Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
League could run 12 months a year here and no one would stop watching or complain
Except when they did stop watching. Previous year ratings haven’t been great and if Florida was playing in Dallas tonight it wouldn’t draw near the attention.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Cogliano is a good Italian boy, what a solid career. That's an iron man, someone who works in the garden all weekend. Someone who waters the driveway to get out of cleaning chores. I'd bring back Giordano and Spezza just to keep the paisans on the team

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
It’s more shocking that Americans are watching it, if they are.

In the past Canadians didn’t watch the finals, either.
Yes but that changes with a Canadian team in the finals.

If Mon or Tor was in the finals the numbers would be through the roof

Reactions: ToneDog

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
It's so hard for teams to win 4 in a row, but Edmonton has looked really good from what I've seen. Mcdavid is on a roll and two games away from his first cup.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
The Leafs were never trading JVR and Bozak after they made the playoffs in 16-17. They were one of the few veterans on the team at the time and it was also part of the reason Marleau was brought in.

Everything you're complaining about is because of hindsight. That 17-18 team? They had 105 points largely on the backs of their young players. That's not a team that's rebuilding anymore, especially after making the playoffs the previous season.

It's hard to say what Lou wouldn't have/would have done if he stayed on longer. I am pretty confident Tavares would not have been a Leaf if he stayed though. Lou does not have a history of giving mega dollar contracts in UFA. Marleau is actually his biggest in terms of cap hit straight from UFA.
I was aware they weren't going to trade JVR and Bozak. The TML management and the TML fans are a perfect match made in heaven because they are the exact same overly emotional, inconsistent, impulsive, impatient bunch and this is reflected in what the fans demand and what the management does. Then the fans turn around and start complaining about the management. There is no better fit in the world of sports than the TML management and the TML fans. It's some manifestation stuff.

None of what I'm complaining about is hindsight. I had a different account on here or else I would show my posts if I could still find them. Some of us had the foresight to see that other teams like Chicago and Penguins had done a proper rebuild from scratch with elite pieces supported by a strong supporting cast and didn't gung-ho crazy at the first smell of success. Some of us knew that we begged for a rebuild for ages and it would be hypocritical to turn and want to abandon what we craved for so long so early because we got in our emotions again. All of us knew this constant re-tool was not the answer and we had to go all the way for a rebuild. The problem is that's what the management promised, and that's what the fans claimed they wanted. Then neither management nor the fans had the willingness, maturity, or patience or whatever you want to call it to actually stick through with what they claimed they wanted. None of this was hindsight for me and lots of others - it was simply being mature and patient enough to know that team that faced the caps was never going to win and it would be a much better strategy to focus on our original goal. When management was questioned on this, there was a plethora of quotes coming from management that basically summed up to - YOLO! Yolo is what got us in this mess for all these years and why we wanted a proper rebuild yet everyone decided to go right back to it as soon as we had a good regular season. Stuff like "we never know what will happen next year and you never know if you'll ever get to compete for a cup again" etc etc was common to hear from Shanny/Lou/Mike.

In the case of what you're saying, the Lou of Toronto was clearly a different animal than the one in New Jersey. If he gave a 37 year old Marleau a SIX MILLION THREE YEAR contract you can bet your backside he would chase after a 27 year old John Tavares when on paper that contract at the time appears a lot better than the Marleau contract at the time it was signed. This is why I can't take these criticisms that hate Dubas but excuse Lou as anything but some kind of bias because Dubas comes across as a nerdy looking leftie. Because he merely continued the rushed rebuild that his predecessor started. You can't apply the principle that Dubas shouldn't have bolstered a good offensive group for leadership and depth and Lou wouldn't do that when Lou did exactly just that. I hated not trading JVR and Bozak, I hated the Tavares signing, I hated acquiring Boyle, I hated acquiring Coastleau. By the way at the time of the signing there was almost complete consensus that Tavares was a good signing on here - at least 80% of posters seemed happy about it and when pushed back asking why we should abandon what we wanted to get away from i.e. chasing high profile UFAs in the latter stages of their career constantly on over paid contracts especially this early in a rebuild rather than as a final piece for a team that's proven it can succeed in the playoffs, the response was met with "you don't pass on a player like this when available". If you hated the Tavares signing, which I doubt because most here didn't, then by the same principle you should have hated the Marleau one.

At the end of the day, nothing about this team will change because the fanbase will attract a management that is exactly like it and people who aren't interested in seeing something through are less likely to succeed.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Considering we made the playoffs by like 2points in the first year of AM's era. IF only Tampa Bay was healthy that year and played better than us by a lot that season. They really should had stick to rebuilding and see what Bozak, Polak, Leo, JVR and others vets can fetch at the TDL instead of spending it on Boyle.
Imagine we were in the draft lottery and got Makar. Jason Robertson in the 2nd round, along with both Scott and Swayman, lol.

That was the beginning of the insanity. People tried to tell me the team as done rebuilding when they tried to justify the JT signing. They had potential to build something and royally screwed it up.
Time will tell, but maybe it’s all for naught, considering Matthews is the supposed leader.
we will never learn. This same situation will play out in 15 years after Matthews Nylander et. al retire and we will be at the same point during a rebuild and the fans and management will react in the exact same way. This team could have easily been competing for cups right now if it just stuck with its original plan. Kadri Nylander Matthews Verhaeghe Marner Joshua Domi plus some good drafting plus some good trades off loading older players along with a few 1-2 other big forwards from trades/picks is a very strong core that can do it all. We only had to trade Verhaeghe because of having too much forward depth and too many contracts... and then we couldn't score in the playoffs while he lights it up. It's almost poetic.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'd be really curious to see that breakdown of where in NA the audience is located.
This was a survey, not the viewership... but it perhaps gives some context.

Unsurprisingly, Albertans (58 per cent) are the most likely to be following the Oilers in the Stanley Cup final. Fifty-three per cent of respondents in the Atlantic provinces say they’re following, while 42 per cent of those surveyed in Ontario, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan are interested.

Quebec is the most disinterested, with 70 per cent saying they are not following the final round of the NHL’s playoffs.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Unsurprisingly, Albertans (58 per cent) are the most likely to be following the Oilers in the Stanley Cup final. Fifty-three per cent of respondents in the Atlantic provinces say they’re following, while 42 per cent of those surveyed in Ontario, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan are interested.

Quebec is the most disinterested, with 70 per cent saying they are not following the final round of the NHL’s playoffs.
Interesting I assumed it was viewers given it quoted 8.5M viewers watched Game 5

Reactions: Jojalu

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019

I would be curious what percentage of people in Ontario are cheering for Edmonton. It is interesting that results show a quarter of Americans are following the finals. I would have guessed the number is much much smaller than that.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I really wish they would have the Anthems and all this other stuff done by 8:00 if that’s the time the game starts.
The baseball game starts at 7, it starts at 7. Not a half hour later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad