Around the League: Hockey Is In the Air...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymondo316

Nov 11, 2007
Maidstone England
I cant get my head around why you would pay someone who's never scored 20 goals over 5 million a year for 6 years.

The bizarre thing is some people actually think this is a good deal.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Cody Ceci asking for $6m wow I hope he wins that he isn’t worth close to that. Luckily we have Rielly locked up because of ceci gets $6m Rielly is worth $8m

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Cody Ceci asking for $6m wow I hope he wins that he isn’t worth close to that. Luckily we have Rielly locked up because of ceci gets $6m Rielly is worth $8m

you hope he wins because he's not worth that? what?
(sorry i have pre-morning tea brain LOL)

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
its called the flawed playoff performer contract. Bolland got it from the panthers, Bickel got it from the hawks, Clarkson who also had a good season got it from the leafs. hell Horton got it from Columbus for the work he did in Boston. its a case of what you did lately not what have you done constantly. . I know my examples are just the ones that popped at the top of my head im sure they're are a couple more to list.

Caps fans seem happy with it so all the power to them but the one thing you can say about all the contracts I listed is they didn't keep going much longer. With that said Wilson is only 24 and there is nothing to say he wont improve with the security of the deal. But with that he better be really careful with the suspensions cause they aren't going to be short anymore and when your making 5+ mill a year your team cant afford losing you for extended periods.

Personally I thought they would have done a 2-3 mill x 2 year bridge deal to make damn sure he was gonna still grow. I think anything over 3.5 was way to much but not my team not my player.

for example. to me that be like us giving willy 10 mill 3-3.5 too much.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Toronto Maple Leafs: Why The CBA Needs To Change

by Michael Joubran16 hours agoFollow @joubranmichael

The current CBA gives a huge advantage to teams like the Tampa Bay Lightning over the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Under the current Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), teams like the Toronto Maple Leafs have a disadvantage when it comes to how much a player actually earns.
To demonstrate, I am going to use John Tavares’ contract as an example. With the tool of TSN’s Tavares Calculator we are able to see just how big of a difference there actually is. There are currently five NHL teams without income taxes; Tampa, Florida Panthers, Dallas Stars, Nashville Predators and the Vegas Golden Knights.
Tavares signed with the Leafs on July 1st, 2018 for $77,000,000 over seven seasons. Over those seven seasons, Tavares will actually earn $36,000,000 (which would be an AAV of $5.14M). His current AAV of $11M is more than double than what it would be if income taxes were not included.
How The Income Tax Hurts Different Teams

So why is this not fair? Well, it is pretty simple. Teams like Tampa can offer their players less money against the salary cap while still offering more money in terms of actual salary earned. While Tavares has an AAV of $11M with Toronto, he could have an AAV of $8.5M with Tampa and still earn more money. Tavares is earning $36M in Toronto, he would be earning $37.5M in Tampa while costing the team $2.5M less on the salary cap.
This is an unfair advantage that some teams have and others do not. Essentially, Tampa can off players the same amount of money without taking the same cap hit.
What do I think needs to change? That is easy of course. Take out the income tax from the salary cap. Only charge against a team what the player is actually receiving. This takes away the advantage that teams like Tampa have. Tampa has signed their core players for way cheaper than they should be able to. Steven Stamkos and Victor Hedman should both be above $10M per season but they are at $8.5M and $7.875M respectively.
On a team like Toronto, in order to be receiving the same amount of money Stamkos would need $11.5M and Hedman would need around $10.3M. That is a difference of $5.425M in cap space per season. That can get you a good top four defenceman or second line winger.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
I don't think Bettman minds the cba at the moment. Its the teams with the lowest tax rates that typically need the most help.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I don't think Bettman minds the cba at the moment. Its the teams with the lowest tax rates that typically need the most help.

The problem is why are there teams (mostly in the US) that need financial help, when additional teams in Canada are continually left out of the Expansion process citing the weak Canadian dollar.

Remove the Hard Cap or Prorate the Cap for level playing field and Stop putting teams in Localities that cannot generate enough capital to be viable

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

The current CBA gives a huge advantage to teams like the Tampa Bay Lightning over the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Under the current Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), teams like the Toronto Maple Leafs have a disadvantage when it comes to how much a player actually earns.
To demonstrate, I am going to use John Tavares’ contract as an example. With the tool of TSN’s Tavares Calculator we are able to see just how big of a difference there actually is. There are currently five NHL teams without income taxes; Tampa, Florida Panthers, Dallas Stars, Nashville Predators and the Vegas Golden Knights.
Tavares signed with the Leafs on July 1st, 2018 for $77,000,000 over seven seasons. Over those seven seasons, Tavares will actually earn $36,000,000 (which would be an AAV of $5.14M). His current AAV of $11M is more than double than what it would be if income taxes were not included.

So why is this not fair? Well, it is pretty simple. Teams like Tampa can offer their players less money against the salary cap while still offering more money in terms of actual salary earned. While Tavares has an AAV of $11M with Toronto, he could have an AAV of $8.5M with Tampa and still earn more money. Tavares is earning $36M in Toronto, he would be earning $37.5M in Tampa while costing the team $2.5M less on the salary cap.
This is an unfair advantage that some teams have and others do not. Essentially, Tampa can off players the same amount of money without taking the same cap hit.
What do I think needs to change? That is easy of course. Take out the income tax from the salary cap. Only charge against a team what the player is actually receiving. This takes away the advantage that teams like Tampa have. Tampa has signed their core players for way cheaper than they should be able to. Steven Stamkos and Victor Hedman should both be above $10M per season but they are at $8.5M and $7.875M respectively.
On a team like Toronto, in order to be receiving the same amount of money Stamkos would need $11.5M and Hedman would need around $10.3M. That is a difference of $5.425M in cap space per season. That can get you a good top four defenceman or second line winger.

Eh been gone over a million times, factor in Jt is paid $11m USD and buys his house, food and any toys in CAD and the exchange rate. It’s not nearly as big an advantage as it’s made out to be

Edit: he earns $14.3m CAD

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Also worth mentioning there are a ton of loopholes that athletes can take advantage of - especially considering they play 50% of their games in other regions

Reactions: Walshy7

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Also worth mentioning there are a ton of loopholes that athletes can take advantage of - especially considering they play 50% of their games in other regions

Yep and odog (I think) was talking about loopholes they can create by registering a certain way with the tax office.

I’ve said it before but if this was as big a deal as fans and media make it out to be don’t you think Canadian teams, New York teams and California teams would be fighting it by now?

Reactions: kb

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I cant get my head around why you would pay someone who's never scored 20 goals over 5 million a year for 6 years.

The bizarre thing is some people actually think this is a good deal.
It is old school thinking. There was a time when some forwards weren't known for their offensive output. Now everyone is expected to contribute

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

This isn't completely true. Structured properly, Canadian teams' players can reduce their taxes to around 25% through trust mechanisms that defer taxes

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Yep and odog (I think) was talking about loopholes they can create by registering a certain way with the tax office.

I’ve said it before but if this was as big a deal as fans and media make it out to be don’t you think Canadian teams, New York teams and California teams would be fighting it by now?
i might be clueless about this so i could def be wrong, but wouldnt being paid in american dollars and having all your expenses in canadian dollars lessen the severity of the hit? seems like it. that and i believe since players play 42 games at home only half of a players income would be non taxed in places such as tampa(plus games in other tax free states)? like i said, i could be wrong..just seems less of an issue than people are making it out to be.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
i might be clueless about this so i could def be wrong, but wouldnt being paid in american dollars and having all your expenses in canadian dollars lessen the severity of the hit? seems like it. that and i believe since players play 42 games at home only half of a players income would be non taxed in places such as tampa(plus games in other tax free states)? like i said, i could be wrong..just seems less of an issue than people are making it out to be.

Yeah that’s what I’m saying, it isn’t as big a deal as it’s made out to be maybe I didn’t word it right.

Also I have no idea how this works but JT technically has a salary of $900k so wouldn’t $10.1m (his bonuses) be taxed 100% where it was paid, in this case Ontario.

Reactions: djdev

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Yeah that’s what I’m saying, it isn’t as big a deal as it’s made out to be maybe I didn’t word it right.

Also I have no idea how this works but JT technically has a salary of $900k so wouldn’t $10.1m (his bonuses) be taxed 100% where it was paid, in this case Ontario.
ye i think i wasnt clear either, i was basically just agreeing with you haha. everyone makes a big stink about it but i think its way less of an issue once all is said and done.

Reactions: Walshy7

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
For everyone saying the tax rates do not matter (they actually don't if you have a decent tax guy too much) because in Canada players earn in USD and spend in CAD, this is not true. Purchase Price Parity, although a theoretical concept still hold somewhat true in that the price of a good in Canada is that much more expensive due to the exchange rate compared to the USD. Now this isn't perfect through all goods and services, but we can easily see that the cost of living in a place such as Toronto is a lot higher than the state of Florida. The new CBA ideally should have a kicker for cost of living and while that is not practical, they should at least try with evening out the tax rates. Although like I said, in the long term the tax rate impact is minimal with a good tax planner, every penny counts and for some of the players that are not stars, the rate can have a material impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad