level up to the NHL, he has considerably more offensive talent than Jannik Hansen, yes I am aware he has yet to prove it at the NHL level, but with Hansen struggling and Kesler shooting at every chance he gets and not letting the play develop, does it really hurt to give someone like Dalpe a chance. Dalpe is motivated, has been biding his time in a 4th line role, for which his game does not translate to.

He is an offensive player, scorer and setup man, yet he has been given less minutes than David Booth and Jannik Hansen in any sort of offensive role and both of those guys have had brutal years offensively.

For a team starving to score goals, I would think people would be more open to giving other players a shot at scoring a few goals rather than sticking with the same old players grinding themselves into an ice hole. Don't get me wrong Kesler is our best goal scorer, but he is overall a poor fit(because he needs the puck to be successful, rather than being a complimentary player) with the Sedins and also kills any depth scoring that we potentially have.

WhiteTrashAmerican

WHY DID IT END
Nov 14, 2007
Durham, NC
I seriously can't remember a team having an easier schedule in an entire month than what we have in January. I mean, I'm sure we will sputter out of it with a .500 record anyways, but it is super easy.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
10 wins in the month is doable. May not happen but I'm still not seeing anyone in the metro running away with playoff spots except for the pens.

This month is the time to take advantage because I think the olympic break upcoming could just make things fester if we hit a tailspin.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Anyone see highlights from the flames game last night? Bishop snags the puck out of the air and Westgarth, who is screening him, turns and cross checks him to the ice.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Anyone see highlights from the flames game last night? Bishop snags the puck out of the air and Westgarth, who is screening him, turns and cross checks him to the ice.

Truculence. I saw that quickly go by on NHL network and wondered, what ******* did that. Guess that's my answer.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
So, barring a Philly comeback, we're one point out of the last spot in the Metro.

B-b-b-but this board said we were done when we were five points out and we should start focusing on the draft pick!!!!

I wonder if there was a certain nice poster who suggested we may not be done???

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
B-b-b-but this board said we were done when we were five points out and we should start focusing on the draft pick!!!!

I wonder if there was a certain nice poster who suggested we may not be done???

LOL no you in fact took the very SUGGESTION that we won't make the playoffs as completely absurd, when at the time we were 13th in the East.

Nice try though. ;)

EDIT: This, in fact, was the ONLY post that suggested we'd be bad, and what you reacted to:

I think the Canes have a really good shot at drafting high this summer. I think a top 4 pick is well within reach.

The Isles and Sabres are the only teams I see with absolutely little chance of passing the Canes in the standings.

Christ guys we are ONE point out of a playoff spot with every single one of our top forwards playing unsustainably badly. We've seen this movie a million times. Eric will turn elite in January, and we're in a much better playoff position now than the hole we typically have dug ourselves into at this point. It's more likely we make the playoffs than we pick top five, and it's not even close.

Holy overreaction Batman...

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
We're 17-16-9. That's not exactly a record to be excited about and certainly not one to be betting the playoffs on.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
But a week ago some of us were talking about how ****ed we are. It's important to put things in perspective.

It's a good thing the actual team doesn't panic as ridiculously bad as this board does. Such is the nature of pro sports, ebbs and flows. We just need a little more ebb...or flow. Not sure which one is good.

I'll go with flow. That sounds like a positive word.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Gleason scratched for the Leafs. They give up 7 goals...to the Rangers.

Odds that he'll be scratched next game?

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
LOL no you in fact took the very SUGGESTION that we won't make the playoffs as completely absurd, when at the time we were 13th in the East.

Nice try though. ;)

EDIT: This, in fact, was the ONLY post that suggested we'd be bad, and what you reacted to:

Holy overreaction Batman...

I said it's more likely we make the playoffs than pick top five which is clearly objectively true by any measure.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I said it's more likely we make the playoffs than pick top five which is clearly objectively true by any measure.

At the time you said it, the Canes had an 18% chance to make the playoffs, according to Sports Club Stats.

They were 13th in the East at the time. 23rd in the league, IIRC. If you want to talk objectively, I think you'd lose. And even if you didn't, it wouldn't be by "not even close," as you stated in your post.

Don't mean to be overly semantic here, but as long as you're trying to pretend your post is some "you against the world, only voice of reason" type thing, might as well throw some numbers in.

Love ya bud! :)

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So my Wild are still terrible, but now have a record to show for it.

They beat the Caps tonight, 5-3. They only put up 11 shots on goal throughout the entire game. According to the ESB, they're the first team to end the game with 5 goals on 11 shots since shots started being recorded as a stat.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So my Wild are still terrible, but now have a record to show for it.

They beat the Caps tonight, 5-3. They only put up 11 shots on goal throughout the entire game. According to the ESB, they're the first team to end the game with 5 goals on 11 shots since shots started being recorded as a stat.

:laugh:

That's awesome.

I think the Caps can blame their goaltending.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
At the time you said it, the Canes had an 18% chance to make the playoffs, according to Sports Club Stats.

They were 13th in the East at the time. 23rd in the league, IIRC. If you want to talk objectively, I think you'd lose. And even if you didn't, it wouldn't be by "not even close," as you stated in your post.

Don't mean to be overly semantic here, but as long as you're trying to pretend your post is some "you against the world, only voice of reason" type thing, might as well throw some numbers in.

Love ya bud! :)

Yeah no **** it wasn't likely at the time. That's why I use reasoning about the road ahead with Eric likely picking his game up and having a **** easy schedule the rest of the way. I was predicting that it would change, and so far I look objectively right by any measure.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yeah no **** it wasn't likely at the time. That's why I use reasoning about the road ahead with Eric likely picking his game up and having a **** easy schedule the rest of the way. I was predicting that it would change, and so far I look objectively right by any measure.

Something being objectively MORE LIKELY, mathematically, has nothing to do with the result. If it was OBJECTIVELY more likely that we get a top five pick than we make the playoffs, regardless of you having a nice prediction (which hasn't yet come true by any stretch of the imagination), the statement that he thinks we have a good shot at a top five pick isn't worth getting up in arms about, especially since you were actually talking about the CHANCES, not the result (by you saying it's MORE LIKELY they make the playoffs).

Your understanding of odds as they relate to logic is off a little bit, just a little.

Again, semantics in a silly argument. Sorry for bringing it up. I'll leave it.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Something being objectively MORE LIKELY, mathematically, has nothing to do with the result. If it was OBJECTIVELY more likely that we get a top five pick than we make the playoffs, regardless of you having a nice prediction (which hasn't yet come true by any stretch of the imagination), the statement that he thinks we have a good shot at a top five pick isn't worth getting up in arms about, especially since you were actually talking about the CHANCES, not the result (by you saying it's MORE LIKELY they make the playoffs).

Your understanding of odds as they relate to logic is off a little bit, just a little.

Again, semantics in a silly argument. Sorry for bringing it up. I'll leave it.

The point remains...

I was right in my analysis.

#AgainIAmRightInMyAnalysis #IamRite #UrRong #UKnowNothingHockey #Satin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad