Around the League - Pre-Season 2024-2025

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Just too sad ... so many ruined families

RIP Johnny Gaudreau - Stickied for now

Such a senseless loss. Can't imagine what the parents/family are dealing with. Cruel.
forums.hfboards.com
forums.hfboards.com

Last edited by a moderator:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I also think Jim Benning would be a good top amateur scout.

I rarely post outside of our board, but as someone who suffered through the Reign of Error in its entirety, I sincerely disagree.

Commando Dimbo is the kind of man you'd want to keep at least 200 kms away from any businesses that you care about. The man is such an unbelievable moron that his mere presence will poison the team and spread like a plague.

Stay, AWAY, from that fat dobber.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Saros apparently getting a 8 year extension. Wonder if that puts Askarov on the market unless they planning a sign and trade.

Reactions: Menzinger

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I think he is a stud.
I think they should just stop lying to us and rename the Norris Trophy from "Best Defenseman in the NHL" to "Best OFFENSIVE Defenseman in the NHL", because since the days of Bourque, the Norris rarely goes to the best D-man in the NHL, but rather the one that scores the most points. Quinn Hughes is a forward masquerading as a D-man, but that description covers so many recent winners that the Norris has turned into a farce.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think they should just stop lying to us and rename the Norris Trophy from "Best Defenseman in the NHL" to "Best OFFENSIVE Defenseman in the NHL", because since the days of Bourque, the Norris rarely goes to the best D-man in the NHL, but rather the one that scores the most points. Quinn Hughes is a forward masquerading as a D-man, but that description covers so many recent winners that the Norris has turned into a farce.
Fair criticism, but I worry you could get into a lot of selke type bullshit where good defense becomes reputation based and/service award

Reactions: Jojalu

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
He is not nearly as bad as people claim in his own end.

He is by no means a physical shut down guy, but he is quick to retrieve pucks, and get it out of danger.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It was a close competition for me, but I ultimately agreed with the decision to have Hughes win the award.

Reactions: Jojalu

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Can the Leafs just do something?

Vancouver has already made about 5 moves this year. They were in game 7 of the second round and now want to build on it.

Leafs havn't even resigned a depth player for crying out loud

Reactions: Al14

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The NHL announced their annual season-ending All-Star teams as part of last night’s award festivities. The rosters, as voted on by members of the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association, are as follows.

First All-Star Team

LW: Artemi Panarin (Rangers)
C: Nathan MacKinnon (Avalanche)
RW: Nikita Kucherov (Lightning)
D: Quinn Hughes (Canucks)
D: Roman Josi (Predators)
G: Connor Hellebuyck (Jets)

Second All-Star Team

LW: Filip Forsberg (Predators)
C: Connor McDavid (Oilers)
RW: David Pastrňák (Bruins)
D: Adam Fox (Rangers)
D: Cale Makar (Avalanche)
G: Thatcher Demko (Canucks)

Absent from either team is Maple Leafs superstar Auston Matthews, whose 69 goals this season were the most of anyone since Mario Lemieux in 1995-96. He also fell short of being a Hart Trophy finalist behind Kucherov, MacKinnon and McDavid.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
The NHL announced their annual season-ending All-Star teams as part of last night’s award festivities. The rosters, as voted on by members of the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association, are as follows.

First All-Star Team

LW: Artemi Panarin (Rangers)
C: Nathan MacKinnon (Avalanche)
RW: Nikita Kucherov (Lightning)
D: Quinn Hughes (Canucks)
D: Roman Josi (Predators)
G: Connor Hellebuyck (Jets)

Second All-Star Team

LW: Filip Forsberg (Predators)
C: Connor McDavid (Oilers)
RW: David Pastrňák (Bruins)
D: Adam Fox (Rangers)
D: Cale Makar (Avalanche)
G: Thatcher Demko (Canucks)

Absent from either team is Maple Leafs superstar Auston Matthews, whose 69 goals this season were the most of anyone since Mario Lemieux in 1995-96. He also fell short of being a Hart Trophy finalist behind Kucherov, MacKinnon and McDavid.
Most likely because McDavid an Mack had equally or better years.

Odd how you left out that he was a finalist for the Lindsay, Selke, and Lady Byng.

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
15. To tighten the draft, the NHL leans on teams to cut down the pre-selection welcomes — shouting out the hometown party, congratulating the Stanley Cup champ, etc. In the first round, no one mentioned Florida. I’ve never seen that before. And one Panther reached out to say he thought it was an absolute joke

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

What's the point of the unsportsmanlike misconduct penalty.

I get they don't want players sitting on the boards in case play goes there. But how is that unsportsmanlike. If anything they could have just called it a bench minor and give it to the coach for not controlling his players.

Other than the player on the boards, instead of the ice, I don't see why it would be any different than a "too many men" penalty.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
What's the point of the unsportsmanlike misconduct penalty.

I get they don't want players sitting on the boards in case play goes there. But how is that unsportsmanlike. If anything they could have just called it a bench minor and give it to the coach for not controlling his players.

Other than the player on the boards, instead of the ice, I don't see why it would be any different than a "too many men" penalty.
A bench minor gives the coach the choice of player to put in the box, this way THAT player is punished.

I don’t love this rule in general, but that seems like a valid reason for that specification.

Reactions: TMLBlueandWhite

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
15. To tighten the draft, the NHL leans on teams to cut down the pre-selection welcomes — shouting out the hometown party, congratulating the Stanley Cup champ, etc. In the first round, no one mentioned Florida. I’ve never seen that before. And one Panther reached out to say he thought it was an absolute joke
I thought it was great, cutting all that crap moved things along nicely. I prefer to think the league didn't tell the teams to do it, it's just nobody likes the Panthers. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: LiseL and ULF_55

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad