Around the league part 2

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
You gotta attack the Oilers poor defense and shaky goaltending, sitting back in a conservative system plays into their hands. It's why the Oilers are such a horrendous match-up for the Kings
Sitting back and hoping you can out-defend the Oilers is stupid. Of the 19 games the Oilers have lost since the All Star Break, their opponent scored 4 or more in 13 of them. You can't hope to win 2-1 or 3-2 against this team. You have to go out there and OUTSCORE them.

Reactions: tigermask48

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I notice the survey for Utah's name is being done by Qualtrics. That's Ryan Smith's company (team owner)

Is it normal for teams to do these kinds of surveys when making branding/naming decisions?

I always wonder why teams don't do this more when it comes to stuff like that. Like it would be great if the Kings could make a uniform decision based on fan surveys.

It's almost like Utah's owner gives a f*** what the fans want.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I notice the survey for Utah's name is being done by Qualtrics. That's Ryan Smith's company (team owner)

Is normal for teams to do these kinds of survey when making branding/naming decisions?

I always wonder why teams don't do this more when it comes to stuff like that. Like it would be great if the Kings could make a uniform decision based on fan surveys.

He seems to truly deeply care as evidenced with his meetings with players and such as well.

Making it really easy to root for them in lieu of these bozos.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He seems to truly deeply care as evidenced with his meetings with players and such as well.

Making it really easy to root for them in lieu of these bozos.
I'm a bit jealous of them.

Visible owner who wants to win. Plenty of cap space. No bad contracts. Lots of draft capital and prospects / young players.

Creating a franchise with new uniforms and name is always exciting. New arena on the horizon. Excited hungry fanbase.

No where to go but up.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Is it normal for teams to do these kinds of surveys when making branding/naming decisions?

What, you don't like the Kings uniforms and logo? They look great on my B&W HDTV.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Anyone who has been to Salt Lake City knows the team name should have something to do with mountains. Some time ago Salt Lake City had a team named the Golden Eagles.

As an aside, the University of Utah used to have a sign around their campus and many fans had bumper stickers, etc. that said, "Welcome to Pac-12 Country". I guess all those had to come down.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Anyone who has been to Salt Lake City knows the team name should have something to do with mountains. Some time ago Salt Lake City had a team named the Golden Eagles.

As an aside, the University of Utah used to have a sign around their campus and many fans had bumper stickers, etc. that said, "Welcome to Pac-12 Country". I guess all those had to come down.

Ah yes, the Salt Lake City Golden Eagles of the IHL. 1987 and 88 Turner Cup champs.

Remember my brother going there to watch his good buddy play. he gave him a team jacket (still has it) and stayed over at his place during his visit down there. He was rooming with Stu Grimson! :laugh:

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i'm always a bit taken aback by the complete hatred for the black and white, i've always thought it's a good clean distinguishable uniform

obviously i would love for the full-blown forum blue/gold throwbacks to return but i don't get the love affair with the 00s purple. dated and tainted with bad memories

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
i'm always a bit taken aback by the complete hatred for the black and white, i've always thought it's a good clean distinguishable uniform

obviously i would love for the full-blown forum blue/gold throwbacks to return but i don't get the love affair with the 00s purple. dated and tainted with bad memories
I agree. I like simple designs as well as complex ones, so I don't even hate the homeplate.

But I think the bigger issue is that there seems to be a better response for the purple and gold, and emblematic of what the Kings are doing now, fan feedback is secondary to Luc's wants and needs.

Although now, for me, it's tougher to reconcile a rebranding of the jersey as that's what the Kings won their cups with. So, there's sentimentality on that side.

But I'd also be fine with changing jerseys if the masses like it more. The jerseys are always gorgeous.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I agree. I like simple designs as well as complex ones, so I don't even hate the homeplate.

But I think the bigger issue is that there seems to be a better response for the purple and gold, and emblematic of what the Kings are doing now, fan feedback is secondary to Luc's wants and needs.

Although now, for me, it's tougher to reconcile a rebranding of the jersey as that's what the Kings won their cups with. So, there's sentimentality on that side.

But I'd also be fine with changing jerseys if the masses like it more. The jerseys are always gorgeous.

Yeah that's my concern with it. The most recent kits especially are so clean, and I actually like the chrome domes, too

But it's the f*** off attitude towards the purple and gold that are the best 3rds...like, ever. They made them impossible to get and customize and then were like 'yeah fan response sucked ANYWAY here's another black and white jersey, never mind that we can't get rid of an entire rack of Petersen whites"

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

It's not just the colors though. The current uniforms looks very amateurish.

I remember the first time I saw them at the draft. I didn't believe it. I didn't think they were real. I thought "That's cute, they let Luc's nephew make his own little jersey design for fun or something".

Reactions: KINGS17

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica

The Wild did it when Minnesota got it's second team. I remember they had people submit name ideas via mail and then the best ones had a poll in "Let's Play Hockey" the regional hockey publication for the state.

Gave the team a real nice vibe, of the people choosing the name and being involved from day 1 of the franchise's existence.

Reactions: johnjm22

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Sportsnet had a clip of an interview with Hyman before the game yesterday. they asked him about the second round and he said something to the effect of, "be nice to play some tougher competition". He was not wrong.
What a f***ing joke the Kings are. Hes absolutely right. It was so embarrassing because in game 4 and 5 McDavid stopped trying.

Can you imagine how bad a team must be playing where their best player knows he can take these games off during the playoffs ? that shit was so embarassing. After he tied lemiuexs record or beat it during game 1 for the amount of points he recorded in one game.

Luc “the game was right there”. You have to be on crack to even say something that stupid. If you’re out in 5 then it was never close

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
What a moment.

438172734_467748645596520_8190103193925177153_n.jpg

Reactions: Shellz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad