Around the League - Pre-Season 2024-2025

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I'm gonna say Warsofsky wins the Jack Adams award.

I think San Jose will make the playoffs. They should at least end up a lot more respectable. That's what happens when you add a good coach to a bad team.

When you add a bad coach to a bad team you get the Ottawa Senaturds.

The Leafs are lucky to have three of the worst teams in their division. Buffalo, Ottawa, and Detroit have some of the longest playoffs droughts of all time. They'll all be adding another year after this one too.

That's what a foolish owner and bad GM can yield in pro sports.

You can make mistake after mistake so long as those chumps are around. Which this team does. Even with a GM who stinks at virtially every aspect of his job it's still a guaranteed pass to the playoffs.

You don't need the coach of the year when the competition beats itself.

If you think SJ will make the playoffs, you should put some money on it.
You will get an insane payout...

Screenshot (1542).png

Reactions: Antropovsky

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
If you think SJ will make the playoffs, you should put some money on it.
You will get an insane payout...

View attachment 913430

I'm basing this entirely off the one preseason game I've seen of them so far where they beat a Vegas team with all their regulars dressed.

I looked up Warsofsky's record. In the minor's it's excellent. Has a history of taking his team's to the finals and he won it all in the AHL with the Wolves not long ago.

If he can carry that success over to the NHL he could be a good young up and coming coach like Keefe was supposed to be.

Reactions: weems

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Wonder if Tampa's home opener is going to go?

Saturday night, and Milton is going to hit the coast Wednesday-Thursday, and it looks bad.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Rumours he wants a shorter term deal, likely to cash in one final big contract when the cap is much higher (just like Matthews is doing).
Big risk for a Goalie. I wouldn't say Tampa regrets it, but even Vasi, who is the guy, has the cups, the pedigree, the consistency. If you could get an honest answer from Tampa management they'd probably tell you that 10 million a year deal he has probably hasn't worked out that well for them.

Reactions: Antropovsky

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Big risk for a Goalie. I wouldn't say Tampa regrets it, but even Vasi, who is the guy, has the cups, the pedigree, the consistency. If you could get an honest answer from Tampa management they'd probably tell you that 10 million a year deal he has probably hasn't worked out that well for them.

Tampa won 1 before his current contract and won 1 during this contract.
Maybe another casualty of the CovidCap.
GM's expected growth, fans expected growth ... didn't happen.

Panthers have Cup winning $10mm keeper.

Carey Price ... health issues.

Would you rather have at $13mm?
Matthews
Shesterkin
Draisaitl

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Tampa won 1 before his current contract and won 1 during this contract.
Maybe another casualty of the CovidCap.
GM's expected growth, fans expected growth ... didn't happen.

Panthers have Cup winning $10mm keeper.

Carey Price ... health issues.

Would you rather have at $13mm?
Matthews
Shesterkin
Draisaitl
It's a good question. Goaltending is so important but on the other hand I'd say it's easier to find value at the goalie position.

Any given year the top 5 goalies includes guys who were waiver fodder a season or two before and guys who will be waiver fodder again in a year or two.

You talk about Bryzgalov but as great as he's been the last 2 playoffs he was playing backup to Florida's 3rd stringer down the stretch 2 years ago, and if Florida could have found someone to take him off their hands they absolutely would have paid assets for someone to take him.

You can be predict who the top 5-10 forwards any given year are going to be pretty confidently though.

To summarize, I don't know which I'd rather. I think it's risky fir Shesterkin to turn that down though.

Reactions: ULF_55

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
That’s an incredibly dumb and greedy move from Shesterkin

Goalie volatility is real and trying to squeeze an extra million out is begging for karma to bite back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad