Around the League - Pre-Season 2024-2025

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Could have been a suspension - debatably late, blind side.

But no head contact, Stutzle smacks himself in the face with his own stick.

Attempted to throw a dirty hit but didn't connect. I'd call it a suspension but based on how the NHL does things it doesn't look like a suspension to me.

Attempted to throw an elbow, late, blind side.... just kind of didn't fully connect. Given what's happened, I thought it should have been a game, just to calm him down a little bit before something egregious happens. But, the league is sending out a statement that they are ok with this. The problem is, there probably won't be any consistency.

horner

May 22, 2007
To stop all of this crap going on in the preseason fines and suspensions should be double.
The suspension is for the regular season .

I also think the referees are the issue not calling stuff .
was the JT hit a penalty.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Attempted to throw an elbow, late, blind side.... just kind of didn't fully connect. Given what's happened, I thought it should have been a game, just to calm him down a little bit before something egregious happens. But, the league is sending out a statement that they are ok with this. The problem is, there probably won't be any consistency.

I would guess Xhekaj makes a boneheaded play over the next 2 weeks, media is up in arms and we look back on his pre-season track record and wonder why this went unpunished... and then we will all be surprised to learn that Xhekaj is actually Parros' son:

1727883464874.png

1727883485610.png

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Could have been a suspension - debatably late, blind side.

But no head contact, Stutzle smacks himself in the face with his own stick.

Attempted to throw a dirty hit but didn't connect. I'd call it a suspension but based on how the NHL does things it doesn't look like a suspension to me.
As an impartial habs fan... let me give you a few mins to stop laughing, here are my thoughts on Arber in general and his last 2 games in particular.

Assuming Hutson makes the team, I don't think he makes the team as a regular in the top 6. On left D they have Matheson and Hutson so its down to Xhekaj and Struble for that 3rd spot. Struble is better defensively and brings a physical element too. Best case he splits time with Struble. Struble has had a great camp, he is not being sent down. (both can be sent down without waivers).

If/when the habs start wanting to be competitive, Xhekaj is a luxury you can't afford in terms of the dumb penalties. Say he dresses in game one and mixes it up with Reaves and they both get 5 or both get 5 and 10 because the ref wants to end things now. In that scenario Leafs have a 4th line winger sitting in box for a period and Habs play a period with 5 D - who wins that exchange?

Worst case scenario he gets himself a 2, 5 and like he did 2 games ago. Even if you some how kill the major penalty you play the rest of the game down a D. A pure enforcer type on D does not work in todays game and if he is not bringing that element others like Struble are better.

He as also earned himself a rep with the Refs- he will not be getting the benefit of the doubt. His hit last night on Stutzle was not that different than Greigs on Dach. Both were late, both appeared to target the head area but neither connected. I am more than happy to give 5 and a game for those type of hits whether the head is principal point of contact or not. Greig's was called a major reviewed and down graded to 2 mins cause head was not principal pt of contact. Arber's while it looked violent was similar he hit Stutzle's arms gloves which drove stutzle's stick into his own face. So even though refs had benefit of replay he still gets 5 and a game. Again I think both deserve 5 and game but that's not how league plays these. If that was a regular season game he cost his team 2 pts.

2 games ago against you guys, he goes after Pare and gets 2, 5, and a game. Again hard to argue that was not deserved but for shits and giggles lets compare that to what happened after his hit on Stutzle last night. Brady Tkachack, jumps Xhekaj, drops his gloves and starts punching. Not that different than what he did to Pare the difference being it was immediate and Xhekaj did try to fight back. Brady got a 2 min roughing penalty for that, I agree its probably not 2 5 and a game but how is jumping a guy and throwing multiple punches roughing only.

Xhekaj has built his rep with the Refs and will struggle to get benefit of the doubt. He will cost habs more in bad penalties than his deterrence brings. If the goal is just to have him play D- others are better. So its either get better defensively to beat out a Struble, or learn how to play wing on the 4th line and beat up a Tkachuck every chance you get.

My bet is he is not in the lineup against you guys opening game.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
As an impartial habs fan... let me give you a few mins to stop laughing, here are my thoughts on Arber in general and his last 2 games in particular.

Assuming Hutson makes the team, I don't think he makes the team as a regular in the top 6. On left D they have Matheson and Hutson so its down to Xhekaj and Struble for that 3rd spot. Struble is better defensively and brings a physical element too. Best case he splits time with Struble. Struble has had a great camp, he is not being sent down. (both can be sent down without waivers).

If/when the habs start wanting to be competitive, Xhekaj is a luxury you can't afford in terms of the dumb penalties. Say he dresses in game one and mixes it up with Reaves and they both get 5 or both get 5 and 10 because the ref wants to end things now. In that scenario Leafs have a 4th line winger sitting in box for a period and Habs play a period with 5 D - who wins that exchange?

Worst case scenario he gets himself a 2, 5 and like he did 2 games ago. Even if you some how kill the major penalty you play the rest of the game down a D. A pure enforcer type on D does not work in todays game and if he is not bringing that element others like Struble are better.

He as also earned himself a rep with the Refs- he will not be getting the benefit of the doubt. His hit last night on Stutzle was not that different than Greigs on Dach. Both were late, both appeared to target the head area but neither connected. I am more than happy to give 5 and a game for those type of hits whether the head is principal point of contact or not. Greig's was called a major reviewed and down graded to 2 mins cause head was not principal pt of contact. Arber's while it looked violent was similar he hit Stutzle's arms gloves which drove stutzle's stick into his own face. So even though refs had benefit of replay he still gets 5 and a game. Again I think both deserve 5 and game but that's not how league plays these. If that was a regular season game he cost his team 2 pts.

2 games ago against you guys, he goes after Pare and gets 2, 5, and a game. Again hard to argue that was not deserved but for shits and giggles lets compare that to what happened after his hit on Stutzle last night. Brady Tkachack, jumps Xhekaj, drops his gloves and starts punching. Not that different than what he did to Pare the difference being it was immediate and Xhekaj did try to fight back. Brady got a 2 min roughing penalty for that, I agree its probably not 2 5 and a game but how is jumping a guy and throwing multiple punches roughing only.

Xhekaj has built his rep with the Refs and will struggle to get benefit of the doubt. He will cost habs more in bad penalties than his deterrence brings. If the goal is just to have him play D- others are better. So its either get better defensively to beat out a Struble, or learn how to play wing on the 4th line and beat up a Tkachuck every chance you get.

My bet is he is not in the lineup against you guys opening game.
This is a very impartial and balanced analysis, thanks.

Yes, Xhekaj now has a reputation that precedes him. It was like when we had Bunting. It's not fair, but it is understandable and it is what it is.

The only detail I would question was in the comparison to Brady Tkachuk's response. It wasn't form behind and it didn't include a defenseless player being punched several times. It was more of an attack than Tkachuk was. It was also not a reaction in the heat of the moment, it was minutes later therefore had the pre-meditated element as well.

My perspective on this doesn't change the substance of your response.

Reactions: CDN24

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Now that Arber Jackass has laid out another cheap hit, can we expect a two week ongoing thread like Rielly got earlier this year?:sarcasm:

Reactions: Lilou

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Now that Arber Jackass has laid out another cheap hit, can we expect a two week ongoing thread like Rielly got earlier this year?:sarcasm:

Absolutely not. That donkey is going to do something else shortly to create a new thread.

horner

May 22, 2007
Love what Boston going through with Swayman.
For years and year players have been giving them team friendly deal , not anymore.

This will happen to TBay especially letting stamkos go and Florida

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad