Around the League 45: The Stanley Cup is in God's Waiting Room

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
When they suddenly aren’t playing Buffalo?
:)

Devils could be legit now that their D is getting healthy. Let's see how they look with the full squad and have had some time to gel. For me it's about how they look defensively. We know they have weapons, new coach, new goalies, but can they gap up and clear big boys from the crease? Are they actually more playoff-ready, or do they just look that way on paper? Even as big of a fan of the Canes as I am, it's hard to look at both our roster and theirs and say that our roster looks better.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
When they suddenly aren’t playing Buffalo?
I still think they will ultimately have a good season and have a good shot at the playoffs. I was also one of the folks that mentioned that they had a f*** ton of ground to make up from where they finished last year and winning the offseason doesn't always translate to being the best team. I think their goalie tandem was fairly overrated by many people though it will be better if they settle in with Pesce and Hughes back.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
:)

Devils could be legit now that their D is getting healthy. Let's see how they look with the full squad and have had some time to gel. For me it's about how they look defensively. We know they have weapons, new coach, new goalies, but can they gap up and clear big boys from the crease? Are they actually more playoff-ready, or do they just look that way on paper? Even as big of a fan of the Canes as I am, it's hard to look at both our roster and theirs and say that our roster looks better.
Its a team sport, its really hard to judge how good a team is going to be by just the roster. RBA has proven time and again he can coach a group of guys to be a team. Has Keefe ever done that?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
IMO I think the Devils are going to sink or swim based on how well Pesce fits in to their defense. Their biggest need for years has been a stay at home defenseman who excels at preventing shots on goal and keeping the puck away from the net. Pesce fits their needs perfectly.

If he has them able to ice a defensive line like we had with him and Skjei, it completely changes how NJ is able to play. They would be able to better neutralize the opposing offensive attack, and should have more outlets for their offense to work. On paper, him coming back in should have them looking like one of the best teams in the league, if not the best.

But, he also isn't as quick as he used to be and does tend to get injured fairly frequently. And there is no guarantee he gels with anyone on their defense, and his style might not translate to the speed they want to play, so who knows, it might all be like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
IMO I think the Devils are going to sink or swim based on how well Pesce fits in to their defense. Their biggest need for years has been a stay at home defenseman who excels at preventing shots on goal and keeping the puck away from the net. Pesce fits their needs perfectly.

If he has them able to ice a defensive line like we had with him and Skjei, it completely changes how NJ is able to play. They would be able to better neutralize the opposing offensive attack, and should have more outlets for their offense to work. On paper, him coming back in should have them looking like one of the best teams in the league, if not the best.

But, he also isn't as quick as he used to be and does tend to get injured fairly frequently. And there is no guarantee he gels with anyone on their defense, and his style might not translate to the speed they want to play, so who knows, it might all be like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
Pesce of today ain't the same Pesce of 3-5 years ago for us. Last year he had dropped off considerably in my view and Skjei was doing the heavier lifting on the pairing. The year before he had started to show signs of decline. I don't think he'll be the answer for NJ. He should help them for the next couple years but not as much as they hoped when they signed him. I'm a big fan and while I'm not happy he went to NJ I do still want to see him personally do well and get/stay healthy. I just don't think it'll happen the way they all expect.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

I just don't see Pesce making that big a difference. One guy out of six is not going to change the effectiveness of their D-core. It may given them a little bump up, but it is not a step change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad