Around the League - OFFSEASON?!

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
We have temporarily stickied a Johnny Gaudreau thread for further discussions.

Just too sad ... so many ruined families

RIP Johnny Gaudreau - Stickied for now

Such a senseless loss. Can't imagine what the parents/family are dealing with. Cruel.
forums.hfboards.com
forums.hfboards.com

Last edited by a moderator:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Maybe he was only one to accept?
I doubt it. Every hockey guy wants to be associated with these Teams.
I guess his job is like a Personal Assistant to the Players? Set up dinners, make sure their families are looked after, stuff like that.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I doubt it. Every hockey guy wants to be associated with these Teams.
I guess his job is like a Personal Assistant to the Players? Set up dinners, make sure their families are looked after, stuff like that.

I think people just underestimate that other people in hockey think he is good at his job... not shocking people are trying to find reasons to justify their views on him, just funny that I was going to post that people would start saying his role is pointless or that no one else wanted it and it is already happening.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I think people just underestimate that other people in hockey think he is good at his job... not shocking people are trying to find reasons to justify their views on him, just funny that I was going to post that people would start saying his role is pointless or that no one else wanted it and it is already happening.
We have no idea how he is viewed around the league. I'm guessing like most, some would like him and some wouldn't.
They wouldn't have a pointless role.
What do you think his role entails?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I'm sure being from the Leafs did not hurt his cause.

Being from Penguins ... when they didn't even make the playoffs ... unlikely to move the needle.

Reactions: Superstar

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Who do we see Marner lining up with?
Mackinnon?
McDavid?
Crosby?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

On the other hand you might be over estimating the prestige of the Four Nations Cup. They could have hired Tate McRae and Justin Bieber to pick Team Canada since it’s basically the All-Star Game draft.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
On the other hand you might be over estimating the prestige of the Four Nations Cup. They could have hired Tate McRae and Justin Bieber to pick Team Canada since it’s basically the All-Star Game draft.

I don't think it matters all that much to be honest, but some people are so miserable they need to come in and try to diminish the role to something it is not...

Hockey Canada does seem to try to go out and get the best people they can for these roles, so it says something to how they view Dubas at the very least.

I think you should tell the players that this is on par with the All-Star game because they seem to want to take this seriously.

We have no idea how he is viewed around the league. I'm guessing like most, some would like him and some wouldn't.
They wouldn't have a pointless role.
What do you think his role entails?

The quotes from Armstrong seem to mention team building a fair bit, not sure of the exact role, but it doesn't seem to be what you posted before.

I'm sure being from the Leafs did not hurt his cause.

Being from Penguins ... when they didn't even make the playoffs ... unlikely to move the needle.

I think people are capable of looking at the moves and roster construction that GMs make without looking at the results and determine if it is someone they want.

I am assuming this is why people like Treliving, because his results are terrible and he helped ruin the Flames, so it can't be because of results.

I also think the Penguins not making the playoffs had little to do with Dubas and more to do with their entire core approaching retirement age, but you can argue that he ruined the team if you want but I think he was told to go all in while the core was there, and then rebuild after, it seemed to be the plan for the last few years, not sure why it'd change.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think people are capable of looking at the moves and roster construction that GMs make without looking at the results and determine if it is someone they want.

I am assuming this is why people like Treliving, because his results are terrible and he helped ruin the Flames, so it can't be because of results.

I also think the Penguins not making the playoffs had little to do with Dubas and more to do with their entire core approaching retirement age, but you can argue that he ruined the team if you want but I think he was told to go all in while the core was there, and then rebuild after, it seemed to be the plan for the last few years, not sure why it'd change.

Oh, I agree he didn't ruin the Penguins, but it isn't like he did anything there that makes you go "winner."

I don't have a problem with Dubas, but he was a failure in Toronto. I would have liked very much to see him succeed, but facts don't support that. Keefe may have been his biggest issue though.

Treliving OTOH ... Flames are begrudgingly rebuilding.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I don't think it matters all that much to be honest, but some people are so miserable they need to come in and try to diminish the role to something it is not...

Hockey Canada does seem to try to go out and get the best people they can for these roles, so it says something to how they view Dubas at the very least.

I think you should tell the players that this is on par with the All-Star game because they seem to want to take this seriously.

The quotes from Armstrong seem to mention team building a fair bit, not sure of the exact role, but it doesn't seem to be what you posted before.

Are the results dubas got here suppose to be cheered at or something? Theres context to everything. I think the flames ownership had a much bigger hand in destroying the flames than Treliving himself. Kinda think its a similar situation here tbh, with ownership not allowing specific players to be potentially moved. But its all just speculation at the end of the day.

Oh, I agree he didn't ruin the Penguins, but it isn't like he did anything there that makes you go "winner."

I don't have a problem with Dubas, but he was a failure in Toronto. I would have liked very much to see him succeed, but facts don't support that. Keefe may have been his biggest issue though.

Gimmie the creative summer the caps have done over whatever the f*** Dubas did last year with the Pens.

Reactions: Pinkcat

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Are the results dubas got here suppose to be cheered at or something?

No one said they were...

Not sure there is a way to fix the Penguins outside of rebuilding...

No one has claimed Dubas' time a success from what I've seen.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
No one has claimed Dubas' time a success from what I've seen.
No one eh? How sure are you about that?

What does a director of player personnel do in a short tournament?
They direct player personnel. Kidding aside though:

" Professional sports DPPs assist in coordinating team travel, and player and team non-game public appearances, handling media coverage, as well as managing new player orientation"

Reactions: keonsbitterness

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
No one eh? How sure are you about that?

I am sure people have, but I don't think it happens often, I don't recall seeing it.

They direct player personnel. Kidding aside though:

" Professional sports DPPs assist in coordinating team travel, and player and team non-game public appearances, handling media coverage, as well as managing new player orientation"

Assuming you got it from this site: Director of Player Personnel Job Description

Did you just skip everything else they do by accident? Sounds like they help recruit players and evaluate talent as well. It explains why Armstrong is talking about him helping to build the team...

“Julien and Kyle are accomplished NHL general managers, and I am excited to welcome them to our management group for both the 4 Nations Face-Off and Olympics, as I believe they will be strong assets to a well-rounded management team,” Armstrong said in a statement to Hockey Canada. “Both Julien and Kyle have enjoyed long and successful careers, and we believe their experience and knowledge of NHL players will be a great addition to our staff as we continue to evaluate Canadian players and build rosters for international competition.”

Reactions: uncleben

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Being GM for the Leafs definitely helps...where's that GM for Columbus that thinks the same way as Dubas? I'm certain if Dubas was GM for the Coyotes, he wouldn't be in the same position. Don't downplay all the exposure and coverage he received as GM for the Leafs, that he wouldn't have received being GM for a smaller franchise base. He has alot to be thankful for Shanahan and MLSE, despite the way he left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad