Around the League - OFFSEASON?!

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
We have temporarily stickied a Johnny Gaudreau thread for further discussions.

Just too sad ... so many ruined families

RIP Johnny Gaudreau - Stickied for now

Such a senseless loss. Can't imagine what the parents/family are dealing with. Cruel.
forums.hfboards.com
forums.hfboards.com

Last edited by a moderator:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Being GM for the Leafs definitely helps...where's that GM for Columbus that thinks the same way as Dubas? I'm certain if Dubas was GM for the Coyotes, he wouldn't be in the same position. Don't downplay all the exposure and coverage he received as GM for the Leafs, that he wouldn't have received being GM for a smaller franchise base. He has alot to be thankful for Shanahan and MLSE, despite the way he left.

Chayka was talked about a lot, I am not sure what you're talking about.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Is he a GM or President of Hockey Ops right now?

You may want to look into how he left the NHL, but he cost the Coyotes a first and second and was seeking other job opportunities while employed.

I don't think he will ever be employed by an NHL team again.

On January 25, 2021, Chayka was suspended from working in the NHL for the remainder of the 2021 calendar year. NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman cited "conduct detrimental to the league and game", and further ruled that Chayka had "breached his obligation to the club" by pursuing opportunities with other clubs while still under contract with the Arizona Coyotes, and then terminating his contract with three years remaining.[7] Chayka and the Coyotes were later revealed to have hosted a private scouting combine for draft prospects, which is strictly forbidden by the NHL.[8] The Coyotes were subsequently forced to forfeit their second-round selection in the 2020 draft and their first-round pick in the 2021 draft.[8]

Not sure how it is even relevant anyway, lots of former Leaf management don't have jobs.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
You may want to look into how he left the NHL, but he cost the Coyotes a first and second and was seeking other job opportunities while employed.

I don't think he will ever be employed by an NHL team again.
I know about that story. My point is being GM of the Leafs is a big, big deal, and Dubas was fortunate Shanahan gave him the job. I think Dubas would have wrecked the Avalanche if he went there, but they were fortunate to hire Sakic instead.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I know about that story. My point is being GM of the Leafs is a big, big deal, and Dubas was fortunate Shanahan gave him the job. I think Dubas would have wrecked the Avalanche if he went there, but they were fortunate to hire Sakic instead.

Being Leafs GM is irrelevant... Do you think executives look at the logo on the jersey instead of the body of work? This point is nonsense.

You can argue the body of work, but the executives who hired him thought he made good moves as GM.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Assuming you got it from this site: Director of Player Personnel Job Description

Did you just skip everything else they do by accident? Sounds like they help recruit players and evaluate talent as well. It explains why Armstrong is talking about him helping to build the team...
Wasn't the intention to berate the job. Wasn't long ago where Mark Hunter was the Leafs director of player personnel and he oversaw the amateur scouting and player evaluations.

What they'd do on a format like the four nations I have no idea, there's not much to do with amateur scouting and the player evaluations associated with it.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Being Leafs GM is irrelevant... Do you think executives look at the logo on the jersey instead of the body of work? This point is nonsense.

You can argue the body of work, but the executives who hired him thought he made good moves as GM.
You could believe what you want. Dubas got a lot of exposure from the media, whether traditional or social media being Leafs' GM...it's almost free and constant advertising...you could argue that he might have gotten similar exposure if he was GM for the Rangers, Detroit or Chicago, but it's non-sensical to suggest being Leafs' GM is irrelevant.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Wasn't the intention to berate the job. Wasn't long ago where Mark Hunter was the Leafs director of player personnel and he oversaw the amateur scouting and player evaluations.

What they'd do on a format like the four nations I have no idea, there's not much to do with amateur scouting and the player evaluations associated with it.

I agree, I don't think these roles do a whole lot, and I don't think current people in management would take the roles if they did.

There is probably agreement among the top ~10 forwards, top ~5 D, and top ~2 goalies, and then they go back and forth on who else should be on the team and make decisions around that, I don't think it is a super stressful job.

I just don't see a world where the management of NHL teams agrees to be personal assistants to the players of Team Canada, which is sort of what is being described. Especially one who is often described as being full of himself or thinking he is the smartest person in the room on this board.

You could believe what you want. Dubas got a lot of exposure from the media, whether traditional or social media being Leafs' GM...it's almost free and constant advertising...you could argue that he might have gotten similar exposure if he was GM for the Rangers, Detroit or Chicago, but it's non-sensical to suggest being Leafs' GM is irrelevant.

Ya, I don't buy into media playing a big role here, I don't think the Penguins' executive team watched TSN to find their next hire.

They likely asked around the league and people they know who had experience with management throughout the league.

Why use media when you have contacts who know people personally? It makes 0 sense to me.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I agree, I don't think these roles do a whole lot, and I don't think current people in management would take the roles if they did.

There is probably agreement among the top ~10 forwards, top ~5 D, and top ~2 goalies, and then they go back and forth on who else should be on the team and make decisions around that, I don't think it is a super stressful job.

I just don't see a world where the management of NHL teams agrees to be personal assistants to the players of Team Canada, which is sort of what is being described. Especially one who is often described as being full of himself or thinking he is the smartest person in the room on this board.

Ya, I don't buy into media playing a big role here, I don't think the Penguins' executive team watched TSN to find their next hire.

They likely asked around the league and people they know who had experience with management throughout the league.

Why use media when you have contacts who know people personally? It makes 0 sense to me.
Penguins hired him pretty quickly as if they are already familiar with him...you don't get that brand recognition being GM for a small market team unless you've made a serious impact, like leading them to the finals or a championship.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Penguins hired him pretty quickly as if they are already familiar with him...you don't get that brand recognition being GM for a small market team unless you've made a serious impact, like leading them to the finals or a championship.

Agree to disagree.

You can think that Toronto media chooses the GMs of a team and I'll choose to think that executives do their due diligence.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Agree to disagree.

You can think that Toronto media chooses the GMs of a team and I'll choose to think that executives do their due diligence.
I did not say it's ALL due to him being GM of the Leafs', but it's a big part of it...in the NHL grand scheme of things, Dubas had little name recognition before Shanahan hired him to be assistant GM under Lou and also run the Marlies, before being promoted to Leafs' GM...Dubas is not a Hall of Famer like Ron Francis or Joe Sakic, who everybody knows in the NHL circle...why would any respectable NHL franchise like the Pens hire Dubas for such an important role to lead their Hockey Operations if he wasn't GM of the Leafs? (If Dubas fails in Pittsburg, those executives could say they did their due diligence because they hired the ex-GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs).

Yeah, agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I think people just underestimate that other people in hockey think he is good at his job... not shocking people are trying to find reasons to justify their views on him, just funny that I was going to post that people would start saying his role is pointless or that no one else wanted it and it is already happening.
He was the only one to say yes!
The director of player personnel is just there to organize team dinners!
Crosby secretly decided everything!
Nobody cares about the tournament that I'm actively posting about!
The decision was based on the size of the media landscape of his former team because reasons!

Some pretty wild takes going around, to avoid acknowledging that this person that some have vilified in their mind is actually good at his job and is highly coveted and respected in the hockey world.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
To say media exposure doesn't influence the perception of an individual is a hilarious take.
It's because that reality doesn't fit in with some folks' narrative - who are still tying his bootstraps - that Dubas is a self-made genius...he didn't need any help getting into the Leafs organization, he didn't need Shanahan's helping hand to become GM of the Leafs...that Dubas is the second coming of Billy Beane...when in fact, Dubas is the opposite of Billy Beane...Billy Beane is who he is because he made the A's extraordinarily competitive while on an extremely tight budget...while Dubas failed as Leafs GM with the full resources and backing of the Leafs organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad